Lunch out help

Options
Hiya Im taking my mum out for a birthday lunch tomo and really looking forward to it. How im I going to count my calories help any ideas??? x

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would try to find a calorie counting website with a built in food diary
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants have healthy options, and will normally include a symbol to let you know what menu items are great for dieters. Olive Garden does this, as does Ihop and Panera. If you know where youre going ahead of time, check out the menu beforehand on the internet. The site for the restaurant will normally list the nutritional information as well.

Bonus tips: Ask the waiter to hold the bread.
    If you decide to get a higher calorie meal, ask to have half of your meal put in a take-home box before it is served and place it on the chair across from you (out of sight, out of mind).
    Skip appetizers but split a dessert (it is a birthday celebration after all!)

Best of luck!
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's hard to guesstimate calories at restaurants since the size and ingrendients vary in each dish. That's why I try not to eat out unless it is my cheat day. Obviously life happens (such as mom's birthday) so there are situations you cannot avoid.

My advice is to try to order a dish that does contain a ton of sauces. When you log in your calories you can find a restaurant with a similar dish or you could log in each ingredient of the dish individually.

Your safest bets on the menu are going to be baked or grilled lean meats (such as fish or chicken) with steamed vegetables or salads with a vinagrette dressing.
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    check the restaurants website. Most offer nutritional information so that you can plan you meal ahead of time.
  • Reza151
    Options

My advice is to try to order a dish that does contain a ton of sauces. When you log in your calories you can find a restaurant with a similar dish or you could log in each ingredient of the dish individually.

Your safest bets on the menu are going to be baked or grilled lean meats (such as fish or chicken) with steamed vegetables or salads with a vinagrette dressing.

^This. Also, many places allow you to substitute sides. So if a dish comes with loaded baked potatoes, you might request steamed seasonal veggies instead.
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thank You everyone for your help :) Im thinking a very light breakfast and a bowl of soup at night sooo I can enjoy my lunch. Ive got power hoop class tomo too so will have an extra 400 cals to help me x
  • Diahann_Hughes
    Diahann_Hughes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Survived lunch and it was amazing :) I did as everyone suggested and managed to log in similar food items to give me a general idea. I feel so proud of myself and how I have learned to eat soo much healthier and enjoy it I know il lose this little bit of weight and get to my target deffo thank you everyone x
  • Reza151
    Options
    Survived lunch and it was amazing :) I did as everyone suggested and managed to log in similar food items to give me a general idea. I feel so proud of myself and how I have learned to eat soo much healthier and enjoy it I know il lose this little bit of weight and get to my target deffo thank you everyone x

Great job Diahann! I hope to get some inspiration from you, as weve had free food at work all week and I can't seem to say no to it even when I'm full. I go over my calories every day lately:-/ Anywho, that's a fantastic step youve made!