Help!

vicky1984
vicky1984 Posts: 4
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Dear all,

I've been following (yes I have cheated occasionally!) My Fitness Pal for about 3 months now. I have lost about 5 pounds in total. I was hoping to lose more but it just doesn't seem to be coming off. I've been exercising and sticking to the 1200 calories per day. I have not lost anything for about 1 month now and I was wondering...is this normal?!!

Thank you! x

Replies

• sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    I have a few questions.
    1. How much do you weigh now?
    2. Do you excersise? How often?
    3. Do you log EVERYTHING onto your diary?

The reason I'm asking is that if you excersise and stick to 1200 cal a day - your body is probably in STARVATION mode. Everything you eat is saved because your body does not get enough.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    Maybe you have no weight to lose?? I've also been tracking calories for a week shy of 3 months and put myself up to 1500 calories on Day 2, because I would DIE on 1200. I do a lot of cycling, running, climbing so for example today I had an extra 900 calories - and I have NO trouble eating them. I have lost consistent weight (14 pounds since Jan 04) and as I am less than a kilo from my goal it has been those hard to move last few pounds that have come off. I'm no expert but to not lose anything on 1200 calories sounds impossible. I guess I am six foot though, maybe if you are five and half my weight ....
    Anyway best of luck.
  • I am 126 pounds and hoping to get down to 116. I am only 5ft 1 and so I still feel quite heavy for my height. I try and swim once and week and I go to the gym 2 times a week.

I have been strict with myself and writing down everything in the diary. I have had a couple of disaster days though (particularly at the weekend) but generally I have been strict with myself.

Maybe I should do more exercise?!
  • Kessie
    Kessie Posts: 5
    I can really sympathize! I am also trying to stay to 1200 calories a day and it is so hard. I am 5' 2" and hoping to lose 10 pounds. I am middle-aged, though, so maybe that is part of why it is so slow coming off? I exercise 3 - 4 days a week. Any suggestions for me? I have lost only 2 pounds in 4 weeks.
  • sunnysashka
    sunnysashka Posts: 296
    I am 126 pounds and hoping to get down to 116. I am only 5ft 1 and so I still feel quite heavy for my height. I try and swim once and week and I go to the gym 2 times a week.

I have been strict with myself and writing down everything in the diary. I have had a couple of disaster days though (particularly at the weekend) but generally I have been strict with myself.

Maybe I should do more exercise?!

You don't have too much extra on you that is why it is so difficult. (I'm in the same situation weight 128 and 5ft 4")

But you should be realistic. If you struggle with 1200 calories make it 1500. It is important to commit to the goals which are realistic! Because as soon as you stop your diet, you will start gaining again. Work out comfortable calorie intake for you and commit it for life.
    The same with excersises if you know that you will not be able to stick to 4-5 times a week shedule, don't do it. Pick comfortable healthy amount of excersizes and commit it to LIFE.
  • izobel
    izobel Posts: 116 Member
    It is quite hard when there is only a little to lose.

Kessie - I would up your calories. If it is too hard it is too tempting to cheat. Really for me 1500 is still hard, but oh so motivating to exercise. I've always been a jogger, but knowing a slow 40 minute run will give me an extra 500+ calories has me out that door much more than pre-MFP. I'm 46 (is that middle-aged?) and not sure if it affects losing weight but it certainly contributes to putting it on!

Vicky - maybe a little more exercise??? I know it is difficult if you are busy, but it does shake up the metabolism. I was surprised to keep losing weight and I'm sure it is because I exercise most days to get the extra calories (almost always over 2,000 and quite often over three.)

Good luck to both of you. It is so demoralising when you work hard and the results are disappointing.

Isobel
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    5'1" and 126 is a BMI of 23.8, you are definitely NOT heavy for your height.
  • Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the support!!!
This discussion has been closed.