very disappointed

Options
I got up this morning to do my weight and I gained 3.8 I am very disappointed in myself. I guess I need to get more on track. I need to go do some major grocery shopping and get lots of veggies. I keep thinking salad would taste so good but when I see lettuce for $4 a small head I think thats alot for lettuce. One thing I am proud of though since starting this all I have not had a potato chip thats a big thing for me if they are in the house.and they were. Also I have been doing the 30 day shred so that is another good thing. I am sure not perfect at it but I am trying my best. Hope the weather is soon better to get out walking it seems like I am inside all the time. I have a treadmill but it is in my basement and it is so hot down there with wood heat you can't stand to go down to go on it. Sounds like an excuse but I am seriuosit is like 90 degrees in there at least. Well I must go for now and I hope that you all had a better week then me last week. This week I will do better.

Replies

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    WHOOOAAA THERE!!! you sound downright suicidal over this *kitten*!!

First things first, lady - good job on not eating those damn potato chips!! shows you're in the zone and on the right track!!
    maybe get them out the house though, since through experience I've found food has a tendency of being eaten believe it or not.

No need to disspointed! you're doing the right things!! trying hard and being here is more than what most folk do, so chin up!!

Secondly, ignore your scale! it's useless. YES USELESS! anyone who tell you to weigh in once a week is a total *kitten*-wipe. Scales weigh every single part of you from your brain to you bowels and I will tell you this now.

When you weighed in 3.8 over ?? THAT WAS WRONG!!

oh and something else...

When you weighed yourself last week, THAT WAS WRONG TOO!!!

Scales are seldom right and even when they are, I'd still pay no attention to it.

Weight loss is about RESULTS NOT NUMBERS!!!! go by your jeans size and the mirror or a tape measure!! far better and more motivational unlike those unproductive scales!!

thirdly!! *kitten* YEAH!! lettuce and other healthy foods can be expensive, but it you cook it right you make that little ball of leaves last 3 or 4 meals if your portions are right!!! look online for cheap food shopping lists! some stores actaully give you the prices/ receipes for a weeks worth of food for $15 or something!! shop around look online!!! there are so many bargains!!!

Treadmill in the basement? it's hot in there!!?? Take tons of water and do 10 mins!!! the heat will make you sweat!!! it's all good!!!

good luck on your Journey!!

BOOM!!!!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i bet the 30 ds put that extra weight one.. I always gained 3-4 lbs doing 30ds and i didn't lose it for a bit, but once done the program it all came off within a few days! don't worry, it's probably only water retention and will be back off in no time. I know it's disappointing on weigh in day when you are up but don't give up!
  • angelacarmela0830
    angelacarmela0830 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree, the scale isn't the best thing to go by. You need to measure yourself ( waist, arms, legs, etc.)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's probably water retention. Since I assume you are not pigging out 3,000 calories a day over what you should normally eat.

Put the scale away for a month. And yes, take your measurements instead of using only the scale.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Don't be so hard on yourself ...the best prt is that you 'recognized' and you're willing to 'adjust' :)
    As far as health foods (lettuce) being so expensive--I've found that most healthy foods are a lil high BUT there are some stores that provide GOOD FOODS for less :):):)

And something I've learned to tell myself (pertaining to the good foods that are a lil' expensive), I'M WORTH IT--tell yourself you're worth it and your health is worth it.

You'll do just fine :)
  • deksgrl
    Options
    I forgot to mention, look at the amount of sodium in the foods you are eating. When I eat Chinese food or other salty things, my weight temporarily goes up, sometimes 5 or 6 pounds. In a few days it goes back down.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You must remember too, that muscle weighs much more than fat. So, if you are working out, as you are losing fat pounds, you should also be gaining muscle pounds. This is a good thing, because those muscle pounds take up much less space in your jeans than fat pounds do AND muscle burns calories just by existing. The more muscle in your body, the more calories you are burning just by being.
    Like the others said, don't pay too much attention to your scales. Your body weight is going to fluctuate a lot because of water retention and other factors. Just keep plugging away and don't eat those chips!
  • sanstreun
    Options
    I usually don't follow the message boards but happened to check this one because I too am always disappointed by the scale. So I just want to say thank you for the positive, encouraging and real words. You are right. The scale means nothing but we are such a goal driven society that those numbers going down are a visual that we are winning. We have to remember that just making right choices is winning. Life is too short and complicated to get depressed over numbers. Love your attitude. We are always harder on ourselves then anyone else would be. *kitten* yeah!!!!!!!!

BOOM back atcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Unlikely that she is building muscle pounds. Eating at a deficit will result in losses, not gains.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I feel soooo much like the original poster^^^^ wow! Weight goes up one day, and down the next. Nothing fits and everything looks good to eat. Working out is a total joke too. One step at a time.....
  • lin7604
    Options
    Unlikely that she is building muscle pounds. Eating at a deficit will result in losses, not gains.

but can you still build or keep what you have at a small deficit?
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself occasionally now but for a year after I changed my eating habits I never weighed myself because the little ups and downs drove me crazy. Like you, I'd get SO frustrated when the scale showed a gain despite all my hard work.

