PIZZA vs. WEIGHTLOSS

Options
So yesterday was a hard day. In the evening all I wanted to do was order a pizza, although it had been the first day I craved junk in 3 months but I opted for carrot sticks. My mentality was that I could eat half a pizza BUT I would feel like a failure and what is better....a few minutes of tasty junk (that would probably make me feel ill) or a lose on the scales. Hence, I woke up this morning I thought I would weigh myself and I was so happy to see another 1 lb off telling me that I am making the right decisions in my life. Now only 5 lbs to get under 200 lbs....I can't wait. My next goal is the "overweight" category in another 14 lbs which will be tough to do as I have to study for my final year exams but I've already told myself that I will go for a spray tan and the salon to dye my hair back to blonde.....I know I will feel a million bucks when I get to that goal so pizza is no conciliation to losing weight....this is a lifestyle.

I hope all you guys are making the right choices on your journeys

x

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Great work Kajak!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome post Kajak!

You are proving that losing weight is all about choice. You made the choice to lose weight and now have made the choice to stick with your decision...and I consider that very admirable.
    The next time you are craving pizza try this very simple recipe:

1 low far/low carb (high fiber) tortilla
    2 tablespoons Ragu homestyle pizza sauce
    6 turkey pepperoni slices
    Half a can mushrooms
    1 slice onion (diced)
    1/4 cup low fat mozzarella
    Place tortilla on baking pan, Add toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 to 9 minutes.
    Around 200 calories total...yery yummy and you can throw this together faster than the it takes for the delivery guy to show up!

Good luck in all you do,

Jan aka PoeRaven

536659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    great job you did with the pizza temptation!! great job on the 30 lb weight loss... I do want to say one thing, you can't deny yourself a craving here or there just make a better version of it like PoeRaven posted.. OR have 1 slice with a salad. you will be surprised how good you will feel to limit yourself to 1 slice with salad instead of a half pie!!!

Friday nights is pizza night at my house, I have to admit we have missed quite a few since me being on a diet, lifestyle change call it what you will, but you have to learn to "make it work" or one day you will find yourself back to half a pie ( or whole) feeling horrible!!

You're a beautiful girl!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with Starry Eyed girl...Don't deny yourself a indulgence on occasion! It just sets you up for failure...
    Again...good luck!

PoeRaven
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    That is SO awesome! You deserve a huge pat on the back. Besides chocolate, pizza is my biggest downfall. I can NEVER eat just one, or even two slices! So I understand and appreciate the sacrifice that you made.

A couple weeks ago DH & I went to another couples house and the guys decided to order a 30" pizza (we have pix to prove it)! Talk about sabotage! I really struggled, but I ate less than I normally would which is the best I could do in that situation.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    That's great, kaja! :) 30 lbs is a huge deal and you should be so proud, and I know you are. :happy: I do want to say to the other posters, though, that sometimes when you have a craving, "fulfilling" it with a healthier version doesn't work. Usually when I have a craving for pizza, it's a specific kind not just pizza in general. I want to taste that grease in my mouth, lol. But everyone's different so I can see where you guys are coming from.
  • MysterriGal
    MysterriGal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I second that arielle. Funny since I started eating so healthy, my craving of pizza has risen significantly, and my veggie pita pizzas just don't do it. I'm going out tonight for a friends birthday, and I've already wrote out my pizza, no meat, half cheese and veggies. I'm going to be looking at everyone else's with loads of bacon and probably fries, wanting to steal theirs lol. It just comes down to strength and determination, and even though it feels crappy when you don't let yourself indulge, it feels a whole lot better later when you don't have that slimey greasy feeling, and when you don't see it in your food diary or on your hips. And being good once, and how good it feels in the end, is just a little inspiration to be good the next time. Way to stay strong lady!!!:happy:
  • kajaknowers
    kajaknowers Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    yes I am very aware of the alternatives but like arielle said i want grease even though i know its so calorific and will make me feel ill as I am no longer used to that type of food. My only problem is my obsessive compulsive order....when i do something i do it to the max. I'm a clean freak and with this weightloss, I find it far more productive to not eat junk full stop....besides its a lifestyle. I've come to the conclusion that junk food has no benefits....food is fuel and i have overindulged for years so i dont deserve a takeaway, Maybe in a few months I will have a slice but I think I am better off considering junkfood like a drug addiction....its all or nothing. I dont want to be reminded of the flavour and it is never good for you x
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to that, kaja! I can be pretty obsessive compulsive too which is why I won't allow myself a cheat day because I know I would go over board and probably consume 3000 calories or more.

