Can a person lose weight with no exercise?

Options
How many of you have lost lbs with little to no exercise? Tell me a little about your story. By my understanding if you exercise 3x a week for 30mins your calories increase? TRUE or FALSE?

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    No, you do not need to exercise to lose weight. As far as exercising and calories increasing... do you mean if you work out you can eat more? Then yes. When you enter your work out, MFP gives you extra calories. Some people eat all of them, half or none. I am not "smart enough" to tell you what to do. For me, if I was hungry I ate all of them back and some days I didn't eat any. But as far as your original question... do you need to work out to lose weight, the answer is No. You need to eat less to lose weight. But to lose weight and look good, then yes you should work out.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    exercise is for health and fitness
    calorie restriction is for weight loss

there is some overlap, of course.
  • brendadale1
    brendadale1 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I may have a warped since of thinking but, I feel when I begin to lose...I will have the energy to MOVE..until then I just do things around the house ,..havent started a workout program..it just doesnt interest me JUST YET:) but I do enjoy swimming but that is not an option right now..THANK YOU for your replies:) I would love to hear people's stories that have lost with little or no exericse..:)
  • cqp1
    cqp1 Posts: 41
    Options
    I have not done any exercise and have a desk job. I have been trying to decrease my calories and have had a little weight loss, like maybe 5 lbs in three weeks. So yes you can loose weight without exercise but expect extremely slow results. I'm in the process of trying to decide on an exercise program to speed up the results.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ive lost weight counting cals alone, but I never seem to get that far, but thars coz I never stick to it for long enough, movjng more just burns more, but sitting on my butt all day wont make it move very fast lol.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    How many of you have lost lbs with little to no exercise? Tell me a little about your story. By my understanding if you exercise 3x a week for 30mins your calories increase? TRUE or FALSE?

You need to maintain a deficit to lose weight. So no exercise is needed.

However I would say that exercise becomes more important if you plan to keep that weight off as your body will begin to use the food you eat more effectively.