workouts for bad knees

Options
hello i am looking for a good workout that i can do i am 45 and have real bad knees one needs replaced and the other is not far behind i can not run on a treadmill i use the elliptical its not so bad on the knees i cant do squats just looking for some good ideas any would help thanks.

Replies

• xlimitx
    xlimitx Posts: 4
    Options
    my ma has knee problems too. She just stays on a diet and does walks everyday with me. We usually do a mile a day, but depends on everyone's limits, but I think walking would do fine, unless you could ask maybe a doctor maybe they would have ideas
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Hit the pool. Love the lap lane! Light walks are good too :)
  • TalonaCat
    TalonaCat Posts: 241
    Options
    What Bork said. The pool is an awesome idea for people with ailing joints.
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    Hit the pool. Love the lap lane! Light walks are good too :)

Along with the laps, check you local YMCA to see about water aerobics. You have the resistance from the water without the impact of regular aerobics.

I have foot problems, so I have faced many of the same problems you have. I got an exercise bike, and that has given me a lot of opportunity to burn the calories, which in turn has allowed me to lose enough weight to start walking. The bike may be a good option, so long as you keep the resistance low.
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems and everyone tells me a bike or eliptical. I have also heard the Gazelle would be a good option. I am looking for a used incumbant bike. Good luck!
  • bgriffin73
    Options
    I got the same problem, I have stopped using the treadmill and have moved to the elliptical and the cybex machine, it gives a great calorie burn. You can make it hard or as easy as you want. Whatever machine gets your heart rate up and doesn't hurt your knees is good.
  • chigirl_j
    chigirl_j Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Aqua aerobics is great and the results are astonishing when combined with good eating. A friend of mine is mostly wheelchair bound and has no problem in the water. My instructor was a single amputee and he worked with us in and out of the H2O ( out of the pool he stood at the ledge to see if we were moving as he instructed and make suggestions of adjustment if he saw a student having mobility issues). Water shoes or socs is advisable because they help you feel more balanced but you will feel your muscles strengthening because the water acts as a weight without adding too much pull on your joints. Your workout can be as strenuous or gentle as you like. Your appetite will increase but the fun level is high because usually everyone is laughing and joking as the water is beating the fat off ya. If you cant do a class but have access to a pool you can look up some pool exercises on the web and grab some friends and love ones for company and construct your own routine.

You should check with your doctor to get his opinion but I think you will get the green light I wish you well and lots and lots of COOL FUN! :glasses:
  • ropsnik
    ropsnik Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have bad knees as well. I do find walking on the treadmill with the incline is much easier on my knees. It is also less invasive on the joints than going for a walk outside on concrete side walks.

A bicycle or water aerobics might be a good way for your to take the impact off your knees.

Best regards..........it doesn't get any easier at age 60. Just keep on doing exercise within your physical limits.
  • brunion
    brunion Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas i never even gave swiming laps a thought thanks agan. and good luck to all of you.