Borderline (and a bit) Type II DIabetes - Needing Support

Options
Hello Lovely MFP Folks,

I was recently told by my team of doctors that I have crossed the threshold of "Borderline" Type II Diabetes into actual diabetic sugar levels. I am running at a fasting sugar of 7, and a GlucoHbg of 7.3, which means it has been the sitch for several months at least.

I just went Vegan this year (January 2013), and have already lost 32 pounds, but I know I will need to keep up the diet changes and start to get active if I want to nip this one in the bud.

Since I just got my Accu-Chek monitor this morning, I did a Pre-Lunch BS that was a whopping 9.1 which almost gave me a heart attack, my 2 hr PC Sugar is back to 7.0.

My Blood Pressure is Below Normal, 121/70, and I am Morbidly Obese. I am following a 1800 calorie plan, and trying to get 100g of protein a day from my vegan diet. I am pretty much sedentary, but I do get out when I can, whether permitting, and I do cook my own foods and don't eat a lot of processed food.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas about how I can manage my sugars better? I am a nurse myself, but the one diagnosis and treatment that always baffled me was diabetes. I worked in high risk obstetrics, so I saw mostly gestational diabetes. I am testing my sugars for my own piece of mind really, and trying to get a hold on it before taking any medications, like Metformin or Insulin (g-d forbid). My last fasting sugar, which the doctor based his suggestions on, was done 4 weeks ago, so it may have changed a bit, but I know I have a long way to go before I can get my own body to cover my insulin needs.

Are my sugars as scary as I think they are? Have you managed to reverse Type II Diabetes with diet alone? Help!

Thanks for any comments or suggestions!
:heart: Ketsy :heart: , Vegan x 5 Weeks And Loving It!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
9159792.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• seamatt
    seamatt Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Hello........well done for accepting the need to change.

Many people will tell you that reversibility is a myth and it can't be done. I don't really know where I stand, but I have brought my blood sugars well into control, with radical diet change and exercise. I have even kept 'normal' blood sugars during my off day at Christmas where I ate cake and chocolate and the like.

I have blogged my journey so far if you want a look, but am more than happy to chat...but am just about to go to bed or this post would be longer. Good luck with your journey

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/seamatt
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I too was tipping the numbers for Type !! Diabetes back October 31st 2012, my doctor told me I had to do something or else!! So I saw a nutritionist and she recommended low carb lifestyle with at least 3 x a week strength and/or cardio.. it was hard to change in the beginning but today I am 120 days into my new eating habits and exercise plan and lost 37 pounds and no more medication for Type II Diabetes... it can be done, and there are tons of support groups and people here that share the same disease.. please feel free to friend me if you are looking for supportive friends :) Best Wishes on your journey, and congrats on your loss thus far