Question for Runners

Options
I have been running seriously for almost a year. In that time I have read a lot and maybe learned a lot too. I train 3 days a week. 4 - WT - 6 - WT - R - 12+ - CT (I used to do 6, but I am running much longer distances now getting ready for a half marathon). I have what I call easy run days for my long run (10 min. miles), I do tempo runs from time-to-time (9:15-9:30) for a 10K and I do short runs where I run about (9:00) - and every few months I do some speed runs where I just push it whatever I can do it at - usually about (8:00) for a 5K or 55 min for a 10K.

Today I was reading about training runs and based on past history it suggested I run 11:00 minute miles. My 10 minute miles feel slow and my heart rate is about 130-140; I can easily carry on a conversation. My question is this, how do actually run that slow? It seems like I am forcing it and changing my style, where the 10 min/mi pace seems much smoother. I don't know if it matters that I am 6' 1" or not. Maybe it's just a suggestion and the benefit might not even be there for the 11/min/mi.

Replies

• Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Being at a conversational pace is the key. If a 10 min/mile is a good conversational pace for you, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Run backwards !
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    With a HR that low for your 10 minute miles, I think you're fine to stay where you are!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you are taking a rest day after every run then slowing down some is less important than when running every day.

If you are using a heart rate monitor then you could use these zones that I got from the book Advanced Marathoning, by Pete Pfitzinger. At least for me they give pretty much the same ranges I get from several other calculation methods. Run by HR and then you don't have to worry about pace

Numbers below are % Heart Rate Reserve (HRR)

Recovery 50 to 70
    General Aerobic / Easy. 62 to 75
    Long & Medium Long 65 to 78
    Marathon Pace. 73 to 84
    Lactate Threshold (Tempo). 77 to 88
    VO2max (5k pace). 91 to 94
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Really good suggestions so far! Thanks.
  • therapyruns
    therapyruns Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your body and not force yourself to run slower than what is actually comfortable.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Today I was reading about training runs and based on past history it suggested I run 11:00 minute miles. My 10 minute miles feel slow and my heart rate is about 130-140; I can easily carry on a conversation. My question is this, how do actually run that slow? It seems like I am forcing it and changing my style, where the 10 min/mi pace seems much smoother. I don't know if it matters that I am 6' 1" or not. Maybe it's just a suggestion and the benefit might not even be there for the 11/min/mi.

I'm 6'2" and running much slower than a 10:00 pace is awkward. If I had to run a 11:00 pace I'd be tempted to just walk fast. That might be easier. I think you're doing exactly the right thing. I'm no professional runner or anything but your leg length is going to make a pace that slow just weird. I did a 10 mile run this weekend at a 9:53 pace and that was with me constantly thinking "Take it slow and easy". Default easy speed at the moment is about 9:20 - 9:30. If I don't think about my speed or care I end up in that mode and I can carry a conversation just fine in that range. An 11:00 mile would make me look like a crippled runner I think.