Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

NSV - running

OK, not a biggy but have started running again (ok, jogging) and this time am trying to slow down so I can travel further before stopping. I used to try running further/faster each time I went out but as a smoker it wasn't far (or fast) and not the best way to improve.

Most routes here are hilly so today I drove 2 miles to a flattish area for a 4 mile run (+/- 250 feet) and managed 2.6 miles before stopping AND as a bonus I stopped to watch a Sea Eagle fly over the Loch - uber cool! On this route I stopped during a decline so reckon I'll do 3.1 miles next time out :)

Even just running at 5mph my average HR was at 75% so my next goal is to get the average down by (at least) 5%.

Replies

• Good plan!! running to fast to early is the number one mistake of new runners. You have to spend a lot of time building distance in the areobic zone to build that areobic base.

In short you have to run slow to run fast
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Good plan!! running to fast to early is the number one mistake of new runners. You have to spend a lot of time building distance in the areobic zone to build that areobic base.

In short you have to run slow to run fast

Txs and I love a good Oxymoron :)
  • mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12 Member
    I use a program called Couch 2 5K to get back in to running. It has really worked. It's a 9 week program and starts off slow with walking and jogging. Then each week it's more jogging and less walking. It helps build up your stamina and speed. The first few weeks might be pretty easy for you but worth a shot. If you have a smartphone they have apps that tell you when to run and when to walk.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    I use a program called Couch 2 5K to get back in to running...

Txs and yes, used similar when I first started running.I did think about doing it again but almost there already, just need to fathom out all these damn hills - though am conquering more each time I go out :)
  • mlbbarnes
    mlbbarnes Posts: 12 Member
    I use a program called Couch 2 5K to get back in to running...

Txs and yes, used similar when I first started running.I did think about doing it again but almost there already, just need to fathom out all these damn hills - though am conquering more each time I go out :)

Yeah this is my second time around with it and it has worked very well. Just finished a 3.4 mile run in 30 minutes! I don't even think I could do that in high school (when I was in shape) haha
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!