The other day I gave in to ONE slice of Little Caesar's pizza my bf's brother had in the fridge and it was nice to actually taste it. I counted it in my calories and ended up going over my fat for the day. I knew it was bad fat so every time I crave pizza and try to justify it by saying I have extra calories, I'm reminded of that bad fat and I can easily turn it away. :happy: It's SOME kind of accomplishment, I guess. Ha.
  • eliblish
    eliblish Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you!! I'm the same. I can't eat "just one" piece of pizza. It's almost worse than eating none at all. It's all or nothing when it comes to my favorite foods. And it's much harder to resist than to give in! I still struggle with saying no to junk. So good job!! I know it's hard.
  • arnurse
    arnurse Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I understand what your going through. I was on low carb diet once for 11 months and lost 45 pounds (not the healthest diet to be on). I stopped craving sweets and junk...then came thanksgiving and my step mom's wonderful pecan pie. Just one piece won't hurt...yea right...that was the beginning of the end and I've never been able to lose on low carb again. I am struggling staying on this healthy living but I am not going to give up this time. Congratulations on your weight loss Kaja. Could you post the pita pizza recipe that sounds so good and Poeraven your recipe sounds good also.
  • mkoff32
    mkoff32 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You are a better person than I. Pizza is the one thing I can't give up.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    awesome job! pizza is my favorite food and it gets so hard for me not to give in :( lol
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I am the same way but everytime I think that I deserve to be "bad" and I indulge I feel horrible afterwards. Mentally and physically. Good job staying away. And good luck to getting below 200. I just hit that milestone a couple weeks ago and it made me that much more confident that I can complete this journey!
  • joyfoolous
    joyfoolous Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    haha my new idol
  • iluvbread
    iluvbread Posts: 104
    Options
    I have the same problem with spaghetti and meatballs....I have to avoid completely. There is no way I can eat one cup of whole wheat pasta and feel satisfied...its the bowl or nothing. I stopped eating it for six months and hen I returned to it, I returned with a vengeance. I even required dessert after I ate it..lol! Anyway, I say lose the weight first and then slowly reenter the piza (or spaghetti)!
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome post Kajak!

You are proving that losing weight is all about choice. You made the choice to lose weight and now have made the choice to stick with your decision...and I consider that very admirable.
    The next time you are craving pizza try this very simple recipe:

1 low far/low carb (high fiber) tortilla
    2 tablespoons Ragu homestyle pizza sauce
    6 turkey pepperoni slices
    Half a can mushrooms
    1 slice onion (diced)
    1/4 cup low fat mozzarella
    Place tortilla on baking pan, Add toppings. Bake at 400 degrees for about 8 to 9 minutes.
    Around 200 calories total...yery yummy and you can throw this together faster than the it takes for the delivery guy to show up!

Good luck in all you do,

Jan aka PoeRaven

536659.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

We do the exact same thing minus the pepperoni, but we roll our tortillas up, that way any extras can be popped into the freezer for another time, or into next days lunches for the kiddos
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Low fat pizza sandwiches:

Bread (I like sourdough rolls halved)

Spread with spaghetti sauce
    Top w/ low fat cheese
    Add whatever else you want

Bake until done.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    That's great!

But... pizza doesn't have to be so bad. I actually eat it pretty often (I moonlight in a pizza joint a couple nights a week, lol).
    Go for handtossed crust (thin doesn't make a big calorie difference & is much less filling!), LOTS of veggies, grilled chicken, and light cheese. Eat 2 slices. That's a meal. You'll be full & your pizza craving will be satisfied because you've actually eaten real pizza from a pizza joint. :wink: And you haven't done anything very unhealthy, either.

For me, this is about finding a way I can live for the rest of my life. And I'm not willing to live a pizza free life. :laugh: It took me many months to get to this point, though, so I understand the all or nothing mentality! I had to cold turkey stop eating all kinds of candy for 3 months before I could be trusted to have an appropriate portion & stop there. :tongue:

I <3 pizza! :laugh: I guess it helps, too, that veggie pizza has always been my fav. Now I just add chicken for extra protein & cut down on the cheese, and voila!
  • cuppycake22
    cuppycake22 Posts: 224
    Options
    I love the tortilla pizza! wow just tried it tonight and both my boyfriend and I would prefer this over any take out pizza! Thanks for the recipe Jan it is great! (and i couldn't even finish a whole one) :)