Vitamin D Deficiency

Options
Hey everyone, Just wondering if anyone has had problems with Vitamin D Deficiency?
I was just diagnosed with a very low level of Vitamin D and have been having problems
with fatigue and trouble losing weight, and I'm really hoping that increasing my level with
a Vitamin D supplement will help. If anyone has also had this problem, I'd really like to
here about your experience. Thanks so much.

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have a vitamin D deficiency (just look how pale I am haha!). I have been taking vitamin D on and off, and I find when I really stick to it that it does help my energy levels. However, I have really improved my diet so don't make vitamin D the only 'excuse' that you have love energy, make sure you're eating really good food as well!

In regards to weight, couldn't tell you. I have hypothyroid as well so it's a bit different, and I'm not too obsessed with losing my weight (I'm a healthy weight now, just want my little tummy to go).

Just make sure you take Vitamin D, because if you don't you will be unable to absorb any calcium regardless of how much you eat, and will get weak bones etc in the long run... it's super important!

And at that, I will take my daily tablet :) thanks for the reminder haha!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It turns out that a very large portion of the population is low on Vit D. I live in Tucson, the desert. We're all deficient here. We hide in the shade, carry umbrellas, wear gallons of sunscreen, and stay inside. We don't like letting the sun touch our skin. My doc put me on supplements almost a year ago. I haven't had my blood test this year to see how it's helped, but I'm hoping it's at a better number now.
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    My doc told me that Vit D also (along with all the other important things it does) is a necessary part of insulin production. So that a lack of Vit D makes the body not process sugars properly, which in turn can then lead to diabetes. Crazy, huh?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    If you take vitamin D you need to also take magnesium. It's an important cofactor for Vitamin D absorption, and a major underlying reason for vitamin D deficiency in the first place. You can take 1million IUs of vitamin D3 and if you're magnesium deficient won't absorb enough. People get put on higher and higher doses of D3, when they really need a lower D3 dose and a magnesium supplement. Magnesium oxide is better than Magnesium citrate, don't take the dose all at once. Most supplements come with the dose split in several pills, take them a couple times a day for best absorption. If you take more than you can absorb, it acts as a laxative.

Other symptoms that can indicate low magnesium are frequent headaches, muscle cramps- often in the neck (sometimes even having knots that won't go away for months), trouble sleeping, fatigue, sometimes constipation...basically anything where something in your body is clenched and needs to relax.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    If you take vitamin D you need to also take magnesium. It's an important cofactor for Vitamin D absorption, and a major underlying reason for vitamin D deficiency in the first place. You can take 1million IUs of vitamin D3 and if you're magnesium deficient won't absorb enough. People get put on higher and higher doses of D3, when they really need a lower D3 dose and a magnesium supplement. Magnesium oxide is better than Magnesium citrate, don't take the dose all at once. Most supplements come with the dose split in several pills, take them a couple times a day for best absorption. If you take more than you can absorb, it acts as a laxative.

Other symptoms that can indicate low magnesium are frequent headaches, muscle cramps- often in the neck (sometimes even having knots that won't go away for months), trouble sleeping, fatigue, sometimes constipation...basically anything where something in your body is clenched and needs to relax.

Thanks!
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I take it but I also try to add time outside....body loves the sun so you need to enjoy it. :) I agree about the Magnesium, especially if you have a water softener system. That strips the magnesium from your water - so does a water purifier.

Monica
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Go outside and play! Seriously, sun triggers our vitamin d production, so play ball!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Thanks bean! I was told mine was a bit low last time I saw the doctor and I have something that feels like a knot in my shoulder/neck that's been there for 6 months. I'm about to see doc again and will mention this.
  • believe1922
    believe1922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Wow..that is so good to know-Your Awesome! Thanks so much! : )
  • Troubleupnorth
    Options
    I have also been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency. But what has helped the most with me energy levels is taking a complex vitamin b. It has hsd amaxing results!
  • believe1922
    believe1922 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Go outside and play! Seriously, sun triggers our vitamin d production, so play ball!

I love the outside...ugh, unfortunately as it's winter....don't get to see the sun as much as I'd like...lol.
    I'm so ready for SPRING!! : ) Thanks for your thoughts!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Sadly I fry whenever I am out in the sun. If I'm not coveted up and smoothered in sunblock I will be bright red and blistered in under 15. Which is why I am low n vitamin D.

I've been taking prescription strength vitamin D for about a year and a half now and huge difference in my energy.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

+1 since I came in here just to confirm that you were magnesium crusading :flowerforyou:

Another concern is Vitamin D is formed on the skin and can be removed by washing:
    "Agnes Helmer and Cornelius Jensen published a remarkable human/animal study in 1937, showing that significant amounts of Vitamin D are made on the surface of human skin. Reverend Jensen, the senior author, was a professor of biophysics as St. Thomas Aquinas, the precursor of the University of Dayton. The authors collected surface oils from young men before showering, irradiated the oils, and showed those oils contained large amounts of Vitamin D, enough to cure rickets in animals. Then, they tested a very practical question; can those oils be removed by washing? Indeed they found washing, even with plain water, removed much of the Vitamin D from the surface of human skin."
    http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/news-archive/2009/showering-after-sunbathing/

Vitamin D metabolism - http://adc.bmj.com/content/48/1/2.full.pdf
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I take 5,000 iu daily. I also take b-6, iron and folate.

I feel much better!
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have Vitamin D deficiency-- and have a perscription for 50,000 IU (international units) which I take monthly. My dad has the same perscription but takes it twice a month. I definitely notice a difference.
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I have Vitamin D deficiency-- and have a prescription for 50,000 IU (international units) which I take monthly. My dad has the same perscription but takes it twice a month. I definitely notice a difference.

Ditto. I was 50,000 IU once a week for 4 weeks. If you are severely low <15 , then they should have given you a script. If you are just moderately low then I would supplement with a D3 1,000-5,000IU.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I live in the Pacific NW - we have no sun so I've been taking Vitamin D but didn't know about the Magnesium.
  • gfiorine
    gfiorine Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I went to the DR a few months ago complaining about lack of energy and not being able to lose weight, he immediately wanted my vitamin D checked and it was an 18. He considered that low and has me on 8000 ius a day and I'm starting to notice a difference in the gym, I'm finally feeling my endurance go up and getting in better shape. For the past year, I had gone to the gym, but never seemed to improve my endurance no matter how much I tried pushing myself. I don't know about the magnesium, I'll definitely mention that to my DR at my next appointment. Thanks!
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options

hey, I'm on vid D and for years (since senior high school) have had horrid trouble with muscle pain in my shoulders/neck. I have bruxism (grinding) too and my dentist mentioned magnesium to help this, so perhaps it really is worth a shot. Thanks :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    Options
    Do you need more Magnesium than you get from food? It's in lots of foods, and in multivitamins. Bran, herbs, dark chocolate, almonds, edamame, peanut butter, yogurt, avocados, bananas, milk, spinach, corn, and a lot of other things. So, if you're eating those things regularly do you actually need a magnesium supplement? Does the Vit D and the Magnesium have to be taken together to be effective? Or can it acculmulate?