Just started and a little concerned..

Options
Okay.. so I have just started and am already concerned. Day four is here and so far on day one I went over my calories by 200 or so. The second day I was under my calories by about 200 with a workout. Day three I was over by about 160 (I let myself have a glass of wine.. it was "one of those days"). Today I am going to be under especially because I have a mile jog planned for after work.

For working out I plan to do Jillian Michael's Shred- it's a 30 day program, go for walks and jogs and also do pilates a couple of days a week. I don't really plan to go to the gym simply because for one, it's expensive and two, it is hard to get there when I work till 5 and do not want to exercise too late into the evening as it may mess up my sleep pattern.. plus I have school work most days because I am also a student.

I see people here that have a hard time actually losing weight until they increase their calories because the 1200 that MFP recommended wasn't working for them. Understanding that MFP adds the exercise calories to your daily goal, they still have a hard time with taking the weight off. I almost feel like I am setting myself up for that type of situation with my fluctuations of meeting, coming in under, and coming in over my caloric goal.

I am probably just panicking too soon into it and should give it time but I also want to make sure I am initiating the best possible plan I can to see results.. :frown:

Replies

• durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    All you can do is adjust on the fly. Don't let one week determine your whole course. Just resolve to do better.

Good luck, take care.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up. It takes time to get used to eating a certain amount of calories when you're not used to it. It took me a good month to get it under control and then I just got refined by joining MFP :happy:
  • AmyLynn4321
    AmyLynn4321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I actually started tracking everything on here about 2 weeks before I officially started (we are doing a Biggest Loser challenge at work) It really helped to just see where i was at and make adjustments.
    I always stay between 1200 and 1350 (what it allows me) and never eat exercise calories. I have been consistenly losing 2lbs a week (after my initial drop the first two weeks).
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's ok to be over 200 one day and under 200 the next, if you average the 2 days, it comes out that you met your goals right on. Some people actually swear better success by this because it changes up your metabolism a bit. You only need to worry if you are consistantly over or way under.
  • dpressman
    dpressman Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    one of the things that has really helped me in my weight loss is cutting out the carbs except for the carbs in veggies. Not easy to do - but it is possible. I have lost 85 pounds so far (in two years) and I feel awesome. I have more to lose but i am on the right track - finally. Even if you don't cut carbs completely, make sure that you eat a balanced meal - lean protein, healthy fats (olive oil) and carbs (in the form of veggies - but if not - whole grain carbs - brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.) It is really easy to stay within your calorie range if this is the way you are eating - you can't really overeat veggies ;-)

Hope that helps....
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    I know seeing those red numbers can be stressful, but don't let it get to you on your first week. It's going to take a little time to get used to logging everything and planning your day ahead. One thing you can do to help with the wine is try and save about 100-150 calories for the end of every day. I always leave that much open and every night fill it in with something a little different - a skinny cow, a glass of wine, a little extra honey in my tea... a little fruit sorbet.

This way I can have whatever dessert, treat or alcohol (I feel you there on "one of those days") that I want at the end of the day.

The best thing you can do to not see-saw on your totals is to plan ahead. I buy and total up lunch meals, dinner meals and breakfasts and stock up on a lot of yogurts and granola bars and such as snacks. Most of what I cook is pretty similar as far as calories and so they're practically interchangeable.

Long story short, you'll get your little tricks down and get used to the daily math of adding all your calories and when you do things will even out.

Don't panic too soon. Good luck!