Starvation mode under 100 calories a myth

Options
13»

Replies

• TraceyG1971
    Options
    One of my college professors (biology) explained caloric intake and desired weight to our class and this is how it was explained:

If you want to be 120lbs then multiply that by 10 and that is how many calories you should consume in a day....equals 1200 calories. So whatever your desired weight just multiply that by 10 and there ya have it...your daily caloric intake.

I weigh 121lbs and eat nearly double that. I think your Professor needs to recheck his studies.

You obviously have a very fast metabolism. A lot of people that have problems losing weight have a slower metabolic rate and I believe that is what my professor was implying.

Uh... No, my metabolism works just like anybody else's. Pre-coeliac diagnosis I was fairly chubby and happy - haven't always been a stick figure. Now I'm getting my calories from other sources (now I know to replace them), I gained/maintain as anyone would.

Like I said, your professor needs to do their research again. That's the most ridiculous way of calculating things ever - if I, or most people, ate 1200kcal a day AT THE WEIGHT OF 120lb, they would STILL lose weight.

Okay..... here is what I found... professor may have been wrong about multiplying by 10 but wasn't far off.

This is an area that has been used and abused a lot over the past several years. At one point, high calorie diets are in and a year later low calorie diets are back in fashion. The same holds true for Proteins, Carbohydrates and Fats. Opinions seem like they're changing on a daily basis and they are! The following formula is tried and true. lf you follow it and make adjustments where they're needed, you can't help but to achieve nutritional nirvana. Many complex formula's for figuring daily caloric needs have been introduced. My formula is a simplified and effective version.

Take your current body weight or a realistic body weight goal (Up or Down), and multiply it by your desired factor (either 12, 15, or 18). If you want to lose weight or have a slower metabolism, multiply your weight by 12. For maintaining your current weight, multiply your weight by 15. And for hardgainers or those looking to gain weight, multiply your weight or desired weight by 18. This is a starting point for figuring out your daily caloric needs. (Example: Male who is 200lbs x 15 = 3000 calories per day, Female wh is 130 lbs x 15 = 1950 calories per day). You may need to adjust your caloric need by 50 - 100 calories per day should you stagnate and not be achieving your desired goals. This formula also works as a nice starting point for a bodybuilder looking to figure out the different caloric needs over the course of a year.

A Pre-Contest bodybuilder would use their desired body weight multiplied by 12. An off-season bodybuilder would use their weight or desired weight multiplied by 15 or 18 depending on how fast their metabolism is and how lean they want to stay in the off-season. I personally use my body weight multiplied by 15. This allows me to grow and stay very lean in the off-season. This formula works equally well for both men and women.

After figuring your daily caloric needs, you now need to figure out how many grams of protein, carbohydrates and fat you'll take in per day. Roughly 30-35% of your calories should come from protein, 50-60% from carbohydrates and 10-15% from fats. Each gram of protein or carbohydrate is equal to 4 calories. Each gram of fat is equal to 9 calories. Your calories should be partitioned somewhat equally throughout 5-6 meals or more per day. Higher calorie post workout meals are encouraged and will be discussed later in this article. Although vitamins and minerals will not be discussed in detail in this article, I do recommend everyone use some type of Mega Multi Vitamins or Vitamin Pack on a daily basis. Such supplementation provides daily insurance and eliminates the worry of meeting required needs for general health and recovery.

You can read full article here:

http://www.getbig.com/articles/faq-dav2.htm
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Re: myth number 2.

Can you tell me what happened to the participants of the Minnesota study when they went back to normal eating? What physiological and psychological behaviours did they exhibit?

I don't think that was part of the study. IIRC, it was just to see the impact of eating very, very little.

Google "minnesota starvation experiment".

I don't need to Google it. I know what happened. I just wanted to know if the OP had considered this when coming to his conclusions.

It was documented and observed.
  • razz02
    razz02 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, a good post. I agree. I do the same, I ve done it several times and it serves me well. And I am really healthy.

I have never ever noticed starvation or that my body ate away my muscles. I suppose that happens to people who don´t work out regularly.

Starvation mode doesn´t exist in my vocabulary- stupid excuses does however, and lazy people.

The problems in our society are more related to obesity and overeating than undereating and starvation.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    50b4e282afa96f1c3f0006c5.jpg?mw=555

not scared. monkeys and apes have had opposable thumbs for millions of years, but only the australopithecines evolved into humans

Yes, but all cats have a secret evil plot to take over the world.

it took australopithecines 3 million years to evolve into humans and cats are not even bipedal yet

although there is this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJVeFprntw <--- felis sapiens
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to provide a brief explanation for locking this topic. While I understand the topic title should read 1200 calories, the content in the original post is still a violation our community guidelines:
    3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.