help with squats

Options
I'm doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 and I've noticed my lower back aching.

Looking at the reasons Mehdi gives on Stronglifts.com I think it likely that I am both overarching my back so as not to injure it, and also not tensing my glutes etc. Obviously it is pretty hard to see what your back is doing without someone to watch (why don't they put mirrors in the gym at the side as well?) but that's the most likely cause.

Next time I do the workout I plan to deload. Would taking it down to 30kg (currently squatting 52.5kg) be a good place? I don't want to go right back to the bar as I don't think I can practice form that well if I feel the bar is too light.

Also, anyone any other tips on how to ensure no back problems? What is the difference between high bar squats and low bar squats?

a couple of bits about me - I'm female, pretty flexible in the hips (hyperextensive) although can't go ATG whilst keeping feet flat on ground. I started squatting a few months ago with a PT from a hardcore body building gym but have only just started SL5x5. After Stronglifts, I plan to move onto NROL4W whilst training for a Tough Mudder.

Replies

• Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    ' What is the difference between high bar squats and low bar squats?
    [/quote

High bar squats are done with the bar just on or below traps.

Low bar squats are done with the bar well below the traps and on the scapula.

Form is total different for both you need to figure out what type you want to do and work on form, you will injury yourself of you perform then incorrectly.

Low bar details can be found on Starting Strength website.

High Bar: http://artofmanliness.com/2012/10/04/know-your-lifts-the-back-squat/

Some reading: http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

I prefer high bar squats as it causes less pressure on elbows, elbows will hurt kike hell when you get really heavy with LB Squats if your form is off just a little.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Bump for tips - I tend to feel squats a lot in my quads instead of glutes sometimes...
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Could you record it on a phone or similar to watch it back?

A lot of the Gyms I've been in will have mirrors on two walls for just that reason!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    ' What is the difference between high bar squats and low bar squats?
    [/quote

High bar squats are done with the bar just on or below traps.

Low bar squats are done with the bar well below the traps and on the scapula.

Form is total different for both you need to figure out what type you want to do and work on form, you will injury yourself of you perform then incorrectly.

Low bar details can be found on Starting Strength website.

High Bar: http://artofmanliness.com/2012/10/04/know-your-lifts-the-back-squat/

Some reading: http://70sbig.com/blog/2012/01/low-bar-vs-high-bar-squatting/

I prefer high bar squats as it causes less pressure on elbows, elbows will hurt kike hell when you get really heavy with LB Squats if your form is off just a little.

thanks for those links - i have read through Starting Strength on squats but he focusses on low bar - you're right, I need to make a decision on it.

I might fix my GoPro to the rack next time and set the video rolling......
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Look for some videos on youtube. I think I saw some on either the Starting Strength Website or on Youtube about how some women that have good flexibility on their hips tend to overextend their back. Look for the ones with Mark Rippetoe.

Make sure you are tightening your core, you may want to look into a lifting belt to use with your heavy sets if you are worried too much.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 and I've noticed my lower back aching.

Looking at the reasons Mehdi gives on Stronglifts.com I think it likely that I am both overarching my back so as not to injure it, and also not tensing my glutes etc. Obviously it is pretty hard to see what your back is doing without someone to watch (why don't they put mirrors in the gym at the side as well?) but that's the most likely cause.

Next time I do the workout I plan to deload. Would taking it down to 30kg (currently squatting 52.5kg) be a good place? I don't want to go right back to the bar as I don't think I can practice form that well if I feel the bar is too light.

Also, anyone any other tips on how to ensure no back problems? What is the difference between high bar squats and low bar squats?

a couple of bits about me - I'm female, pretty flexible in the hips (hyperextensive) although can't go ATG whilst keeping feet flat on ground. I started squatting a few months ago with a PT from a hardcore body building gym but have only just started SL5x5. After Stronglifts, I plan to move onto NROL4W whilst training for a Tough Mudder.

I had pretty much the EXACT same issue when I did 5x5, I worked on my form, keeping my chest up and looking up when I squatted. It worked itself out.

I always go high bar, I find it the most comfortable position as I can rest it across my traps.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    try to film your sets for someone to see.

arching is fine. rounding is not.

You've got the right idea though, drop the weights, work on form, then build back up.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I used a youtube video to make sure I was doing it right.

Ask someone in the gym to help you, that's what the PT etc are there for.

I would recommend however that you start off on very light weights until you get your form right, or you will hurt yourself. I can assure you lower back injuries is not something to be sniffed at - been there, done that.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    De-loading and working back up is a good idea.

I've known people (myself included) to end up with sore lower backs from firing the legs too early, and ending up with mid-squat-good-morning thing going on.
    Concentrate on making the bar go up, that's your aim, and try not to over emphasise your legs.
  • benmarcum
    benmarcum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My Advice is to do a little secondary work ... I have a feeling you are over arching your back to compenstae for lesser developed muscles. Do some Romanian dead lifts.... (best to look them up on you tube, but its a lighter weight, but you keep your legs straight so you are bending at the waist and picking straight up) really works your lower back and helps strength it. Depending on your gym they might have a back machine (looks like an ab machine but you lean back) Sorry not try to sound like a jerk, just trying to explain it so anyone that reads this might understand what im talking about. Also use the leg press machine but lighten up the weight and do one leg press (really works your hips and butt, as well as your leg). I think if you do a little secondary muscle work it would really help with your form for squats. Hope that helps. Good luck.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    As stated by agggie550, doing some accessory work to help you strengthen your lower back would definitely be beneficial. I would recommend doing front squats and dimel deadlifts (or something similar) and a lot of glute activation work (barbell hip thrusts, pull throughs) Also, taking a wider stance, spreading your knees and your feet really wide and contracting your glutes on the way into the hole will help you shift the stress onto your hips more than your low back.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

hey these were great - really made me think about which parts of my body I am using wrongly.

and thanks everyone else - I will have a good long look at form and try and figure out the most necessary accessory exercises. a lot of good stuff to think about.