What shoes do you love for running outdoors?

Options
2»

Replies

• tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I love my Brooks!

this I love Brooks Glycerin series. Cushy, supportive, durable. Try 'em.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I fully agree with other posters that you should get fitted for the right kind of shoe (i.e. neutral/stability etc.). If you don't have a local running store to do a gait analysis, go to Runner's World website for some tips on how to figure out what kind of shoe you need. I tried to run in what I thought felt comfortable for awhile and kept having knee problems. After seeing a physical therapist, it turned out I wearing the wrong kind of shoe. I've been injury free for 10+ years now (even during training for 3 marathons).

Wow! That's nuts! I always just get what's on sale and so far no problems but I'm running more and more lately and already have a bad back so I would really like to get some really good fitting ones. I'm so worried about leaving stressed because they will be out of my price range but I'm going to try to go today and see what they say. :)
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    I absolutely adore Vibrams. I used to use just the classics, but I recently switched to the KMD LS and I could not be happier. For my size, I'm putting a ton of strain on myself and on these shoes, but they hold up so wonderfully. I also severed my achilles a couple of years ago and went through everything from custom orthopedic sneakers to Brooks Adrenalin to Nike and none of them came near to the Vibrams. I just re-tested the custom sneakers out last weekend to check if it was just that my achilles was more fully healed, but nope--I tore them off within minutes, put the Vibrams back on and felt instantly better.

They take a little extra breaking in and getting used to (plus they are pretty...ugly), but it's totally worth it.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-KMD-Sport-LS-Womans.htm

I think those are really cool! I would love to try something like that.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Wow 10 years is a long time! I've had my Nikes for 3 years and love them! I got them on clearance for $10 and have lasted a while! That's why I'm leaning to Nike more.
    I love the Pegasus too. They are an old model, which I think means they are kinda basic -- that is, they are not try to fix my foot or running problems. I have run in them for probably 10 years and I think they last well. Plus, they come in different widths, which is a bonus.
    But, that said, different shoes fit different people. Some don't like the Nike fit. I don't, except when I wear a ee- or eee-wide shoe.
  • jemimasmum
    jemimasmum Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I liked my Nike pegasus but have switched to Saucony jazz. They seem a bit narrower fit and are soo comfortable. Bought from a running shop who didn't laugh at my feeble efforts and made me feel like the real thing.
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    So I got fitted and my gait looked at and all that and they recommended Brooks Adrenaline trail shoes. I run on the pavement. Do you guys know if there is a difference in the shoe. Will that shoe work fine?
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    If you haven't yet, I would head to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes. It really can make all the difference! That being said, I personally like minimal running shoes and the Nike Free Runs are one of my favorites... although right now I'm sporting the Brooks Pure line.

AGREED. You NEED a shoe that's suited for your own personal gait. I'm an overpronator with a midfoot strike- these are my new FAVORITE shoes:
    BAGTXW1-1.jpg
    Brooks Adrenaline GTX- they're a trail shoe (so, heavy tread, semi-stiff sole) with a goretex layer that makes them pretty much waterproof. They've been fantastic in the winter snow- I can run in ankle-deep powder without my feet getting wet and cold. I'm not suggesting ou get MY perfect shoe, but the trail treads and goretex are great features for winter outdoor running.

These I think are the ones they recommended to me! I am nervous about how they will do on regular pavement... Do you know?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you haven't yet, I would head to a local running store and get fitted for proper shoes. It really can make all the difference! That being said, I personally like minimal running shoes and the Nike Free Runs are one of my favorites... although right now I'm sporting the Brooks Pure line.

AGREED. You NEED a shoe that's suited for your own personal gait. I'm an overpronator with a midfoot strike- these are my new FAVORITE shoes:
    BAGTXW1-1.jpg
    Brooks Adrenaline GTX- they're a trail shoe (so, heavy tread, semi-stiff sole) with a goretex layer that makes them pretty much waterproof. They've been fantastic in the winter snow- I can run in ankle-deep powder without my feet getting wet and cold. I'm not suggesting ou get MY perfect shoe, but the trail treads and goretex are great features for winter outdoor running.

These I think are the ones they recommended to me! I am nervous about how they will do on regular pavement... Do you know?

They're great, they are just a little stiffer and have a little more traction than most road shoes, but I wear them on pavement and concrete all the time. You'll get over the stiffness the first time you hit a puddle and come away dry, I promise.
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    Vibram
  • mandypizzle
    Options
    Oh wait, the ones he recommended were the Brooks Cascade. They are also trail shoes and look like the adrenaline ones... I got them and did a P90X video in them this morning and they are great so far! They seem very light. I am planning for a run later today and there's a lot of snow around here so I'm excited to try them out. My Nike's are like 3 years old and I slip and slide all over the place lol.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I run in Brooks and Mizuno. But that is because of my gate, weight, running style, distance goals, etc.

Point: go to a good running store and spend 15 minutes with someone that can help guide you to a good shoe that fits your needs and goals.

Personally, i hate Nike Pegs. Crimped my toes too much... But i have wide feet.

Good luck!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    i run in my inov-8 bare or merrel pace barefoot glove!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I can speak for one of those small, independently run outdoor shops because I run one -- and we do NOT just try to sell you an expensive shoe! We need our customers to come back or we will absolutely go out of business. Try to go to a small store if you can -- you'll most likely get the best customer service and advice you've ever had. People at ****'s and Sports Authority work there because they need a job. People work at small running shops because they love helping people with running.

As far as a good trail shoe, check out La Sportiva. They are my favorite brand for running, hiking & climbing.. I think I have 10 models of their shoes. It's true Italian-made quality that lasts forever. My favorite running shoe by them is the Quantum, but they have a new one coming out this month called the Helios that is supposed to be an amazing minimalist shoe. I'll be trying it out when it hits our shop later this month.

Inov-8 is also worth checking out if you want minimalist. I agree with the above posters on Brooks too -- And Saucony!

Good luck on finding your perfect pair!
  • mandypizzle
    Options