Looking to dump splenda/aspartame...what is best?

I know I should just use natural sugars from whole foods, but that is not reality for me. So does any one have any alternatives to splenda for coffee?

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Honey. Coconut sugar. Stevia.
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Thanks
  • I like truvia....
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Honey. Stevia. Raw cane sugar. I think Truvia is derived from Stevia. I dumped aspartame like a hot potato when I found out that your body can't really digest aspartame & turns it into formaldehyde........
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Stevia definatly, I have been using it for over a year now and have gotten to my goal weight it is natural not a lot of chemicals,,,,,
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    stevia for sure! :heart:
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    There's one called Nectresse, it's made from monkfruit and other naturally occurring sources. I find it doesn't have the same "metallic" taste as stevia.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    I've been using Nectresse in an orange box/container. It's derived from monk fruit, has the same texture as sugar, and, really, I think it has a better sweeter flavor that splenda.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    When you get stevia, make sure it's not REB A, as that is not natural stevia extract...it's a patented chemical, thanks to some greedy company:)
  • jhassell67
    jhassell67 Posts: 5 Member
    Raw Honey , you can buy honey and cinnamon mixed as long as that's the only ingredients! I don't like the aftertaste of Stevia. Nothing artificial.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    I use Stevia
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    try to get raw honey from a local. My neighbour keeps bees so I'm very lucky to have super fresh honey. You can try manuca honey as well (we have it a lot in Aus and New Zealand, don't know about where you are). It's very popular for health benefits :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Honey. Coconut sugar. Stevia.

What's the deal with coconut sugar? Is it as sweet as regular sugar, does it taste coconutty? I saw a big bag for cheaps at Costco but I wasn't sure about it...
  • I drink coffee black so don't have to deal with getting all the sugar from it, but if I wouldn't use sugar I would stick to Splenda in coffee. It doesn't pass into the blood stream from the digestive tract and I get plenty of natural sugar from the foods I eat.
  • determinedhealthy
    determinedhealthy Posts: 199 Member
    Good info. I tried honey and a bit of 1% milk this a.m. not as sweet as 2 splenda packets, but I think I could get used to it. I will look for other mentioned items above the next time I go shopping. I'm in Florida btw
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    I've been a splenda fan for over 5 years now. The only thing I find that is sweet enough for me is Stevia. I tried fructose but, it just had a strange effect on my coffee.
  • CENSchafer
    CENSchafer Posts: 4 Member
    I use Nectresse and love it! We tried Stevia and it has a weird taste to it. Nectresse is awesome! My husband is very picky with that kind of stuff...and he couldn't stand the Stevia in his coffee and tea, but he "didn't mind" the Nectresse. Now he is actually enjoying the Nectresse. Good Luck!
  • genkimomof2
    genkimomof2 Posts: 50 Member
    Can you learn to live without the sugar? I slowly reduced the amount of sugar I used until I was able to drink my tea and coffee straight or with a dollop of milk (because it's the only calcium I get all day, LOL). Once you are used to it, you don't miss it, i promise. It's healthier, and has way fewer calories when it's sugar free.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    I've been using Nectresse in an orange box/container. It's derived from monk fruit, has the same texture as sugar, and, really, I think it has a better sweeter flavor that splenda.

Sort of... if you look at the ingredients list "sugar" is the second thing on there.

OP - I like a bit of Stevia or Truvia (Made from Stevia)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,446 Member
    I don't like stevia in my coffee. But it is fine for tea.

Stevia in the raw is almost tolerable for coffee for me.

I generally just use raw sugar (if available). Also, coffee and milk matter. For example, milk fat adds sweetness, so I actually just use whole milk topped with a bit of half and half. an 1/8c + 1 tablespoon of half and half isn't a huge hit calorie wise.

Good luck!