New to this

Options
I am pretty new to this, however I have been pleasantly pleased so far. I have tried dieting in the past and trying to get into working out again, however I have always found that something has always deterred me. However, with this and the app I have on m phone I have tried something else. I am completely overweight and my goal is hopefully to get back to what I was in High School(about 150 pounds away), which is 13 years ago. Anyways, I have found that just by counting calories each day and staying "true" to it and not leaving out a snack has helped me so far. I have only done this for a week and I didn't get my scale until late last week, but I am estimating in the first week a 3-5 pound loss. Biggest reason in my opinion is eating minimal calories(but enough to be "full" and cutting out Pop or Soda. I believe if I continue to stay disciplined and start working out with my elliptical for a little bit each day- hopefully building up to 45-60 minutes a day, I believe I will be able to reach my goal within a year. I HOPE! I know it's along stretch, but so far I am feeling better.

Replies

• oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I meant to mention what I was doing..

For Breakfast I have been doing the Slimfast drink.
    lunch: slimfast drink and a package of gummy bears(small pack).
    Snack after school: nutri-grain bar or something similar
    Maybe a few M & M's, no more than 30 a day- just enough for the taste.
    Dinner- I have been eating normal- average meal.

Elliptical- so far 15 minutes is my top.

but like I said- doing this for a week, I feel a little better and healthier already- but that may be in my head, but that is fine with me to begin with.
  • coke_bottle
    coke_bottle Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Looks to me like you are off to a great start! :flowerforyou: Although you should try to eat a good breakfast to keep your blood sugar regulated through the day so insulin levels won't rise and have you feeling hungry. You should also eat healthy whole foods.
  • asia_hanebach
    asia_hanebach Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Great start!! Keep at it!
  • ktd513
    ktd513 Posts: 32
    Options
    I agree great start! Keep it up and feel free to add me! :)
  • oudixon
    Options
    Thank you to you all. I agree about Breakfast, but I actually rarely ate breakfast before- it was usually a Gatorade or Coke during my first two classes I taught. I actually am not feeling down or malnourished. which is what I was afraid of. The first couple evenings I felt like I was going to eat my arm; but I like it, so I chose not to. Anyways, I am finding it's easier to go now and I have also realized that if I am hungry or starving, I will have something small just to keep me going.
  • AngelaL22
    Options
    Great start! I can empathize with you for sure, the first few weeks are the hardest, but as long as you stick to it you will get used to it and you will see results in no time. Keep up the good work!
  • oudixon
    Options
    Thank you AngelaL22
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think you're off to a great start. I often rely on Slim Fast when I'm pressed for time with my meals. I feel it's better than some if the other junk I would have used before. Keep up the good work!
  • oudixon
    Options
    Thank You.

Things seem to be getting easier at least with the being hungry plan. Today It looks like I will be at my "max" calories, which bother me, but I am ok with it. My goal is to make sure I am under my 2500 a day by at least 500 a day. So if I get close, I am ok with that.
  • CoachChrisD
    CoachChrisD Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Oudixon,
    may i ask what do you do for a fitness plan as well. remember dieting + fitness= results
  • oudixon
    Options
    You can ask away,

To be honest, I used to jump right in big by working out with the traditional GYM stuff, and lifting. However, I am trying a different method, because I believe my main reason for struggling is, that I enjoy food or fall back to finding excuses.

So for this last week and this week, my main goal is to just focus on a meal routine and slowly use my elliptical I bought a couple years ago. Once, I start getting into a routine where I don't get winded so quickly. I am planning on staying after at my school and work out and play basketball with some coworkers to stay active that way as well.

Then once I lose a lot of weight or get closer to my goal, I will then plan on lifting weights.
  • Layla76
    Layla76 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Im not a breakfast person either but the Slim Fast Shakes never tasted good to me or kept me feeling full very long. Im using Shakeology now and I love the recipes and the energy it gives me. Its good to see that you have a plan in place to follow. Thats a big step and you seem to be doing good with it. Feel free to add me if you like. Its always good to have more motivation and support.
  • oudixon
    Options
    Thanks, I hope it continues.
  • oudixon
    Options
    After a week and half I am finally getting a routine down that isn't killing me- either with hungry or exercise. All be it- it's only 20 minutes this time of exercise. Nevertheless, I believe in this time being over 12 days I have lost about 10 pounds. I believe most of the reason for this is that i have cut out soda and cut calories. My belief is that this should continue for about 20-30 more pounds(hoping a lot more to be honest- since this has been fairly easy so far).