Please... correct database entries

Options
sannsk
sannsk Posts: 203 Member
I scanned a barcode on my new box of cereals this morning and this showed up as result: "Kellogg's - Special K Cereal 30g With Full Skimmed Milk 125ml."

Please people, if yo add a bar code item, do it correctly! I do not think there was any milk in that box of cereal. And yes, maybe it's convenient that you have your entire breakfast in one scanning, but it's deliberate wrong input.

I do not eat my Special K with Full Skimmed milk (what is that by the way :noway: is it skimmed or full?), I drink it with soy milk. Or Yoghurt. Or for a snack I will eat it dry.

This a petition to enter your items the way you read them on the nutrition label!

Thank you :flowerforyou: My rant is now over...

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I scanned a barcode on my new box of cereals this morning and this showed up as result: "Kellogg's - Special K Cereal 30g With Full Skimmed Milk 125ml."

Please people, if yo add a bar code item, do it correctly! I do not think there was any milk in that box of cereal. And yes, maybe it's convenient that you have your entire breakfast in one scanning, but it's deliberate wrong input.

I do not eat my Special K with Full Skimmed milk (what is that by the way :noway: is it skimmed or full?), I drink it with soy milk. Or Yoghurt. Or for a snack I will eat it dry.

This a petition to enter your items the way you read them on the nutrition label!

Somebody has taken the time to put it in like that, as that is the way they eat theirs.

If you want it differently, just add in your own. then next time it will be there for you. You can even name it so that it's obvious to you which one you added - like Sannsk's Special K, or something.

As the database is made up of things entered by humans, there will always be some human error.

Don't stress over it, just add your own instead of relying on other people to know how you eat your food.
  • sannsk
    Options
    Anyone can add whatever they please to the database. I really don't mind if someone eats their cereal with milk or vodka martini...

But don't link a scanning barcode to it. It makes the bar code system unusable for others.

Barcodes, in my opinion, should be universal and correct.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add whatever they please to the database. I really don't mind if someone eats their cereal with milk or vodka martini...

But don't link a scanning barcode to it. It makes the bar code system unusable for others.

Barcodes, in my opinion, should be universal and correct.

I suppose cereals is an odd one, as unfortunately their box does show the Calories per 100g, and also per 30 serving with semi skimmed milk, so if it wasn't for the words "Full skimmed" the entry would be correct.

I agree, Full skimmed makes no sense whatsoever! :)
  • sannsk
    Options
    I've always found it weird that they put it per 30g serving with semi skimmed milk on the box. As shown, it confuses people.
    To accuratly track calories, the person who linked the scanning code to the item would've better just added the plain 100g nutrition values, so that that it was universal for everyone.

Who knows what kind of milk the cereal people have used to calculate their values. This is just an informational input, the correct data is in the plain 100g label.

This is not just about cereal boxes, though. I've come across many items (with or without bar codes) that had deliberate lower values on sugar or fat, just so that someone could stick to their daily goal... It's just lying to yourself, you're not going to get any healthier by doing this...
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Yes, people can add whatever they like to the DB but they also have the option to keep it to themselves.

Putting in something that is blatantly wrong is not good as too many people think MFP is awesome and believe anything that comes up.
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Somebody has taken the time to put it in like that, as that is the way they eat theirs.

If you want it differently, just add in your own. then next time it will be there for you.

no, people should put their own special stuff in their "my foods" thing and not add it to the database. it's annoying as **** to have to spend ten minutes going through 100 entries of useless crap.
  • MadameMC
    MadameMC Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I think it comes from people adding custom entries the way they want to have it calculated, and then they tick "share with MFP" so it gets added to the DB. I guess some things shouldn't be shared.

Any time I'm adding an item, if I have the nutrition info handy I double check to make sure it's entered into the database correctly, and if it's not, I'll correct it.
  • mhcoss
    mhcoss Posts: 220
    Options
    I completely Agree. Barcodes should give you nutrition by weight or volume if it is a liquid. I usually correct barcodes If I find them like that.
  • Fred1950
    Fred1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it's annoying as **** to have to spend ten minutes going through 100 entries of useless crap.

I agree with you!
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm with the OP on this one.
  • dbwolk
    dbwolk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is an old entry, but it is relevant. I need to correct an entry I added to the database. I miscalculated and the calories and nutritional information are actually 1/3 as much as they should be! How do I correct this?
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    dbwolk wrote: »
    This is an old entry, but it is relevant. I need to correct an entry I added to the database. I miscalculated and the calories and nutritional information are actually 1/3 as much as they should be! How do I correct this?

Usually you can go to the entry you entered and correct it yourself. However, at least for me there's an bug where this is currently not possible. I guess your best bet is to make a new database entry.