vegetarians?

VSgirl2010
VSgirl2010 Posts: 145 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm just wondering if there are any vegans or vegetarians on here? I am probably the only vegetarian in existance that gained weight going veggy 5 years ago.....LOL- Any tips?

Replies

• modubb
    modubb Posts: 22
    Welcome!!! I am a life long (lacto-ovo) vegetarian, never even so much as tried meat in my 30 years of life (to include in the womb, mom is a vegetarian as well!)... and may I say congratulations to you for making a very health and environmentally wise decision!

Here is a basic tip I learned growing up: always have a colorful plate. If you have mac'n'cheese, mashed potatoes and lima beans for dinner, well first of all you have a very boring looking plate, but chances are you are not getting the nutrients you need. So spruce it up a bit! Also, not sure how comfortable you are with tofu- but it adopts the flavor of anything you are preparing. Example, I mix it in my refried beans when I make enchiladas or mix it in with the ricotta and cottage cheeses for my lasagna.

Also, the peta website has a lot of great vegetarian dishes... or get yourself a good cookbook and explore!

Good luck!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    There are a BUNCH of vegetarians and vegans on here.
    I've been a vegetarian my entire life as was a vegan for three years (I still stick to many of the princples of veganisim though).
    I'd say over 1/2 of my friends list are veg...feel free to take a look.
  • VSgirl2010
    YAY!! Thank goodness!! I was a meat eater for 35 yrs. Off and on I wanted to go vegetarian because it just seemed like the right thing for me but I never knew how w/o eating only salad all the time and I was surrounded by carnivores so I had no support and was always told I was silly. That has since changed. My mom and brother are vegan and my future husband has been vegetarian for 25 yrs. He's not a good teacher though.....in my opinion he eats too much dairy and too many carbs but I can't convince him of that.....LOL I decided to go vegetarian 7 years ago (now that I do the math) and I am happier mentally but it seems I must be doing something wrong?? I think I ate a lot of processed foods maybe like veggie burgers and veggie chicken and soy which can play havok on your hormones (I'm now reading). My brother eats what he wants and also needs to lose weight or I'd ask him what he thinks I might be doing wrong?? but seriously- I understood if you went veggie weightloss was an side effect which I would welcome- hasn't happened. I'm having lab work this week to determine if there is anything else going on- If not, then it MUST be how and what I am eating......??? OH and yes, I eat tofu!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    YAY!! Thank goodness!! I was a meat eater for 35 yrs. Off and on I wanted to go vegetarian because it just seemed like the right thing for me but I never knew how w/o eating only salad all the time and I was surrounded by carnivores so I had no support and was always told I was silly. That has since changed. My mom and brother are vegan and my future husband has been vegetarian for 25 yrs. He's not a good teacher though.....in my opinion he eats too much dairy and too many carbs but I can't convince him of that.....LOL I decided to go vegetarian 7 years ago (now that I do the math) and I am happier mentally but it seems I must be doing something wrong?? I think I ate a lot of processed foods maybe like veggie burgers and veggie chicken and soy which can play havok on your hormones (I'm now reading). My brother eats what he wants and also needs to lose weight or I'd ask him what he thinks I might be doing wrong?? but seriously- I understood if you went veggie weightloss was an side effect which I would welcome- hasn't happened. I'm having lab work this week to determine if there is anything else going on- If not, then it MUST be how and what I am eating......??? OH and yes, I eat tofu!

Feel free to look at my food diary, it's public and can give you an idea of what I eat.
  • VSgirl2010
    I will- thank you very much :smile:
This discussion has been closed.