Any ideas out there?

Oompa_Loompa
Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So when I go to the gym I use the arc trainer for 30 minutes. The machine says that I burn 400 calories but I log it in as 300 because I know that those machines are set to like a 150 pound male or something like that. I am getting a HRM when I get paid this week but I'm wondering if anyone has a clue if 300 calories sounds reasonable. I'm just getting paranoid that I'm not actually burning as many calories as I thought i was and that Im eating over my calories everyday. I tried looking up online but I couldnt find anything. Does anyone have any insight on this??

Replies

• Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    aww man..guess no one has any ideas lol
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    I think you will have a better idea once you get your HRM. Aside from that, I am clueless
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    The caloric expenditure for any cardio exercise is: intensity x body weight. To give you a reference point--at your weight (59-60 kg, based on your ticker), running 6.0 mph outdoors would burn between 550-600 calories/hour. I don't know if you can run at that speed for an extended time, but if you can, you can use that effort as a gauge of your effort on the Arc Trainer.

I don't have any info about the Arc Trainer concerning it's general accuracy, but 400 calories in 1/2 hour at your size sounds a little high--you would have to be in the sub-20 minute 5K range of fitness to have the fitness level to burn that much.
This discussion has been closed.