5:2 diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    There was this one:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/keen-to-try-a-fasting-diet-not-so-fast/article8461083/

I don't know that a 1 day fast is really extreme enough to cause the issues that they suggest though.

But, you know, in the interest of full disclosure... :)
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    For the people that do this what 2 days works best for your fasting days? Also your normal days that you eat what time do you stop eating?
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I new to MFP but I'm now into my 4th week of 5:2 and have already lost 5lbs. It really works for me and I've never done a 'fad' diet before in my life. What really swayed my decision to give it a go were the health benefits of reduced cholesterol and anti-ageing effects due to minimising the body's production of IGF-1 - all back up by actual science.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549

I never feel deprived and feel that this is an entirely new way of eating for me. I'd be happy to stick to it for the foreseeable future.
  • surfinglily
    surfinglily Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For the people that do this what 2 days works best for your fasting days? Also your normal days that you eat what time do you stop eating?

I believe the key to this is to have 3x 12 hour periods of fasting in the space of 36 hours - that is, if you usually have your breakfast at 7 am, then have your dinner before your fast day at 7 pm, your low calorie breakfast as normal at 7am and your small meal on fast day at 7pm . . . .followed again by breakfast on your normal eating day at 7am. The 12 hrs fasting seems to be important.

Also, two fast days should be separated by one normal eating day. I find Monday and Wednesday work well for me as I'm at work and I've more to occupy my mind - but I can easily switch my days depending on how my week is. I went out for lunch last Monday so had my fast days on Tuesday and Thursday instead.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I like Mondays and Thursdays for low days. But I had a business lunch this week on Monday, so switched to tues and thurs. next week I am away at a conference on Thursday so I might choose Monday and Wednesday as le days .

On normal days I can often be found nibbling on a cheesey cracker at about 10.30 pm
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Horses for courses, some people find it suits them better than other approaches.

I decided to give it a 4 week trial, and today is actually the last fasting day (strictly its not fasting, its a restricted day) of that trial. My weigh in day is tomorrow, but I've easily lost a pound a week over the time I've been doing this, and at the weekend I managed to fit into a pair of UK size 10 trousers that had been too tight for months. And my mood is very upbeat.

I'm easing myself in gradually - I find the idea of not eating anything for a long period of time too difficult, so I've spread my calories out over the day. Once I settle into that, I may progress to fewer actual eating times.

Someone's already helpfully posted the links to the existing MFP groups, and there's also a few other discussion threads going on this - use the search function. Also, theres a really lively forum on Facebook. And quite of few of us have blogs going, with photos an' recipes an' stuff!

A couple of caveats:

DO NOT try this eating plan if you are
    1. already lean
    2. still a child/ growing
    3. pregnant or hoping to be
    4. have a history of eating disorders
    5. diabetic.

If you have any medical conditions it would definitey be worth consulting your GP first.

I am lean and trying it. I am eating 500 cals on mon and thurs, tdee other weekdays and eating pretty much what I fancy within reason on a Saturday and Sunday. I still make sure I don't go over my tdee for the week but doing this allows me to eat over 3000 calories per day over the weekend and maintain my weight which is what I am doing now. Certainly don't intend to lose any more.