Stairmaster. Mostly cardio, some strength....

Options
... All cardio, No strengthing?

I'm trying to justify my only form of exercise at the gym. Can i say i'm also strength training? :wink:

I was told that the Quads are the biggest muscle of the body and that if you work them enough, those muscles will burn calories even after your workout.:huh: It sounded a little silly, but now that i'm in :heart: with the stairmaster, I want to believe it.

A traininer told a friend of mine. Is this true? I'm serious though.

Thanks. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true, though.

If you want strength training, you really need a full-body routine.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Sorry, the stair master is not strength training. If you want to strength train your legs, get to squatting and deadlifting. Lunges are great as well. Nice, big compound movements. And, don't neglect your upper body. Get in some bench press, over head press and bent over rows, too. Try some pull ups or lat pulldowns if you have access to that equipment as well (I don't. :().
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    You can say whatever you want. Doesn't make it true, though.

If you want strength training, you really need a full-body routine.

So i'm really reaching. :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Thanks for the reality check,
  • spicy618
    Options
    Sorry, the stair master is not strength training. If you want to strength train your legs, get to squatting and deadlifting. Lunges are great as well. Nice, big compound movements. And, don't neglect your upper body. Get in some bench press, over head press and bent over rows, too. Try some pull ups or lat pulldowns if you have access to that equipment as well (I don't. :().

Hi and thanks. :flowerforyou:

Yes, all those you've mentioned are what i was afraid of. :laugh: But not too afraid. :wink:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It'll work the muscles, but it won't develop strength... so it really depends on what you are looking for. Muscular endurance? Sure... it's good for that. Strengthening the muscle or encouraging new muscle growth? Not likely.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    I highly recommend weights. The book Starting Strength or the website for StrongLifts 5x5 are great places to start. (And women seem to do well with New Rules of Lifting for Women).
  • spicy618
    Options
    It'll work the muscles, but it won't develop strength... so it really depends on what you are looking for. Muscular endurance? Sure... it's good for that. Strengthening the muscle or encouraging new muscle growth? Not likely.

:frown: I thought i was at least building up some muscle in my Quads. :frown:

• spicy618
    Options
    I highly recommend weights. The book Starting Strength or the website for StrongLifts 5x5 are great places to start. (And women seem to do well with New Rules of Lifting for Women).

I've read them both.

I'm going to a strength training class tonight. I've been resisting going to the weights because i'm so comfortable with cardio, This was my last excuse, I need strength for my health and quality of life for those older years. :flowerforyou:
  • jimmie65
    Options
    :smile:
    Good for you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Depending on what your quads were like before, it can build some muscle. And it likely will strength them. It's pretty easy to tell when your legs get stronger.
  • spicy618
    Options

Depending on what your quads were like before, it can build some muscle. And it likely will strength them. It's pretty easy to tell when your legs get stronger.

Thanks Bcattoes.:flowerforyou:

They have from when I first started exercising, but I think I've done all i can do with cardio alone. The good news. I just returned from that class i mentioned above and I feel really good. My arms are jelly, but that means I challenged myself.

:flowerforyou: