Healthy Weight Gain on a Budget

I'm Trying to gain weight and eat healthy. Does anyone out there know of a good place to shop or inexpensive ways to eat healthy and keep it on a low budget? Having a hard time getting my calorie intake with my current funding.

Replies

• Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    I often buy frozen chicken, fish and veg. The veg especially you can get a lot more for your money and it lasts. Chicken and fish, although it may not be top quality is easier on the purse and you can always eat a little extra
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Hey, same goals here - bulking on a budget.

Best cheap staples for me are:
    -Eggs
    -Potatoes
    -Offal
    -Bananas

These have a really good calorie/dollar ratio, are very "healthy" and supply good macros/micros - particularly the offal, of which can be a VERY lean protein and tastes just like steak. :D Potatoes are a ridiculously cheap carb source, and you can pretty much do anything with them and eggs. (Baked/Fried/Chips/Hashbrown/Omelette/ETC)

Spend the remainder of your food cash on veggies, fruit, etc. and some goodies of your own that you want - to me, that translates as chocolate.
  • You can get rice and beans in bulk for pretty cheap, bananas and potatoes are dirt cheap, I don't know much about meat but I think you can get a bunch of chicken in bulk and freeze it.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Oatmeal, nut butters, whole milk, ground beef, chicken, avocados, bacon (MMM bacon)

Eat more calorie dense food so you can eat less (saves money) and still get the calories you need.
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Gaining weight .. hm? ..

How about eating more red meat.. I heard it puts on the bulky muscle tissue.
  • Here is a website for Ideas...

http://paleoonabudget.com/category/shopping-trip/

I also try to find out when most supermarkets put out their discounted meats. They are still good but you can really stock up at times. ( I picked up several pork tenderloins for $3 each recently as we as some NY Strips for $4.) Watch the circulars for sales this weekend chicken (dark meat quarters) were 99c/lb. When they are cheap often the price of the breasts falls too.

Look for Grocery Outlets....they carry items that are often just have cosmetically damaged packaging but they are still good. I used to pick up protein and nutrition bars there as well as staples such as rice, beans, nut butters, etc.

Invest in quality fats/oils, easy way to help you meet your calories. (Quality Butter, Coconut oil, olive oil)...
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Definitely go frozen and buy your meat in bulk when it is on sale. Buy fruits and veg fresh when they're in season. You might also consider buying a not so expensive protein powder to get in a few hundred extra calories. Use full fat dairy and eggs. Add some olive oil. Peanuts are probably the cheapest of the nuts, and they're cheaper in the shell. Some places allow you to buy nuts in bulk from bins which is also often cheaper. Legumes (dry ones inthe bag) are fairly inexpensive as well. Add in oil when you cook, too.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    I second the advice about bulk buying on discounted meat if you have a freezer. You can also buy fresh in bulk and freeze it yourself (meat, fish, veggies and fruit). Freezing does not destroy nutrients (some people think it does, but it doesn't)

Farmers markets can be good for picking up local produce at cheaper prices (that depends where you live though) - some farmers markets you can get discounted stuff if you go late in the day. Where I live, locally produced food is cheaper than imported western brands, and often tastes better as well. Buying food (espeically fruit and veg) in season also gets you a good price for local produce, they're usually very cheap in season, but expensive out of season.

Also stock up on very cheap foods in bulk. For example buy 10kg+ bags of rice, they are not that expensive and will last for a very long time so long as you keep it in an airtight container to prevent insects/weevils getting in. If you can get these on a special offer, even better.

homecooked food works out cheaper than ready meals, if you don't have much time during the week you can make homecooked foods like curry, stew, and similar in big batches and then store it in individual portions which you can then microwave as needed.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    beans, pasta, peanut butter.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Buy nuts from the baking aisle or bulk bins. They have no added sugar, salt, or usually oils. And they are significantly cheaper than purchasing from the snack food aisles. Switch to chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts, significantly cheaper (especially if you find them on sale at end of sell by date) and if you get the skinless (or take skin off), not really that much more fat than breasts. Buy dry beans instead of canned, just remember to soak overnight. Buy the discounted or sale fruits (they are usually at the end of their shelf life), then puree and freeze in ice cube trays or silicone mini muffin pans for later use in fruit smoothies.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    white rice. No nutritional value really, but as long as you get that from other sources, it is very cheap additional calories.

Also milk is something I like.
  • Thanks for all the valuable input.
  • Get a slow cooker (they're cheap as hell). Fill with cheap crappy cuts of meat and potatos or whatever cheap starchy veggies you can find.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Frozen chicken wings and drummies. Fairly calorie dense, almost matched gram for gram in the protein/fat department, and about the cheapest meat one could possibly hope for. Failing that, you could always buy whole chickens, turkeys, etc. A bit more work involved, and a longer cooking process, but much better bang for the buck, assuming you eat the entire thing.

Also, potatoes.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Nothing to add really, just want to keep an eye on this thread as I should have started my weight gain last week and lost another pound! (I even ate 300g of Swiss Chocolate lol).

I love my Crockpot, live alone and it does 80-12 portions so have a freezer full of ready meals. My top tip is to name/date/calorie count the containers by using masking tape and writing on that - comes off a treat, especially if you press it on your top a couple of times to remove some tackiness.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    I am having the same issues, but I am still losing at the moment. Potatos are great, because you can easily add more calories to mash depending on your needs. My husband makes chillis with either chicken thighs, minced beef, Turkey or even sausages. We add 4 bean mix to bulk it up. My favourite crockpot recipe is a soup vegies, (basically carrot, potato, parsnip, swede, onions) and garlic and tinned tomatos. That with diced lamb, can use cheaper meat. Really satisfying. Also it's worth learning to bake. There are some yummy muffin and things you can add to pancakes to 'fatten' them up. My girls like banana pancakes with peanut butter or nuttella. I have tried protien powder in them and they kind of disapeared. Basically get creative :)
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Chocolate Milk + Peanut butter in between your other meals