The art of storing food (Freezing)

Options
So..what's the "trick" to freezing things like casseroles, meals for the week, or leftover veggies to use later.
I cut up some celery and froze it in two sandwich bags.
Placed in the fridge to thaw out and ... I had a bag of water and the celery was like soft rubber.

What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Some foods do change texture when frozen. Celery is really only good for soup once it's been frozen. Just do a search online for freezing food and lots of info will come up
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I only freeze meat (cooked or 3/4 cooked so when I heat them up they're still juicy) and soups. I put the meat in freezer zip lock bags and remove as much air as I can then throw them in the freezer. When I'm ready to eat them I try to take them out a day ahead and keep them in the fridge but have been known to defraust them in the microwave if I have to.

Never green veggies for me. Freezing green veggies at home causes the cells to explode and they come out mushy. If I want to cook up a bunch of green beans, or zuccini I'll saute them, or steam them until almost done then put them in individual portion sized containers and refrigerate them for a week at the most. Baked yams are another good one to make ahead of time and store in the fridge. Any roast root veggie work great too and I always season while cooking.

Good luck.
  • acceber88
    acceber88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options