Did I eat too little?

Options
Today was a great day. I worked out really hard at the gym. But because I went to the gym after work, I really wasn't hungry at dinner time. Therefore I only ate about 900 calories. When I finished my day I have over 1000 extra calories left. I don't feel so great about that because I feel like I should've eaten more. But im perfectly satisfied with what I ate, and would be pushing myself to eat more. Judging by my diary what should I have done differently?

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Ate: 930 calories
    Burned: 755 calories
    Net: 175 calories

Yes, you should be netting at least 1200 calories.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options

^This.

If you make a habit of working out after work, and you know you won't be hungry, consume more calories earlier in the day.

As for today, grab a jar of peanut butter and go to town. You need to eat.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^This.

If you make a habit of working out after work, and you know you won't be hungry, consume more calories earlier in the day.

Or ice cream
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I look at the week as a whole. There is bound to be a day that I really want to eat more or a few days I want to eat more and some days that for whatever reason I'm just not hungry. As long as the week balances out I don't worry about the days in particular. Eating when I wasn't hungry is part of the reason I got fat. I'm trying to do more listening to what my body is telling me.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I look at the week as a whole. There is bound to be a day that I really want to eat more or a few days I want to eat more and some days that for whatever reason I'm just not hungry. As long as the week balances out I don't worry about the days in particular. Eating when I wasn't hungry is part of the reason I got fat. I'm trying to do more listening to what my body is telling me.
    And listening to the body during chronic calorie restriction is why people such as the OP no longer feel hungry after eating a paltry 800 calories.
  • Jozie_
    Jozie_ Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'd make a hearty snack with plenty of protien then head to bed and tuck into a really good breakfast. One day won't destroy your metabolism
  • sandhop
    sandhop Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like that attitude...and that way you don't have to beat yourself up when you have a day where you were a little bit over. I was not feeling well today so it was a bit lower but I'm sure I can make it up sometime yet this week.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Put it this way, I net about 10 times the amount of food you do, and I exercise, and I eat those calories back. Not feeling hungry does not correlate to being healthy, just ask a anorexic, many feel satisfied with very little food.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    And listening to the body during chronic calorie restriction is why people such as the OP no longer feel hungry after eating a paltry 800 calories.

Like I said, I make sure that it balances at the end of the week. I would definitely stop listening to my body if it were telling me not to eat enough for the week overall.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

^This.

Or ice cream

Or have a party tomorrow.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

^This.

Or ice cream

I second the ice cream
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

^This.

Or ice cream

Or have a party tomorrow.

Or a bottle of wine...
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    From looking over your diary, I don't want to sound harsh or anything, but your diet doesn't look so good. Fruit loops for breakfast are a big no-no. Your body is telling you stop perhaps because you have just had so much sugar that it needs a break.

Try to get more whole vegetables in there and cut down on the junk, and also try having a protein shake after your workout to make sure those muscles are well fed! You want to be getting at least 100g protein a day (more with all your exercise!)

xx
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Judging by my diary what should I have done differently?

Eaten food
  • silkyb1
    silkyb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    HEY CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME HELP? HOW DO YOU CUT DOWN ON SNACKING AT NIGHT? I JUST JOIN YESTERDAY NEED SOME HELP.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HEY CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME HELP? HOW DO YOU CUT DOWN ON SNACKING AT NIGHT? I JUST JOIN YESTERDAY NEED SOME HELP with my manners

Please start your own thread.
  • lisamichelle123
    lisamichelle123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    HEY CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME HELP? HOW DO YOU CUT DOWN ON SNACKING AT NIGHT? I JUST JOIN YESTERDAY NEED SOME HELP with my manners

^^ Yes! Lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Giggles.
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Your diary shows you not logging your calories everyday so it is impossible to tell whether you are overeating or undereating. One day is not going to make you or break you. Log ALL of the calories you eat for one week and then divide by seven and you will then know whether you are eating too little or too much.
  • dizzimamma
    Options
    When i started working out i lost my appetite and was only eating about 1000 cals a day. Still never hungry. I now eat 6 times a day. Just throw in 2 heavy snacks. My fav is an englit
    h muffin with pb and j. Puts an easy 300 cals on the board.