Are binge drinking and binge eating related?

Options
I ask this question because I used to have many issues with binge drinking that was sometimes kept under control until in an unpredictable fashion I would lose control for another night. and let's just say this was the type of binge drinking that ended me up in dangerous situations on more than one occasion. Finally, one morning, I decided to quit any and all drinking and put that part of my life behind me. It's been 4.5 years now, and I'd like to say that was successful. Of course, it's not that hard to make a black and white decision because you don't need alcohol to survive, so you CAN cut it out completely.
Food on the other hand is a different issue. For the past few months, I've really been gung ho about eating healthy, and in the right portions while additionally ramping up my exercise to improve overall fitness and strength. I'm setting out to be the best me that I can be. I'm getting more and more conscious about the food I'm putting in my body, but every now and then (like tonight), in an unpredictable fashion, I will just binge. In this case it was mostly lots of cereal (no HFCS), milk, apple and bananas with peanut butter, cheese etc etc. So nothing that I consider too toxic, these are all foods that I include in my diet normally, just noooo control of portion, and these were all eaten after my caloric goals were met. (and after eating these I just over doubled my daily allowance). and I wasn't hungry, these were clearly cravings.
To answer the common questions, I am always well hydrated , my caloric intake is high enough for my fitness activity, and I always eat back calories that are subtracted from exercise. I always meet or exceed my protein goal which is 100g (I want to build muscle while burning fat). Oh, and I am only 8 or so pounds off of my goal weight (depending on the day). Oh and it is not that time of the month for me... that was my "excuse the past two weeks".
Anyways, I can't seem to string together even 5 days of healthy eating. Any advice? Has anyone else had binging problems in these areas like me?

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the relation between binging on booze and binging on food but the food thing I can get. The only thing that I have found that helps me (and this won't help if the binging is related to an eating disorder) is preparing whatever foods I feel like eating but cutting the portions into tiny amounts (the more different types of food I want, the smaller the portion). If I want a bagel with cream cheese, I might toast half the bagel and then cut that in half, put cream cheese on the 1/4 bagel and eat that (as slowly as I can while I think about/enjoy every bite). If I also want something with melty cheese I might cut a piece of toast into quarters, put 3 of the 4 in a plastic baggie and use the other piece to make a small open faced grilled cheese. That way I can have all the things that I want and still stay in my calories.

I also try to substitute in healthy things that fill the same craving. If I want french fries, I chop up a sweet potato and toss it in olive oil and bake it (about double the portion and half the calories of regular fries plus sweet and savory). If I want cheesy, I would make a light cheese sauce and put it on some veggies.

I try to remember that the food tastes the same whether I take one bite or a thousand and that regardless of how many bites I take, eventually it will be gone.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Yes, you described me perfectly too. I don't have any magical answers for you. I'm on I think day 11 of no binging. I did great on MFP for the first 4 months and then binged pretty much the entire month of December. Middle of January I was back to normal, for a few days, then would binge again, repeat. I've been telling myself that it's what I do "most" of the time. I can't expect perfection. One bad day won't kill my efforts, binging for a month will. If I fall off the wagon, I gotta keep it to that one day and am trying my hardest to make them fewer and farther between. I did have just yesterday in fact, what would have before turned into a full on binge, what I did was think of the top three things I wanted to eat, and I ate one serving size of each one. I tried to eat slowly and drank lots of water with each thing. By the end I was really full and didn't want anything else. I know in a true binge, it happens to fast to really think about doing those things. And in the end it is going to be mind over matter and you're going to have to exercise willpower. That's how I handled my first having willpower binge. I didn't even end up going over on calories for the day. Good luck, and I totally think the behaviors are related, it's all addictive behaviors. I used to be a smoker and the mental aspects when trying to stop both actions are extremely similar.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on putting down the bottle.

It's a good possibility that they are related because those of us with addictive personalities (me) tend to replace one vice with another.
  • jsahler2
    jsahler2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the tips and thoughts. Today is a new day! (although it also happens to be Fat Tuesday and my work has a yummy potluck mardi gras themed lunch, but I did okay on my portion control and skipped dessert minus one bite). I will keep working on those random binging nights and insert a glass of water or an activity like cleaning up a room in between bowls off cereal, and maybe my brain will catch up what I'm shoving in my face :) I can do this!
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Whether you're binging on alcohol or food, both are a serious indicator that there are some underlying emotional issues that need to be addressed before you can make anything better.

If you realize you are about to gorge on everything and anything in sight try to substitute it with another activity and/or take time to really think of why you are reaching for the food. Did someone make you mad? Are you lonely? Did you have a saddening thought? Are you feeling discouraged for some reason? Identify what it is that caused you to turn to food and tackle it logically by figuring out what can make the situation better. I'm sure in every case you will find that food is never the answer and you'll be glad you had the strength to step back and do so. :)
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I was a binge drinker and quit drinking altogether a few years ago. Only to be replaced by binge eating. I eventually realized I was eating to fill a hole, and once I worked on feeling good about myself, I seldom binge. It was a bit of a bumpy road, but the work was worth it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    I agree that there are emotional issues at play.

