Replies

• 19kat55
    19kat55 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    You could also try making fists and doing pushups that way instead of hands flat on the floor. I seem to get a nasty bible bump on my wrist if I do too many regular pushups, so I alternate with knuckle pushups.

This is what I do. I also use dumbbells in lieu of push-up bars. Good luck! :)
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    make sure you're hands are shoulder width apart and make sure your wrist crease is facing forward. Make your clavicle smile and lower, and push up. This is how its explained in yoga, it helps me.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    In your profile pic you are holding a baby... New mama? New mamas are notorious for having wrist issues, carpal tunnel, etc. This may be temporary and due to the awkward ways we hold babies :)

If not - push up handles for sure, or try your knuckles - use a thick pilates mat or two yoga mats for that though.

Yoga will help. You use your wrists a lot - down dog, etc. Plus the only reason I can do pushups now is all of the "yoga pushups" I have done.
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Just tried doing some pushups with closed fists, keeping wrists straight. Didn't hurt my wrists! Didn't feel too great on my knuckles, but just discomfort, nothing major. Will try using weights or getting pushup handles to ease that discomfort. Thanks everyone!

Use a folded towel under your knuckles, or use push-up bars.

I have same problem, my right wrist wont bend beyond 20 degrees due to an old injury and I use the bars with no problems.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    make sure you're hands are shoulder width apart and make sure your wrist crease is facing forward. Make your clavicle smile and lower, and push up. This is how its explained in yoga, it helps me.

Yoga would definitely help.

Align your wrists to be just under your shoulders and your wrist creases facing forward, then press all four fingers and thumb into the floor or mat so you can see them turning slightly white.

Then suck the middle - the palm of both hands upward as if there is a hot coin under each palm. This causes the energy to draw upward through your arms to the shoulders, rather than your weight sinking down your arms through flattened hands. As you push up, keep your hands drawing up and let your elbows brush your ribs instead of splaying them outward.

If you align your hands and arms in this way, pull your shoulders down your back and tuck your pelvis forward you should find your push-ups feel much stronger. You may not be able to do as many push-ups this way, but they will be real ones.

Hope this helps.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try those squeezy things for improving grip strength? They are kind of like secatuers or big plyers but with a metal coil in the middle - sorry I don't know what they're called. You can just sit squeezing them at work or watching telly or whatever.