Hello all. New to MFP and frustrated!!

DIAMOND89
DIAMOND89 Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi I am a 5'1 female and weigh 182 lbs and I would like to lose maybe 20 lbs by the summer. I am on a 1200 calorie diet which consist of lots of protien fruits and veggies. I work out 4-5 times a week at a minimum of 30 minutes a day. I've been at this since February 15th and I have lost and gained 1lb! I am wondering if my body is going thru starvation mode. I seem to have lost a few inches but the scale is showing nothing! Help please with any advice. Thanks all :)

Replies

• PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    If you are working out often you are probably gaining muscle. This will increase the weight on the scale but you are trimming down and firming up.
    I had lost 15 lbs a few years ago but had dropped 3 clothing sizes.. I was working out like a mad-woman so I had gained a lot of muscle. I didn't lose many pounds but I lost a lot of inches!
  • From what I've read on MFP--several posts regarding this...1200 cals is not enough to sustain you if you are exercising! That's the beauty of MFP. You track your exercise and then you will be able to add those calories to the 1200 calories. You are very likely putting your body into starvation/storage mode!

Welcome, by the way...I hope you will find this site to be as useful as I have! MFP is excellent and very helpful! Not to mention all the support you will receive from other users!
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    I'd stick to measurements at first... if you weren't normally a person to work out you're probably building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat:flowerforyou:
  • BIG question is are you eating your exercise calories? you need to eat more if you are working out.
  • panther87
    panther87 Posts: 78 Member
    Welcome to the site, Glad youre here! I have been at this weight loss thing since December 2 and i can tell you it has been a journey. I walk 6 days a week. some days its long and some days is only 30-35 mins. I do weights and strength training 3-4 days a week. When you add your exercise to the site you will notice your calorie will increase. Try to eat all the calories you can, and in a good way. Add a another salad to your meal, whole wheat bread and peanut butter for a snack with fruit, just dont add the junk. Or if you know its a special occasion use some for a 'special' night out or event. Glad your here, sorry I am a little windy, but you have come to the right web site. There are also some must reads for 'Newbies" on the site too. Best wishes.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    this happened to me at first too., I was eating 1200 and not losing. I up my calories to 1400-1500.....stepped up my cardio and it started coming off. I dont think 1200 calories is enough for anyone to live on without starving!

oh yea, and make sure you get enough protein, that is very important!
  • Thanks all for input!!!

Some days I do eat my exercise calories then some
    I don't. Does that make a big difference?

Also I forgot to add that I am addicted to eating popcorn everyday. I'm not sure if this is a bad habit or not but could this have something to do with me not dropping any lbs?
  • PinkKitty724
    PinkKitty724 Posts: 179 Member
    Popcorn shouldn't be bad. Just limit it a bit perhaps.. are you eating movie theater butter on a normal size bag, or are you eating a 100 calorie mini bag? That's what I eat.. in both butter and the kettle corn. It's a good snack and they are a decent size package!
  • Actually I pop the popcorn myself (not the microwave bag) I think I do need to cut down a bit...maybe I should try the popcorn bags so I will know exactly how many calories I am consuming when I do eat it.

I will try to up my calories and increase my cardio and see if that will help. I have a long way to go. 20 lbs is just my short term goal and thats why I feel so frustrated.
  • I'd stick to measurements at first... if you weren't normally a person to work out you're probably building muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat:flowerforyou:

Maybe if I take actual measurements that would help huh? (duh lol) I was so focused on what the scale said I wasn't conserned with my measurements.

I will make sure I take measurements today! thanks
  • I started exercising faithfully last fall and I'm finally noticing results! I used to be able to drop weight easily when I was younger but not anymore! Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.