Have you tried a little therapy? I'm not being snippy, it really helps to understand what feelings you are "stuffing down" when you eat too much. There is some anxiety being medicated by the food (and by the alcohol).

Or you could read some books - like Cognitive Behaviour Therapy type books.

Good luck!

Change your thoughts, change your life.
  • bluefrog_2001
    bluefrog_2001 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Whether you're binging on alcohol or food, both are a serious indicator that there are some underlying emotional issues that need to be addressed before you can make anything better.

If you realize you are about to gorge on everything and anything in sight try to substitute it with another activity and/or take time to really think of why you are reaching for the food. Did someone make you mad? Are you lonely? Did you have a saddening thought? Are you feeling discouraged for some reason? Identify what it is that caused you to turn to food and tackle it logically by figuring out what can make the situation better. I'm sure in every case you will find that food is never the answer and you'll be glad you had the strength to step back and do so. :)

My thoughts exactly. Binging is binging, whether it be food, alcohol, gambling, shopping.....it all does the same, a bit of euphoria high, then the crashing low-down afterwards.

I am a stress and a binge eater. Realizing it and recognizing my triggers has helped out tremendously.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options

If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • pwa007
    pwa007 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think... the two behaviors are related. Consuming alcohol did something for you, helped with a social anxiety, released stress... Food can be an addiction. Perhaps you are replacing alcohol with food. What are you feeling when you are binging? Are you bored? Are you nervous? Feel a lack of direction? Is it socially driven ie: eating because you are out and being social, or are you eating because you are alone and feel isolated? Is it stress based, ie: a test, work issues, school issues? You might be looking to food to give you a feeling of comfort, a feeling of "fullness" because you feel "empty." I am a stress eater/soda binger. When the going gets tough, the soda and mint oreos start flowing. Why? I think because the caffeine gives me an edge that makes me feel sharper, more alert to tackle my issues or stress, and mint oreos.... I think because I want the sugar (again, it makes me jumpy) and I crave the taste of that naughty mint chocolatey'ness. Perhaps the solution to your binge eating is finding the source of your binge eating. If you are eating out of lonliness, sense of isolation, join a group, hang out with your awesome... and might I add beautiful friends ;) If you are eating out of stress, find a stress reliever, go climb a flight of stairs, do 10 minutes of stretching or yoga to distract your mind from thoughts of food and calm the spirit. Hope this helps! :D
  • fourteeners
    Options
    I have found that I engage in addictive behaviors when something is bothering me emotionally. It can be small or subconcious; sometimes I don't even realize until later that I am upset! What really helps me when I feel like this is finding someone I feel really comfortable around, and just hanging out with them. I don't necessarily talk about anything (it is really difficult for me to put things into words when my emotions are in turmoil), sometimes we just watch tv or read together, or go on a walk, or cook together, but being near someone who loves me settles the feelings of desparation that tempt me to want to spin out of control. Don't know if this matches your experience, but it has been the most helpful tool in my life! :)
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I think binge-eating is the same, only it's not all foods - probably certain ones. Try keeping track of what you eat and what seems to trigger the binge. I know I have to stay away from sugary foods. I'm finding things like cashews and peanuts will do the same. (Really - a serving is about 12? Who eats 12?!) For me it's best not to eat the first one.
  • jsahler2
    jsahler2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Valid point, and probably something I would say to someone who posed the same question. Without starting a philosophical debate, I would argue that everyone has some degree of emotional/mental issues, accompanied by good or bad days, with triggers ever present. I agree with you that, the binging issues will then spout up when that person, for whatever reason, loses their own control mechanisms for dealing with those issue.

As for me, I'm having a harder time figuring out what triggers my binges. Let's take yesterday for example, I was at work, kind of feeling cravings for food all day, but resisted the free yummy desserts brought in by others, and stuck to my healthy snack drawer and lots of water. I think as soon as I got home I lost control. I had about 400 calories left for my dinner, and I was CRAVING cereal like a fiend! Portioned out one serving, ate that, and then it all went downhill from there. My stress level and emotions yesterday were no different from any other. no immediate thoughts that triggered it. Bored? maybe. All I know is I wanted cereal!

I've always thought the best therapists are good friends, because they know you best and will let you just hash out what you are thinking with little to no judgement. Luckily, I have many awesome friends.

I liked someone's suggestion that certain FOODs May be an actual trigger. Maybe my cereal has too many simple sugars to stimulate more of a binging attitude? Certainly the environment plays a big role for me. I often have these binging nights while at home because food is just there...again, it's healthy food for the most part. So boredom or loneliness could be contributing factors.

Lots of good feedback and things to think about. Thanks all!!