Weight Watchers.. Pro or Con?

Options
Hello everyone,
I'm thinking about joining weight watchers... Any suggestions? What are the pros and Cons to this system? I need advice!

Replies

• fauxdetresse
    Options
    it is the same system that mfp uses, only they count "points", instead of individual calories and such. but it's the same idea. i'd say stick with mfp-- free, and the same kind of eating freedoms.
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    why don't you just track your stuff on here.. it's freeeeee..............:glasses:
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I agree why pay all that money when you can do the same here,, its just plain accountability that all you can do it....
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your personal preferences are. If you need the support of people you can see and talk to physically every week than weight watcher's may be helpful. If you are motivated and supported by people on-line then save your money. Hopefully you know yourself well-enough to know what you need. I know people who have been extremely successful doing it both ways.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Con is you have to pay, have to go to a meeting weekly to weigh in if you choice the meeting one. I say stay here it is free and you can get all the support you want here daily. You count points but is pretty much the same thing you are doing on here. I did weight watcher 2 years ago and as it got warmer it was harder to go to the meetings and check in. I enjoyed it but I need everyday support that is at my finger tips. I don't have to leave my house to go to a meeting.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    It's up to you. My mom lost over 40 lbs on weight watchers but on her own she won't hold herself accountable. The points system is kind of neat and does work for some people. Also, you'd have someone else weighing you in and that added pressure might be a perk. Try both!
  • annrevels
    Options
    WW is a good program. I have done WW several times. It is all about accountability. The reason I think this is better, is because you can see results daily, by being below your points. In WW I found myself only sticking to it 1-2 days before weigh in just so I could have a loss. I usually pigged out right after weigh in. Of course this is just me. I have found that I stick to this much better.
  • sassydot
    sassydot Posts: 141
    Options
    After reading around on here and learning about minimum calories etc, I don't like WW

The way it penalised fats, bumping up the points value for food with fat in compared to the same calories for something with no fat in, threw me way off track and I was consuming hardly any calories and ALWAYS so hungry. A glass of whole milk was the same points value (5) as 20!!!! teaspoons of sugar!

I guess it would be OK if you're the type to eat like NO fat anyway
  • ♥seoid♥
    ♥seoid♥ Posts: 476
    Options
    i was a member of ww for many years....off and on....gaining and losing. all the while throwing money away on their fees. this is a much better program, it's free & i think the support here is fantastic!
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    I was really thinking about joining WW (again) but came across this site and it really is basically the same thing. I like the support 24/7 of MFP. Also, whenever I've been to WW meetings, they're pushing a lot of "fat free" stuff that is filled with chemicals or sugars to make up for the fat. I'd rather have healthy fats and limit my sugars, so I don't think that'd work very well for me now that I know my body and how it reacts to various types of foods.

I wish you the best with whichever you decide! :happy: But, if you take advantage of FREE MFP, that money could go towards your new wardrobe that you're *gonna* need when you lose that weight. Actually, I'm thinking of putting that $10 weekly fee for WW's that I would have been paying had I joined WW, towards new clothes... not a bad idea (even if it just popped in my head). :bigsmile:
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers on and off for over 20 years. My mom dragged me there when I was about 18 years old. I became a "Life Time Member" in my early 20's. But then in my late 20's I gained 100 pounds in 1 year. I tried WWs a number of times after that. It worked for a while, but some leaders and groups are better than others. I enjoyed the peer support. But I get that here too with my MFP friends, and like SraArroz said, it's 24/7 here.

The last time I went to WWs was while I was still nursing my little girl who is now 3 years old. The person weighing me yelled out, "You gained 4 pounds this week!" very loudly so everyone in line could hear her. I wanted to slap her. And I knew it was just a fluctuation due to my TOM. I went home and never went back. I'll never go back.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have successfully lost 43 lbs with weight watchers. Next month is my one year lifetime anniversary. I still attend meeting as much as I can, 2-3X month. The weigh in keeps me accountable. I never thought WW pushed any of the products. They are there if we choose to buy them , but never once did my leader push them , or even suggest I try them. Also I have another experience with public weight acknowledgment. Never was any weigh- in result made public by ANYONE, leader or member! I was always asked if I wanted my leader to announce a milestone publicly in a meeting.

There is a hi fat discrepancy {imho} in point value with healthy fats and unhealthy fats. But we have discussed this several times in meetings about the benefits of healthy fats and how important to include them in our diets.
  • htebaram
    htebaram Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I "m in 100% agreement...why spend the money!
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In my opinion weight watchers is not only incorrect when it comes to how it rates food but also teaches bad habits. Some of there 0 point food is really 30-70 calories a serving. MFP is way better
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers online is the same as here but in calories instead of points ( I know because I used to be a paid online member) Weight Watchers is awesome and works really well that is how i lost the first 40lbs. I guess the only difference is if you want to go to meetings. If you are asking about online though it is the same as here.