Am I missing something here?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    Wow this has gone WAY off track :noway:

Thanks to everyone who has responded usefully. I understand where you all are coming from now. I thought maybe there was something different I could be doing to easily reach a lower target, but I just can't do what you all are doing(all vege and low/no-fat and artificial stuff, and little to no carbohydrates), so will stick with higher calories and a slower loss, and not deprive MYself :smile:

i'll bow out now as I can see this quickly turning nasty and I don't want to be involved. Stress makes me eat :tongue:
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Let me tell you what I eat and you will see that I'm not sacrificing quality at all. My actual goal is 1000 by recomendation of my endocrinologist. I'm set to REACH 1000 and not go below, not cut calories to 1000. I naturally eat around 600-800 if I just do what my body wants. I do not always eat meals, just snack and munch throughout the day.

Thanks for putting in here that your diet is under medical direction. I am curious though, with the extreme deficit diet your doctor has you on, did s/he give any guidelines on what to eat? At first blush, it sounds like you are somewhat staying in the food pyramid.
  • lori26hancock
    Options
    Hey just a thought but some of them may be on weight loss meds like me....that stuff really makes you not want to eat at all...but, your metabolism will not work well with only 700 calories a day...this will slow down weight loss for a while.
  • whyflysouth
    whyflysouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    To recap, sortof... I'm in line with the folks that say people on their first 3 months of really paying attention to what they eat will find 1200 cals hard to fill. The main reason is that the first things most people take out from their diet are oily/fried foods, and processed carbs. Once you get rid of those things the calories all come from quantity of food.

Likewise, most of us were raised on the 3-course meal idea so removing processed flour, pasta, and rice from a meal and then only eating such meals 3 times a day, it becomes very hard to hit that number.

For some, myself included, this only lasts a few months we lose some weight, exercise more, feel better and gain some more confidence, relax and allow ourselves to take in some flour and pasta without going into excess. The main thing that's helped is also my body's getting used to the idea of eating 6 times a day. You find that you can eat those small 200-300 calorie meals more often and your temptation for unhealthy food dwindles, you find yourself no longer tempted by extreme hunger but more of a subtle sense of "hmm, yeah I should probably eat something right now," and at that point you can treat yourself with a taste of something unhealthy, like a little cake in maybe a 150 calorie slice.

If you've been living off of a under 1000 calorie diet and it hasn't been torture, well that's nice, but it must be hard to actually ENJOY food if you never eat any. We should transition from food addicts (where the food controls us) to food enjoyers (where we have control over the experience).
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thats a huge thing I had to change which was the though process of food being there or enjoyment. Once I learned that you eat for nutrition and that it I was good. Sure I miss food, I'm a really really good cook but now I just put that towards making other people happy.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Let me tell you what I eat and you will see that I'm not sacrificing quality at all. My actual goal is 1000 by recomendation of my endocrinologist. I'm set to REACH 1000 and not go below, not cut calories to 1000. I naturally eat around 600-800 if I just do what my body wants. I do not always eat meals, just snack and munch throughout the day.

Thanks for putting in here that your diet is under medical direction. I am curious though, with the extreme deficit diet your doctor has you on, did s/he give any guidelines on what to eat? At first blush, it sounds like you are somewhat staying in the food pyramid.

I'm not really on any sort of deficit diet. I'm a survivor of anorexia and bulimia. I litterally lose my appetite very easily and my metabolism is very screwed up. After my recovery began, I gained weight as I was supposed to. I was eating "normally". Unfortunately, I continued to gain. Besides having a screwed up metabolism, I have PCOS. So my weight gain was enormous, hence my desire to lose. My doctors have given me direction on eating to meet my nutritional goals so that my metabolism will work on its own. 1000 calories seems low to most, but it was determined based on my medical workup. It was also taken into consideration that I usually eat below that, so 1000 is a starting point. Most people are told to cut cals, I'm the opposite. I'm sure they will add more as time goes on. But I do make sure to get in protien, fiber, etc. I just don't get too worked up about it. I've lived my life around food obsession and I have learned that when you take in the basics and move, your going to be ok. With all I've been through, I've learned to listen to my body. If I only had 600 cals today and I'm full, I'm not going to force myself to eat more. If I eat 1800, I don't freak out.

I like the saying "I don't live to eat, I eat to live." A good motto for a survivor of an ED. I'm lucky to still be alive. That really changes a persons perception of food and exercise.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    @ WannabeaCullen - Wow, I just looked at your profile. Your story is truly an inspiration and a story of hope and courage.

With the fighter spirit you have, you will surely succeed!!!