Can't get on with elliptical due to knee pain

Hi,

I've tried frequently over the years to be able to get a good work out on the elliptical trainers at the gym but always end up having to give up after five minutes with pains at the top of my knees at the front. It's the same when I used to do spinning, I could power at high intensity no problem but as soon as I stood up to pedal fast I felt the same pain.
I'm fine on the cycles or treadmill and there is no problem with any of the leg based strength exercises.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Could it be technique or just busted knees?

Dave

Replies

• 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Sounds like some tendonitis issues. I have the same problem with stair climbers so the elliptical is actually great for me. You should probably check with your doctor and have your knees checked out.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Aside from seeing what a doctor says, I'd avoid what hurts. I'm the opposite- a treadmill killed my knees and the elliptical works fine.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    At least I am not the only one! My knees also hurt on the elliptical. I'm envious of anyone who is able to use them, as they are touted to be so low impact. I do have some issues with my knees though - basically bone-on-bone action going on.
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Ironically I can't use the elliptical because of my hip. I thought maybe since the surgery it would be better but its actually worse and I find some of them can be hard on the lower back as well. I can do the steps and actually prefer the actual stepper they have at the gym. Give me the treadmill and a bike and I'm good to go. I'm also a firm believer that your body will tell you what works for you and what doesnt and go with it.
  • Thanks for the pointers, the only thing I can think of is that as you don't fully straighten your leg on an elliptical trainer, you bent knee is always taking your full body weight. I've tried adjusting my stance by leaning forward and also transferring weight onto the front of my foot but still I only managed 2-3 mins.

Well I have my annual health checkup on Friday so I guess I better have a word with the Physiotherapist to see if they can suggest anything.

Dave