Yes,Another Protein Question!...

Options
So how much protein should a female consume? Like what would be a good goal? I also am looking to shed weight and tone up.. Look nice, be healthy, and have muscle... Would you recommend drinking protein shakes? & if you do, what kind would you recommend?

Replies

• erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Nobody agrees on how much protein anyone, man or woman should have. Just pick a percentage for your macros and stick with it. My current setup is 30%c/30%p/40%f, but I have to limit carbs due to cholesterol issues.

Also, toning up, is sort of a non accurate thing to say. Unless you are paralyzed, your muscles have tonicity, its what allows your muscles to work and you to be upright. As a female, it is virtually impossible for you to bulk up, and for anyone it is impossible to bulk up at a calorie deficit. So lift heavy relative to your abilities to maintain as much muscle mass as possible as you are losing weight. I wish I had received and followed that advice when I was starting losing weight.

As for protein shakes, if you find that you have difficulty hitting your protein goals, they can be helpful. For myself, in the mornings, since I dont eat, I make a coffee, greek yogurt, protein powder drink. But I'd try hitting your macros with real food first. Protein powder isn't magic, it is just a food supplement.