Second opinions

Options
Had a trainer at the gym tell me some stuff about cutting certain foods and was wanting second opinions.

He told me to cut out a lot of stuff, most of which I do not eat anyway, but the two things he said for me to cut out that I do eat are bread and dairy.

I eat bread in extreme moderation as it is, most the time the only "bread" I have is my cereal "cheerios" that I eat in the morning.
the big thing is the dairy, I love my milk and cheese, he even told me to make my protein shakes with water.

So any thoughts on any of this would be appreciated, Thanks

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I'd just like to know if the same trainer to use protein powder (usually whey, which is dairy).

If you don't have a gluten sensitivity, milk allergies or lactose intolerance, whole grains and dairy are perfectly fine to consume.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    any time you start cutting groups of food out of your diet, you are asking for trouble.

Eat in moderation, yes.

Personally, I eat whatever I want to as long as:
    1) it fits my calorie goal
    2) if I eat it I will still be able to eat at least 1 g protein / lb LBM and still hit my calorie goal

Anything other than those 2 criterion and I don't care that much.
  • davidpearly
    davidpearly Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    thanks for your thoughts guys
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Just remember: trainers are not nutritionists.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to cut those out unless you have an intolerance.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Don't take nutrition advice from this guy.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    These kind of recommendations are diet tricks applicable for people trying to control their intake without watching their macros. Using this site, you can control your macros without eliminating any food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    It's not necessarily a *bad* idea...

...but that doesn't make it a *good* idea either.

This approach actually works for some people. Maybe you're one of them. But that doesn't mean you have to follow his advice to get results...or to be healthy.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Milk is (well, semi-skimmed anyway) a perfect food. Ignore this *kitten*. And like someone else said - whey is made from milk - why would the processed version be better for you?
  • timpicks
    timpicks Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with most of the posters here saying that it's OK with moderation but have a different perspective. I have drastically reduced my bread consumption for just over a year. It has totally changed how I eat. Bread is such a convenient bad food delivery system, and not eating it helped me improve my choices. I used to scarf down a PB&J when I was hungry or grab a slice of pizza if I was on the go. Now when I have a PB jones I smear some on an apple, and I'll try to grab some chili or a piece of fruit if I'm on the go. But really I just end up snacking less. So you might want to try it for a while (it ain't easy) just for the insight it gives you on your eating habits if for nothing else. As for the dairy, what is your trainer effin' crazy haha!? I can't cut that out but have certainly cut back and gotten results.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yeh, people around here tell me to cut back on sugars, but I keep coming across the idea that it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stay at the correct calories. I like sweet stuff.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Totally unnecessary, unless you are allergic or lactose intolerant.

Usually, when people tout these methods as successful, that they lost X amount of weight by cutting out this or that, it's really that they cut out calories and created a deficit.