Is it possible ???

pixietwilight
pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I exercise on my elliptical on average about 65 to 75 mins on the last 3 resistance levels and the machine always tells me that I burn anywhere between 800 to 1000 calories. I have been told that the machine usually over estimates these amounts. So i went and bought a heart rate monitor that also calculates my calories. I was on the elliptical for 33 mins I measured my heart rate every 2 mins and the calorie counter on the heart rate monitor said I burned 576 calories. My average heart rate is 75 at rest. when on the elliptical within the first 3 mins my heart goes to 155 - 160. I maintained it there for 30 mins til I stopped.

33 mins and 576 calories could that be right??? I am 32 and weigh 210 lbs female and 5"9"

Replies

• durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Honestly i dont know all the mathematics of it..but its possible.
  • pixietwilight
    I found a website that I think does a better calculation of calories burned. I just don't believe (even if I feel like I am dying when I finish the elliptical) that I have burned that much. I am not sure if anyone else has these same concerns, but here it is.

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Given your weight, it is not IMpossible, but it would take a pretty high level of fitness to do so. I weigh about 200 and it is a supreme effort to hit 500 calories in 30 min on an elliptical--my VO2 max is in the 45-50 ml/kg/min range. I suspect you are a good 100-150 Calories off.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Well... here's a comparison. I'm at 164 and if I'm steadily burning 10 calories per minute, I can burn up to 400 in 35-40 minutes so it's very possible. The more you weigh, the more calories you burn when you're exercise because it's harder for your body to do it. So if you're 210, you could easily be burning that much. Just trust it. :happy:
  • pixietwilight
    Thanks for the input!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    According to the elliptical I use at my office's gym, I burn about 540-560 calories per 45 minute workout (level 4-5 setting usually). I feel like it's high, but I also weigh 194 at the moment so it's definitely possible. I expect it will go down as my weight does. I don't eat all my exercise calories tho, in case it's still overestimating.
This discussion has been closed.