Weighing yourself every day?

Options
1235»

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    Everyday! Like Bob Harper says... I am a big girl and can handle it! I can tell when I have had too much sodium or not enough water. There is usually an explanation for the number, good or bad
    Exactly! Weighing daily can be very educational.
  • liztall01
    liztall01 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like weighing in every day when I remember. It keeps me on my toes. If it's pretty close or within a 2 lb range I don't worry. When it's three pounds I feel I caught it before it gets out of hand.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Not anymore. Only sometimes
  • jassyjan1
    jassyjan1 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day. It doesn't cause me to go crazy or stress me out to do so, either. It is just another tool that I used in my quest to achieve and now maintain my weight loss. It helps me determine what foods work for me and which don't and in what quantities. I don't freak out if the scale goes up a pound. I simply look at that pound and try to figure out what I did differently to make it appear. I weigh at the same time and under the same circumstances every morning so there are as few variables as possible.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I was weighing in every morning but all the fluctuating made me nuts so now I'm gonna try for only once a week.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Daily is obsessive and setting yourself up for failure, IMHO. I weigh in weekly. Friday mornings. Same time of the day. Same birthday suit. Measurements every two weeks.
  • smitty24
    Options
    I weigh in daily, but only have 1 official weigh in day where i log my weight

^This
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I have an Aria scale and weigh in multiple times each day. I don't relly care about what the scale says - I only really look at TrendWeight .com. I know I can be at lots of different weights (day before yesterday I was a 152.3 and this morning 148.9). None of that means much of anything. I sync TrendWeight.com with my scale so I know where I'm headed.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Daily - If it doesn't make you obsess, it's a really good way to know your normal fluctuations.
    ^^^this.
    Yup!
  • becky6m
    becky6m Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was weighing in every morning also. I felt like the "number" was controlling my life. So I joined the challenge to lose 5lbs this month. The weigh in is weekly. So I thought why not. The first week was very hard. But it has since then gotten easier.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost daily for the sake of monitoring my fluctuations and motivating a good day after seeing the consequences of a bad one. I check in on MFP only once every week or so. Sometimes less if I simply forget to weigh before I eat.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Daily is obsessive and setting yourself up for failure, IMHO. I weigh in weekly. Friday mornings. Same time of the day. Same birthday suit. Measurements every two weeks.

Only if you're the type who is going to let it drive you crazy. Personally I weigh every day now and I find it rather motivational. Used to be I'd weigh once a week and be discouraged if there was no change from one week to the next. Since I've started weighing every day (and tracking it with an app I downloaded for my phone that tracks actual weight and weight trend), I can see how much I fluctuate from day to day, and that despite that my general trend is downwards. Sometimes there is no change from one "official" weigh in day to the next, but the day before it and after it might be down. It can be really helpful, UNLESS you are going to get obsessive about it and let an uptick one day depress or discourage you.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday because it keeps me on track. I was weighing once a month and once a week and I was gaining because I stopped paying close attention. When I don't weigh way over 200 pounds I will stop weighing everyday. Some of the most successful people started off by weighing every day and keeping track of their food on diaries. It is important to work with what works for you and don't worry about what other people think.
  • candiada
    candiada Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every day. as soon as I get up. I step on the scale. it logs the weight for me (The Fitbit Aria Scale) I DO think it is obsessive, BUT i used to be worse. I now Limit myself to ONCE a day. I love the fact that the scale logs it for me. It makes the graphs I like to look back. I do not have an "Official" weigh in day. I thought I might do that but I don't... I just do it every morning. First thing. It can make you a little upset if you have a gain, but I think it keeps me on track better. Maybe when I get closer to my goal, Or after I reach it then I will go for once a week. But for now I have a long way to go.

Every day it is. (if you have a gain, there is always tomorrow. Mom always said Tomorrow is another day!:flowerforyou:
  • jjones62301
    jjones62301 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think, especially when you are just starting out, you can't help but weigh yourself every day. You want to see your progress and you want to see your results in the form of a number. As long as you don't obsess over that number, I think you'll be fine. Understand that it's possible to gain or lose 3-5lbs a day. Also understand that 5lbs of fat takes up more space than 5lbs of muscle so it's possible to gain muscle but lose inches (your measurements should be just as important as a number on a scale in my opinion). If it motivates you, keep weighing in every day. If it discourages you or if you have hit a plateau then it could be helpful to step off the scale for a full week. That being said, I've weighed myself every day (sometimes even twice a day LOL) for over 5 months now and I've consistently loss each week on my "weigh-in" day. So I'll "just keep weighing, just keep weighing" because that's what works for me and you should do what works for you too!
  • AmIhealthyyet
    AmIhealthyyet Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing. I only record when I get a new low. That might be three days in a row and then a skip for a day or too. I know where I am keeping my calories so I know it will constantly trend down.

This is what I do! I thought I was the only person who only recorded when they lost. I weigh every day but only record new lows. This helps with my mindset as far as the number points on the MFP graph.. whether it's 2 days in a row or a week between, I ONLY log when I get a new low number. It's been very motivational thus far.

I LOVE that! It would be motivating! That is my new plan too! Brilliant! Would be uplifting!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing. I only record when I get a new low. That might be three days in a row and then a skip for a day or too. I know where I am keeping my calories so I know it will constantly trend down.
    This is what I do! I thought I was the only person who only recorded when they lost. I weigh every day but only record new lows. This helps with my mindset as far as the number points on the MFP graph.. whether it's 2 days in a row or a week between, I ONLY log when I get a new low number. It's been very motivational thus far.

I LOVE that! It would be motivating! That is my new plan too! Brilliant! Would be uplifting!
    I do this^