Eventually I noticed my clothes were getting looser, and the little bits of flab that jiggled when I walked up and down steps weren't there anymore. I finally realized the extent of the loss when I went for my annual checkup and I'd lost 17 lbs. (I was 147 and 5'6" to start with, so 17 libs. was just fine with me.)

If the scale is more likely to discourage you than be a support, have someone hide it for you.
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options

First things first, lady - good job on not eating those damn potato chips!! shows you're in the zone and on the right track!!
    maybe get them out the house though, since through experience I've found food has a tendency of being eaten believe it or not.

No need to disspointed! you're doing the right things!! trying hard and being here is more than what most folk do, so chin up!!

Secondly, ignore your scale! it's useless. YES USELESS! anyone who tell you to weigh in once a week is a total *kitten*-wipe. Scales weigh every single part of you from your brain to you bowels and I will tell you this now.

oh and something else...

Scales are seldom right and even when they are, I'd still pay no attention to it.

Weight loss is about RESULTS NOT NUMBERS!!!! go by your jeans size and the mirror or a tape measure!! far better and more motivational unlike those unproductive scales!!

thirdly!! *kitten* YEAH!! lettuce and other healthy foods can be expensive, but it you cook it right you make that little ball of leaves last 3 or 4 meals if your portions are right!!! look online for cheap food shopping lists! some stores actaully give you the prices/ receipes for a weeks worth of food for $15 or something!! shop around look online!!! there are so many bargains!!!

Treadmill in the basement? it's hot in there!!?? Take tons of water and do 10 mins!!! the heat will make you sweat!!! it's all good!!!

BOOM!!!!

I like this guys attitude! The scale can be very disappointing at times. I use it as a guide for maintaining mostly. I still like to see those lower numbers, but just to know I am not going up is making me happy. I float up and down by 2 lbs. usually. It is okay. I "feel" skinnier, my clothes are loose and I look better. That means much more than seeing a number drop. Maybe you should move your treadmill upstairs. I would. Mine is in my bedroom. So is my exercise bike. No excuses here. :) Keep at it! You can do it!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You must remember too, that muscle weighs much more than fat. So, if you are working out, as you are losing fat pounds, you should also be gaining muscle pounds. This is a good thing, because those muscle pounds take up much less space in your jeans than fat pounds do AND muscle burns calories just by existing. The more muscle in your body, the more calories you are burning just by being.
    Like the others said, don't pay too much attention to your scales. Your body weight is going to fluctuate a lot because of water retention and other factors. Just keep plugging away and don't eat those chips!

While muscle is more dense than fat and therefore, per volume, muscle weighs more then fat it is unlikely that you've gained nearly 4 pounds of muscle unless we're discussing over a several months time lapse. Women can gain muscle at about 2 pounds per month if you are doing everything perfectly as far as lifting and eating, but it's particularly difficult. It's more likely water weight from sodium, pms, or muscle repair. there's also the fact that the scale just can't be trusted, it's a tool for monitoring progress, but not the ultimate guide.
  • deksgrl
    Options

You will lose both lean body mass and fat, but with a smaller deficit you will lose less lean body mass than fat. If you exercise, you will strengthen your muscle, but you aren't "building new muscle" that is going to weigh more. You have to eat at a surplus to build new muscle and it is extremely difficult for women to do, because we don't have enough testosterone. For someone who just started exercising, and it's mostly cardio, that's not the answer.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Everyone had some great suggestions, the best being not to be so hard on yourself! we have all expereinced dissapointments on our journeys. I took a peak at your diary, and noticed you said you are dealing with diabetes. I am too, and I can tell you the biggest losses for me come when I'm super good about my carbs. I was told to try and stick to 45 GOOD carbs per meal, and 15 per snack. Good being whole grain, higher fiber, less processed carbs. Just a suggestion.

I do agree with the 10 minute walk in the hot basement will burn a lot more than 30 minutes stroll outdoors, Identify your small NSV's, like completing each session of 30Day Shred ... Thats huge!!

And I agree with Jilllovesdoug, that first poster attitude is spot on!!
  • CherishQuick
    Options

oh and something else...

BOOM!!!!
    Ok, thanks for this. I was TOTALLY feeling the same way as the first writer here. I've been at this, seriously, for 5 weeks and NOTHING. I was weighing myself all the time and just quit. The tape wasn't that great either. Your comments were helpful and I'm looking forward to some beter more motivating days.
    urrrrrr
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

This is frequently debated. Some folks say that you can increase lean mass at a very small deficit, others believe that in order to build lean mass (not strength, but lean mass, these are two different things mind you) you must be in a surplus as you cannot create something out of nothing unless you're a wizard (and even then that's another topic for debate). I believe that at a deficit you lift to preserve as much lean mass as possible, but you will still lose some. Now, it's also important to point out that having excess sources of energy on your body (read obese) does change this formula because your body is working at with a surplus to begin with.
  • lin7604
    Options
    thx. i am still at a 250 deficit as i still haven't hit my goal yet.. it's been months of just losing and gaining the same 3-4 lbs. I a not sure when i shall go up in cals to either maintain or have a surplus if i can?
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options

oh and something else...

BOOM!!!!

Best.Advice.EVER. All of this!! Don't be disappointed based on what the scale says!! It is a picture of that exact moment of time. Get on a second later, it changes. Its an unreliable measure of progress and most definitely an unreliable measure of success!!