the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• mathera26
    mathera26 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I find that the harder I push myself, the better I feel afterward... In the "I accomplished more than I set out to do" sort of way. And if I can do that, what else can I do today!?
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    being tired from a work out is normal. However, overall I have a ton of energy. I work out hard, I run a lot of miles, and sometimes I'm like a zombie after working out (hello endorphin high) but overall, I feel amazing, and tha'ts what matters. The gym has become my second home. maybe you aren't doing the right workout. Running gives me a high like nothing else. strength training tends to bore me a bit so I do spartacus twice a week (metacon/strength) and that knocks out my strength training, it's quick, painful, but offers amazing results!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    The feeling was there on day one and it's stronger now than ever before. The pump...nothing feels better than a skin-splitting muscle pump.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I do generally enjoy working out, but I have friends at the gym I go to and that makes it more enjoyable for me. I go to a couple of classes that I really enjoy, I have a friend that I try new classes with, we have done pretty much everything we can think of, Zumba, Yoga, TRX, Bar Method, Boxing, Boot Camp, CrossFit. We take advantage of Groupons and Living Social and we have both found classes we like - some together, some not. You need to find what you like.

That being said, sometimes I don't enjoy the workout, but I am always happy when I have completed one. Also, I have been very consistant with working out for 3 1/2 years now. When I don't workout for a couple of days, I feel awful. I hate that feeling. Sometimes the thought of that feeling is what makes me get my butt in the gym.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I am one of those people who honestly feel great after a workout. It wasn't always that way, when I first started workouts were just draining. I don't know what happened to change how it affects me other than I am so much stronger and healthier now. My reccomendations would be:

- get enough sleep. If you are tired, working out is just going to take whatever energy you have
    - fuel up before and after. I eat breakfast about 30 min before. I have a sandwich thin with peanut butter immediately after while changing and an apple on the drive home.
    - Mix things up, I think changing routines and exercises helps keep the body challenged and excited.
    - I wear a heart rate moniter which really helps when I am doing something more routine/monotinous... it allows me to read on my nook while keeping an eye out on my heart rate, I can do something I really enjoy but still make sure I keep the effort up so it doesn't feel like a workout especially when I get into a good book.

Keep at it!
  • SexyLovinmeCook
    SexyLovinmeCook Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that...It is possible that you may need to follow a gym regimen like program...that requires a mix of cardio and weights....Check out bodybuilding.com. It will provide you with a few programs and visual on how to do the them properly. As far as how you get to the point of leaving and feeling great...Not sure If I can help you there....I just love working out in the gym....I feel accomplished and driven....I could literally live in there if asked to...lol....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What exactly is your workout routine? That makes a big difference...if I was just droning away on some cardio machine for an hour I'd probably feel like crap when I left the gym too...because I don't like cardio machines. Do what you like...exercise doesn't and shouldn't have to be a chore.

I like pumping iron...I enjoy it...so I love going to the gym and doing that...and I love the way I feel when I'm done. I like to do my cardio outdoors...I use my imagination, I don't just like to go jog for 30 minutes or xx miles or whatever...I'll do sprints...cone drills...run the stairs in the bleachers at the soccer field across from my office, etc...always something different. On the rare occasion that I'm forced inside to a dreaded cardio machine, I hate it...and I am miserable...and I only do it to keep up with some as-semblance of a routine.

Do what you like doing.