Dedication v Addiction -Advice?

Options
I have been on and off of MFP but I have been very dedicated the past 30 days. I bought a treadmill for Christmas and have been using it every single day. Some days I workout 30mins and other days 60mins. Lately I have been working out 60-120 mins but in different spurts. I have someone tell me, "Ok now you're getting addicted." Would you say that is addiction or dedication? I lost 5.5lbs this past month by cardio so this month I'm adding 30DS.

I say that I'm not being lazy as I'd rather walk on the treadmill at a moderate pace while watching tv instead of sitting on the couch.

Anyways, just needed to vent/get advice. What are your thoughts?
Feel free to add me for some more support/give support. :-)

Replies

• elizabeth1293
    Options
    Hello!
    In my oppinion (however I'm not a professional). It sounds fine.
    But you have to evaluate yourself; is it infringing on your relationships? Do you feel like you have to hide your fitness habits? Are you sacrificing your health?

I think as long as your social life is fine, you feel fine, and you're still eating like you should be, then, go for it!
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Addicted or dedicated -- who cares!? The more active you are, the better. If they say negative things to you, just reply back and say "You mad bro?" Or "That's right.... get mad!!!! " Sitting on our butts is the main cause of the problem; moving -- is the solution!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I think unless you get to the point where you feel guilty for sitting while watching a show or you can't skip a day, it's dedication. If you get a point where you "lose it" if you have to skip one work out, I'd say you have a problem.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine right now, hon. I agree with the above - if it starts infringing on you spending time with friends/family or you really start beating yourself up if you can't get to 60 minutes one day because of something, then you might have to re-evaluate. You're doing so well!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the person who called you addicted is a couch potato. Ignore them.
  • jon1289
    jon1289 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's important to give your body rest from time to time. During rest days your muscles repair themselves by restoring glycogen and enzymes. If your glycogen levels are too low your body will break down cells to 'find the glycogen' needed for the exercise you are doing. Basically it increases a risk of injury due to muscle fatigue. Overtraining causes performance to level off and possibly decline. Rest is equally as important as exercise!

Just googled rest after exercise and amongst the many articles there is this one which seems quite informative and accurate http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/RestandRecovery.htm
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    look at this way ..there are far WORSE things to be addicted to ...my mom tried in on that crap during christamas saying I was addicted to weight lifting..I looked at her and was like really? Would you be happier if I was addictd to sitting on the couch eating ding dongs and drinking a six pack of beer all day ..she looked at me and said good point...that is the last I will hear of that one...

Seriously though, rest is an important part of working out...I like to lift and work out and Ireally do not like rest days, but I have to realize that they are an important part of my regimen...
  • susanmarnold
    Options
    It is hard to over due walking! My trainer is a big supporter of walking. I would agree with you... When I watch TV at night (Biggest Loser on Monday night) I just "walk" on my elliptical.
  • Alr080389
    Alr080389 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! My working out is not messing with any relationships. I do worry if I miss a work out but I dont freak out. I have not uad a rest day in over a week. Just a realllly bad food day on Sunday haha (3500 cals :-O )

I'm glad no one thinks it's addiction. :-) Thanks for letting me vent.