Ketogenic diet may be suitable for children.

Options
2»

Replies

• IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I laugh when people tell me low-carb is just a fad. Huh. Cause last time I checked diabetes wasn't a fad and yet if you check their meal plans its pretty low carb. As a matter of fact its what my dietitian and 2 other doctors recommend for me when we found out I was insulin resistant due to PCOS.
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    I laugh when people tell me low-carb is just a fad. Huh. Cause last time I checked diabetes wasn't a fad and yet if you check their meal plans its pretty low carb. As a matter of fact its what my dietitian and 2 other doctors recommend for me when we found out I was insulin resistant due to PCOS.

Low carb is not always the same thing as ketogenic. It's a matter of extremes.

Besides, this topic is about ketogenic diets for children, not for those who are diabetic or insulin resistant.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options

Low carb is not always the same thing as ketogenic. It's a matter of extremes.

Besides, this topic is about ketogenic diets for children, not for those who are diabetic or insulin resistant.
    Umm... but the reason why a child might be put on a diet in the first place is because they're insulin resistant or diabetic and markers for those things improved more on the ketogenic diet vs the low calorie diet.

Measured: anthropometric measurements, body composition,, lipidemic profile, high molecular weight (HMW) adiponectin, whole-body insulin sensitivity index (WBISI), and homeostatic model assessment-insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) were determined before and after each diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Children should not be placed on special diets, especially fad diets.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Children should not be placed on special diets, especially fad diets.
    In theory I agree with that but the fact is that A LOT of children are eating a diet that's making them fat and sick. If a "special diet" prevents that in the first place or reverses it after the fact I think it would be cruel not to treat them. Children should not have health concerns that used to be reserved for middle aged adults.
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    Umm... but the reason why a child might be put on a diet in the first place is because they're insulin resistant or diabetic and markers for those things improved more on the ketogenic diet vs the low calorie diet.

Measured: anthropometric measurements, body composition,, lipidemic profile, high molecular weight (HMW) adiponectin, whole-body insulin sensitivity index (WBISI), and homeostatic model assessment-insulin resistance (HOMA-IR) were determined before and after each diet.

Yes. I understand that. The problem is (as I've already mentioned), there is INSUFFICIENT evidence to ensure that this type of diet is safe for children, even diabetic children. Could it be safe? Yes. Could it be unsafe? Yes. My concern is brain development. Children are developing, learning, growing. Would you willingly place your child on a diet that might hamper that child's neurological development? Would you willingly place your child on a diet that might decrease that child's ability to learn?

I would like to see more research regarding the safety of ketogenic diets in children with special focus on brain function. I bring this to your attention (and anyone else who reads this thread) because I am uncomfortable leaving something unchallenged when it might affect the health of kids. Children can't make the choices adults make- they are subject to the whims of their parents. Adults may weight the benefits and risks of ketogenesis. Children can't. I hope that responsible parents will be aware of the literature available regarding ketogenesis and children. I hope that responsible parents will not assume that 'safe for adults' means 'safe for kids'. And I really hope that parents will not read your article and say 'good enough for me!' and start forcing children into ketosis when we simply do NOT know if it's safe for kids.

Now, of course, I could be wrong. Maybe there's a plethora of scientific, peer-reviewed clinical studies conducted on human children demonstrating that there is no difference between learning and brain development in children on a chronic ketogenic diet compared with children on a well-balanced 'western' diet. I would love to see this data if its available. I've not found it.
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    Keep in mind that ketogenic diets are not the only way to lose weight. Also, a 'low carb' diet doesn't necessarily mean a 'ketogenic' diet. Diabetic children can still eat low carb without going into ketosis.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Yes. I understand that. The problem is (as I've already mentioned), there is INSUFFICIENT evidence to ensure that this type of diet is safe for children, even diabetic children. Could it be safe? Yes. Could it be unsafe? Yes. My concern is... <snip>
    Of course, I think that falls under the realm of common sense.
  • Zerashen
    Zerashen Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an interesting study. My thing would be that if I had kids, I'd focus more on their exercise instead of worrying about their diet. I'd limit fast food, and try to add more veggies, but my focus would be going outside with them, encouraging them to sign up for a sport, etc..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Combo of vegan and primal or gtfo.

I'm sorry, what? Are you mentally disabled? This is by far the worst nutrition advice I've ever heard. Ever.
    Wow. That was rude as hell.
  • DrLabRat
    Options
    Of course, I think that falls under the realm of common sense.

Perhaps... but many people take one study and extrapolate. Just look at Dr. Oz and his following. All that bit on raspberry ketones? Based on a study in rats, not humans, and yet there are many who assume that what is good for the rat is good for the human.

"Common sense" really isn't that common :( Far too many (including physicians who should know better) also assume what is good for the adult human is good for the pediatric human.
  • DeniseB0711
    DeniseB0711 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses but I wanted to stop by and ad my thoughts to this discussion and perhaps someone could if I am wrong correct me.
    In the past I have tracked my child's intake of the macro nutrients and found something startling...he can very easily ingest up to 70% of his daily calories in Carbs. I'll be honest hear, but this includes sources like milk, whole grain bread, pastas, crackers, sodas, ect.
    Wouldn't in theory if a child either A. increased their activity level that would be suitable for such high carb intake. or B. simply reduced the amount of carbs they ate, they would be less fatty (note I said fatty, not overweight as we all know you can be overweight with a low body fat percentage).
    I wouldn't put a child on a SUPER low carb diet, but I would think reducing total carb intake to just 40% of the daily calorie intake would help with fat deposition...or are we arguing over whether or not fat makes us fat or carbs/sugar makes us fat?

Denise
  • Kmenczynski88
    Kmenczynski88 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Overweight children are overweight because of over consumption. Fricken parents just need to take note.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    I'm amazed that you remember to copy and paste your signature to every single post you make. It's obnoxious but I'm sure that kind of dedication and stick-to-it-ive-ness has served you well in life. Plus it makes it easy to skip over your posts when I've reached my limit for the day.

Yet it is the only logical response....
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I haven't read all of the responses but I wanted to stop by and ad my thoughts to this discussion and perhaps someone could if I am wrong correct me.
    In the past I have tracked my child's intake of the macro nutrients and found something startling...he can very easily ingest up to 70% of his daily calories in Carbs. I'll be honest hear, but this includes sources like milk, whole grain bread, pastas, crackers, sodas, ect.
    Wouldn't in theory if a child either A. increased their activity level that would be suitable for such high carb intake. or B. simply reduced the amount of carbs they ate, they would be less fatty (note I said fatty, not overweight as we all know you can be overweight with a low body fat percentage).
    I wouldn't put a child on a SUPER low carb diet, but I would think reducing total carb intake to just 40% of the daily calorie intake would help with fat deposition...or are we arguing over whether or not fat makes us fat or carbs/sugar makes us fat?

Denise
    I don't know if there's really an argument going on here? I posted a link to a study that states children lost more weight and had better health markers on an ad lib ketogenic diet than the children who ate a calorie restricted diet and the authors concluded that a ketogenic diet may be suitable for children. Nothing really surprising, just one more study to add to the other studies (two that were linked to) that conclude low carb diets were safe and effective for children.

Some questioned the study methodology and others rightly pointed out you shouldn't mess with your children's diet willy nilly because of one single study. And of course there was a variation of "just eat less, stupid".