Post Mastectomy/ post reconstructive surgery bra question?

HonestOmnivore
HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm currently about 9 months away from having a double prophylactic mastectomy with breast reconstruction surgery. I'm trying to get down closer to my ideal weight range before the surgery to help with both the physical toll of the surgery and to improve the aesthetics of the outcome.

Assuming I get the standard expandable implants I'd be aiming to replace my current C cup breasts with ones the equivalent size. What kind of sports bra is needed for the new girls? I understand they're hard and immobile? If I invest in some good running bras now - will I still be able to use them?

I'm in a quandary because I'm on a very tight budget. Do I invest in some good bras or not worry about them now since they're heading to the great beyond?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Depends on your doctor. My plastic surgeon didn't have me wear anything special - I still wear a very thin sports style bra but very very little support - more of a fabric layer than support--only reason I do that is to cover the nipple and aerola tatoos...no need for it! (I had bilateral mastectomies in 2005 followed up with chemo then expanders now implants.)

I wouldn't worry about it - but best advice would be ask your doctor what he prefers that you do.
    Good luck!

If I can help - please let me know!
  • I had a bilateral mastectomy followed by chemo and reconstruction 2 years ago. My plastic surgeon does not want me to ever wear a sports bra due to too much compression. I think he is afraid it will expand the pocket that the implants are in and they won't be situated in the right place. He also preaches to me about having proper support i.e., underwire bras. I don't wear them now, (I used to all of the time) because they seem more uncomfortable since I've had my reconstruction. Hope this helps!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    While I have no information on post-surgical needs, I can say that if you are going to be using your running bras fairly frequently (i.e. three or four times a week) it's possible that they may actually wear out by the time you're ready to start running again nine or more months from now. Most bra manufacturers suggest that bras only remain "good" for about six months. After that time period, if they've been worn frequently, the elasticity declines and the material will begin to degrade. Therefore, I say invest in a good sports bra now, and re-evaluate after the surgery if you will need something different.
  • HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    themethod - excellent point! Wearing out a sports bra was never something I had to worry about :tongue: ! I've only thrown them out from age when the elastic dies... This 'wearing them out' concept is crazy - like running shoes (a person can wear out running shoes in less than a year? WHO KNEW!):laugh:
This discussion has been closed.