Running speed

Options
So I've recently completed the c25k program and can run a 5k. Now I need a new challenge, so thought I'd work on my speed. Presently, I run5k in about 36-40 mins (12 min mile approx). I'd like to drop that time to about 30mins (10 min mile). My question is this - how do I get there? Any good apps or brilliant ideas?

Replies

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Volume, volume, volume.

You want to get faster, run more. Increase your mileage 10% a week. Keep at it.
  • bigbrownkid
    Options
    like the person above me said, as you increase your distance your endurance builds, this will allow you to run shorter distances faster. try training for a 10k or keep increasing
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Intervals. 5K's aren't a long distance (in the scheme of things).

Yes, at the point you are at, increasing your distance and amount of time you run will drop your time. I don't know what kind of distances you train at, but running intervals is a too that many distance runners use to prepare for races.

I used to run competitive 5K and 10K distance, and I always ran intervals when preparing for races (usually 5 mins).
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Strength train on non-running days got me faster.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My pace had become totally stagnate when all I was doing was running. I grabbed a Hal Higdon training plan and modified it a bit to fit my schedule, so this is what I started doing instead of only running:

Sunday - Long run day, increased by one mile each week
    Monday - Strength training, heavy, upper and lower body
    Tuesday - 3-5 mile run
    Wednesday - Interval training for either speed or hills (alternated every other week)
    Thursday - Strength, same as Monday plus 3 mile run
    Friday - Rest
    Saturday - 45-60 minutes cross cardio (any cardio but running, ARC trainer, bike, stair mill, etc)

Following that program that I went from running 10+ minute miles at a 5K distance and 10:30+ minute miles for longer distances to running a 10K in 9+ minutes per mile (on an injured leg) and two half marathons at 9:32 minutes per mile.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Strength train, intervals, strides, tempos, longer distances and cross training are all great.

I noticed an in speed when I added a longer run. HIITs and intervals also helped me.

I recently added strength training 2-3 days a week. I am a month in and can already tell a difference.