Is it normal to have very low energy day after workout?

Options
I've been doing a pretty intense zumba class twice a week, which is great and i love it but the next day i'm feeling really fatigued and drained - is this normal or is there anything i'm doing wrong? (diary is open).

Replies

• akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I always have more energy, but you had a pretty intense workout. I would say, see how it goes and if it keeps happening, go to the doctor and get some blood tests.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Based on your ticker, and how much it says you have to lose, your calorie goal seems really low. Fatigue is always a red flag for not eating enough.
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I have found if I workout but don't at least meet my calorie goal (before exercise) I am really tired and weak the next day. I try to eat at least half of my exercise calories back. Must fuel the machine! =)
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I think this will go away once you're in better shape
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've only had a quick flick through your diary but I wonder if you are tired as you aren't eating enough? You don't eat a huge amount and some of your meals are quite small?
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    again as others are saying you may not be eating enough. i had the same problem if i had a large defic the day before. I always make sure I eat back exercise calories especially if I've done alot.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If you're eating your exercise calories back and are still wiped out, perhaps your deficit is set too low or you're burning more calories than you think. Try adding a few hundred on your Zumba days and see if you feel better the next day.
  • joddumz
    Options
    I'm always at or over my calorie goal and have started taking an iron supplement to boost energy levels.

is there such a thing as loosing too much salt - i get quite sweaty??

I don't find it as bad with the circuits class I do as well - for some reason more with zumba? hmm
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling completely wiped the day after strength training and sometimes I even can't sleep that night. :-(
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You probably aren't eating enough.
  • tankame
    tankame Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make sure you eat a good high protein breakfast every morning especially if you are on a workout routine.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you do high intensity exercise your muscles use glycogen for fuel, and it takes around 2 days for them to refill with glycogen. This is why you need to take in carbs after exercise, especially high intensity (anaerobic). Feeling tired and out of energy can be a symptom of this.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Do you have anything for post workout?

I used to feel that way but now I have protein shakes after an intense workout. Maybe you could try that?
  • ninjakowski
    Options
    I think when first starting a more intense workout level it can be normal to feel a bit over-tired, but if you've been doing the zumba classes for more than a couple of weeks, I'll add a vote for possibly not eating enough. When I try to cut calories back too far, I get so exhausted when I workout. Maybe try bumping your daily allowance up a couple of hundred calories, at least on workout days if not every day and see how you feel. A protein shake after the workout is a great idea too.
  • Squishy_hapa_mama
    Squishy_hapa_mama Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post but I wanted to comment. I was feeling low energy myself lately, so several of the topics in this post really helped me figure out what was going on. I think it was a combination of too low calories, over training, needing more protein, and low electrolytes. I've been working on all of those things and I feel much better now. Thanks guys!