Heart Rate Monitors?!?!?!?!?

Options
I know a LOT of people feel that one of the best ways to accurately gauge and log your workouts is by using a hrm. My question would be which one do you guys like best? And which ones are easiest to use with MFP and the iPhone?? Thanks!

Replies

• keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 405cx. GPS +HRM. I love it and love its web based software, but it is not MFP friendly. It is great for running outside.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin 405cx. GPS +HRM. I love it and love its web based software, but it is not MFP friendly. It is great for running outside.

Just be careful with Garmin's because not all models that have a heart rate monitor use the heart rate to estimate calories burned if that is what you are getting for. Other than that, I love Garmin and would definitely recommend one. Of course, I used it primarily for tracking my runs and didn't take advantage of the HRM tool as much as I could have. I have had great customer service with them and have heard the same from others. I have had two now, one lost to puppy teeth, the other lost or stolen at a race.

I am in the minority when it comes to using them to gauge calories burned, I find that they are highly overrated and very misunderstood on how they work/effectiveness.
  • unbeknownst
    unbeknownst Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Go with Polar. It is the best.
  • LoseWithLaurie
    LoseWithLaurie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am primarily interested in getting the most accurate estimate of calories burned during exercise:)
  • mandyhato
    mandyhato Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4. I really like it. It is very easy to use and I've just been entering my info into MFP without much effort at all. I got it for under $100 on Amazon.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    love my polar ft4. comfy and easy to use.
  • kmc979
    kmc979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i like my polar ft40, it does what it calls a "fitness test" that learns your resting heart rate. I think it helps it better estimate calories burned based on heart rate. I looked at the ft4 but I didn't like the colors. I got the ft40 on sale at amazon in white. sometimes I even wear the watch as just a watch because it looks cool.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    bump.

I want one too and am totally confused by all of it to be honest.

Lots of people say Polar so I looked at some of them on Amazon. Still confused. heh.

Do you have to strap something to your chest when you use one?
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

Just be careful with Garmin's because not all models that have a heart rate monitor use the heart rate to estimate calories burned if that is what you are getting for. Other than that, I love Garmin and would definitely recommend one. Of course, I used it primarily for tracking my runs and didn't take advantage of the HRM tool as much as I could have. I have had great customer service with them and have heard the same from others. I have had two now, one lost to puppy teeth, the other lost or stolen at a race.

I am in the minority when it comes to using them to gauge calories burned, I find that they are highly overrated and very misunderstood on how they work/effectiveness.

Ya, that i why I got the cx instead of the regular 405. I have validated the numbers it gives me with actual weight loss. It is very very close.
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it.
  • aimeehaven
    aimeehaven Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've got the polar ft4 and love it. Bought it on amazon for $60 came with the chest strap...I don't even notice the strap when I am working out!
  • krislyn84
    krislyn84 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I have the Suunto M4. The only complaint I have is the backlight isn't very bright and the display can be hard to read from certain angles. It also has the fitness test and "recommendations" based on your current weight, fitness level and goals. I prefer it to the Polar ft4. I think the Suunto chest strap is more comfortable. Both are good though!!
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 here. Amazing tool
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, as well. I love it! I was worried about the chest strap, but it's all really easy to use and I barely notice the chest strap at all. I got it for $65 on Amazon.com.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ebay - bought brand new a red clover a few years ago....cost me $35 and the sticker on it said retail was $75. Get one that has a chest strap. Most accurate. Still working great, haven't even changed the battery.
  • LoseWithLaurie
    LoseWithLaurie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing, everyone!
  • Codefox
    Codefox Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If you want an HRM, Polar is the best. I run & bike with a Polar RC3 GPS and have a Polar FT7 for gym/pool days
  • Nicks_scotland
    Options
    I've got a polar FT60. It's great for what I need, which is mainly calories burned and being able to track it all online (saving which types of activity and when and max hr etc etc). It also had a fitness test VO2max thingy, but I'm not sure how well it works cos it's said I've gone backwards on my fitness after 6 weeks of hardcore workingout.

Also, the watch is pink! Gotta love that :)

x
  • dotknott
    dotknott Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have a polar as well. I picked up the FT7 on the cheap (Groupon for a local sporting goods store.) I looked at the FT4, but decided on the FT7 because I read that replacing the transmitter battery on the FT4 could impact its water-resistance. Since I plan on wearing the monitor in the pool, that wasn't something I really wanted to risk.

I've only had the monitor for about two weeks, but so far I love it. I don't know how anyone is supposed to know how accurate the calorie count is without a bevy of medical lab equipment, but I do notice that it is often higher than what the treadmill (or whatever machine) has guesstimated my burn to be.
  • Trollivier
    Trollivier Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just like my friend dotknott. Polar FT7 is a charm. FT7 gives you your burnt calories live, and if something breaks you don't have to replace the whole thing.