Phone apps for walking?

Options
Hi everybody! I want to start using a phone app for walking. I have a FitBit but I would also like to track my time and route as I can only walk about 7 minutes now. I want to be able to follow my progress closer. I know there are a few out there. The ones I know of are, Map My Walk, Every Trail and Run Keeper. I was just wondering if any of you use a phone app and if you do, which one? Also, what are the pro's and con's of them.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Replies

• toddka1
    toddka1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    There are many, many more out there. I use Walk Tracker and Endomondo. Endomondo will automatically synch with MFP (like FITBIT) if you like. You can also run your music through them - definitely a pro. Can't think of many cons other than you will likely have headphones or earbuds and you need to make sure you can still hear the traffic.

Good luck!
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    I really like Map My Walk for when I run/walk outside.
  • smkilgore21
    smkilgore21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like Endomondo as well, i like that it syncs with MFP and that it talks to me when i am walking to give me status updates on how far i have walked etc.
  • xSassy71x
    xSassy71x Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great thread.. I was just looking for an app yesterday for walking. :)
  • 14coopera
    14coopera Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Charity Miles! They have a sponser donate to the charity of your choice $0.25 for every mile that you walk/run, and $0.10 for every mile that you bike! A nice little incentive to know that you are saving the world while you work out ;)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have an iPhone and have used Map My Run a lot, but currently loaded (and really like) MOVES. http://www.moves-app.com/
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    I think runkeeper is a clear winner. Not because they have the most amazing app, but rather because they have a good website and a public API. this means they have lots of other apps / sites integrated with them.

I actually use ismoothrun now for tracking my activities, but it sends the data to runkeeper.

icardio / edemondo integrate with MFP which would be nice. I think there must be a feud between runkeeper / MFP developers. That integration should have happened a LONG time ago.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic all the time and it links with MFP which is great!!
  • benflando
    Options
    "Moves" free in the App Store.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I tried Endomodo and Runkeeper and Runkeeper ended up being the clear winner for me. I preferred Runkeeper's website, the way I could program my own training schedules was simple, and I just find their app more appealing aesthetically. I also use my Polar HRM with Runkeeper on my iPhone (never got around to trying this w/ Endomodo, so I can't speak to how well it integrates with a HRM), but I like the feature quite a bit. I love the little voice telling me my zones.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I really like Map My Walk for when I run/walk outside.

Yup.
  • nyssalynne
    Options
    As soon as my new Fitbit arrives (I lost the charger for my old one during my recent move so upgraded from the Fitbit Ultra to the newer Fitbit One) I plan to try Zombies, Run! Supposedly you can walk as well as run with it and it is like a game rather than just tracking stats. It runs on Android and iPhone.

37372224.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mlk8604
    mlk8604 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use the Nike+ app. I think it's free now!
  • marie_eve_78
    marie_eve_78 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use Zombies, run! which is pretty cool. There are actors that play out small scenes between the songs on your playlist. You are a character in a post-zombie apocalypse world where zombies are roaming free. Some small fortresses are trying to survive by having runners go out and find supplies. You are one of those runners. You run on missions. Some are actually so well played that I got tears in my eyes!

You can enable the GPS function which triggers random encounters when you are running outside. Sometimes a bunch of zombies will get near you (you hear it) and you have to run faster to get away.
    You can also disable that functionnality and use the game on your treadmill (that's what I do).

I also have the game Coderunner, which is a similar kind of augmented reality game, but you play a spy like in Mission Impossible. However I did not try it yet.
  • Kym1610
    Kym1610 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am big fan of Cardio trainer (For Andriod). I've heard good things about endomondo for iphone
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Pedometer is good.. you can sync it with Myfitnesspal. Just make sure you walk for more than 9 minutes or it most likely won't post to your MFP.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper is my favorite.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is my favorite app for tracking my outdoor walks. It also tracks estimated fluid loss based upon the outside temperature, your speed, distance etc. It gives a good indication for reminding yourself to hydrate.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I like Endomondo as well, i like that it syncs with MFP and that it talks to me when i am walking to give me status updates on how far i have walked etc.

I use the free version and it does not sync. The calories burned are very high does it include your BMR and so you have to subtract that when you manually add to cardio?