Chinese Food Buffet

Options
What are healthy choices when at a Chinese food buffet restaurant? I have a meeting tomorrow night and won't be able to eat ahead of time. Of course I know fried foods are absolutely not the best choice.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Katie_a_Mae_zing
    Options
    Here are some sites with some good tips:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=82061

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/eat-healthy-chinese-buffet-20347.html

http://www.livestrong.com/article/70082-foods-eat-chinese-buffet/

You might also want to scout ahead of time to see if nutritional information is available, and you can plan your attack. :) Good Luck!
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Great tips, thank you!
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to help is stay away from the carbs. Noodles, rice, spring rolls and stick to the meats.

Or just have what you want! You're allowed a treat every now and then!
  • seashell99z
    Options
    I totally agree with the treat every now and then, but I'm striving to hit 50 pound loss by March 31. :glasses:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sushi if its a decent place is always tasty but rice heavy. Meats without sweet sauces. Same with vegetables.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Eat zero fried items and instead eat all grilled items --including white rice.
  • seashell99z
    Options
    Great tips everyone! I've got a plan and I'm going to stick with it!

Hot and Sour Soup
    Meat that has zero breading
    1/2 cup white rice
    There is always a salad/fresh fruit bar

I think I'll do just fine
  • lovinglifemore
    lovinglifemore Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    wonton soup
    plain leaf salad with healthy toppings
    baked salmon
    grilled chicken (skewered)
    steamed brocoli
    fresh fruit
    stir fry shrimp
    frozen yogurt

I did this last week, planned ahead and stuck to my list. Good luck and enjoy!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    teryaki chicken and steamed/boiled veggies.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Last time I ate @ a chinese food buffet...and I emphasize LAST...I found a piece of a chore boy (that steel scrubbing pad) in my food!! Oh heck no!! I'd avoid they place like the plague!! If you MUST go....eat first...
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Best idea is to stay away, far away. It has been my biggest downfall. It's all so good. Buffets are how I gained my weight in the first place. But seafood is low in cals... so lots of crab legs and shrimp that don't have much sauce. I can't go or I pay for it for a few days. Good luck.
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    Oooo..... buffets are dangerous!!
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Last time I ate @ a chinese food buffet...and I emphasize LAST...I found a piece of a chore boy (that steel scrubbing pad) in my food!! Oh heck no!! I'd avoid they place like the plague!! If you MUST go....eat first...

What, because all Chinese restaurants are the same? *rolls eyes*
  • alucas12017
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! I was dreading having to go to a a Chinese Buffet tonight, thanks for all the great tips
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What are healthy choices when at a Chinese food buffet restaurant? I have a meeting tomorrow night and won't be able to eat ahead of time. Of course I know fried foods are absolutely not the best choice.

Any suggestions?

Any of it could be called healthy. If you are actually talking about low-calorie, then just skip the rice and the deep-fried stuff and go for the fish or chicken and then veggies. Don't go back for seconds. Drink water or unsweetened hot tea and skip the desserts.