Losing 'Grief Weight'.

Options
Hi Everyone,

I am starting a new weight loss journey, and trying to lose 30 pounds of what I'd call 'Grief Weight'. My mother passed away in March, and at the time I had just lost about 40 pounds. After her passing, I turned to food for comfort. I have been eating and eating and eating. Almost one year later, I have gained 30 pounds. Today, I am making a conscious decision to change my eating habits and lose the weight again. I am definitely an emotional eater, and I eat when I'm bored as well.

I am trying to monitor my portions and scale back on serving sizes. This has always been an issue for me. I am also obviously going to find other ways to deal with my grief besides eating.

More about me: I am 30 years old, and have three children. I am also a full-time graduate student.

I could always use more friends and encouragement on here, so feel free to add me!

Replies

• Luvmichnata
    Luvmichnata Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi There-you need to try and channel your grief in a new direction. Start with a short walk, ask a friend to go with you, go to a mall etc. Losing someone is very sad but you don't want it to spiral out of control. If food is your choice of comfort then at least start resetting your mind to eating healthier options. Small steps will get you there faster than you think!
  • GFQueen
    GFQueen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to try to channel my grief in healthier ways. I have a treadmill that has been collecting dust, and I am hoping that I can motivate myself to get back into exercising rather than overeating!

The frustrating thing is that I had been on such a great path to weight loss...eating healthy and exercising...but I let myself get derailed. I didn't realize how far I had let myself go until I tried on clothes that I wore this time last year, and they didn't fit anymore. :angry: :frown:

This is hopefully my first day back on track - so the journey begins (again)!
  • atla_moves
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mother. It's normal to use food to cope, and it's also healthy to realize that it's time to change that. You're going to do great :)

I'm going to add you. I'm a full-time student, too. Undergrad, but hopefully will be starting grad school full-time in 5 months.

Does the GF in your username stand for gluten-free?
  • GFQueen
    Options
    GF does stand for 'Gluten Free'. I was gluten free for about three weeks, hoping to see some health benefits, but I didn't find it to be very helpful for me. I know so many people who felt great after cutting gluten, but I wasn't one of them!

So I guess GF stands for 'Gluten Full' now! :laugh:
  • Shanellz
    Options
    I totally understand! My mother died when I was 18 & I gained 30 pounds. Now I'm trying to lose it 5 years later..
  • swingsnatchlift
    swingsnatchlift Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your mothers passing. My dad died just over a year ago, and I've done the same thing. Would love to support you.
  • pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Very sorry for you loss. Great decision to come here though! Losing my mom is what brought on a lot of pounds for me too and one of the main reasons I came here to track & find support to get fit again. Exercise has helped me a LOT and getting healthier is making me start to feel more sane also. Good luck in your new start!
  • GFQueen
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the kind words and support!

I am sorry to all the posters who lost a parent. It is such a difficult journey. I do agree that directing my energy toward exercise and healthy eating is a much better way to cope. I am at the point where I feel my eating is being controlled by my feelings, not my hunger. The problem is, that food is only bringing temporary comfort, and causing me to gain weight...which makes me feel worse, and makes me eat even more. Really a vicious cycle that I'd love to break!
  • janahcarter
    janahcarter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your Mother's passing. My Dad died February 2011 and I ate my feelings like there was no tomorrow for the rest of that year. I decided in Jan 2012 that I was going to make my Dad proud and lose the weight. I lost 30 pounds from Jan 2012 to Dec 2012. Would have been more but I wasn't fully committed. I have really buckled down this year but with the 2 year anniversary of him being gone coming up, I feel myself slipping back into old habits. Losing a parent sucks.
  • princessjennie1
    Options
    Hi I am a total comfort eater and would like to know how to stop this I have had enough of it now it is not comforting!! x Good luck with your weight loss and sorry about your loss x
  • tpatterson458
    tpatterson458 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for the loss of your Mother. I know what it is like to be an emotional eater. We just need to remember how good we felt when we previously lost weight. And make this the last time for this type of struggle. You will do it!
  • Hirgy03
    Hirgy03 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    First off, I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I don't think people that haven't lost somebody so close fully understand how devastating something like that can be. Coming up on 9 years ago, I lost my wife to cancer (we were both in our early 30's at the time). I went through the grief, then followed that up with a drunken pity party for a few years.

Anyway, for what its worth, something hit me one day and I've used it as a motivation ever since. I started thinking of what I would feel if the roles had been reversed, had it been me to die instead of her. What would I have thought had i looked down to see her throwing her life away using pity and grief as an excuse (don't get me wrong, not saying that grief is an 'excuse' necessarily....we all have to go through that mourning period and for some its longer than others. However, those of us who have been through it know when the grief turns into self-pity, when the feeling bad for them changes to feeling sorry for ourselves, etc. and so forth) to waste her life away. How would I feel about her letting her life pass her by, using MY death as an excuse and shield from criticism? I would have hated it. I would have wanted to scream at her until she finally woke up.

That was when I started looking into the whole Livestrong bracelets' meaning. It wasn't intended to just show that either I or somebody I loved had been through the struggle of cancer. Instead, the true meaning of them (as I read somewhere) is a living promise to those who have lost the battle, or at least those who've gone through it and somehow survived, that I vow to LIVE STRONG in honor of them. It really hit me that day, and its stuck with me ever since. Now, when I see myself starting to lean towards self-pity and self-destructive behavior, I remember that by living stronger, by becoming a better version of me.....THAT is how I honor her. THAT is how I show that her LIFE, not her death, has inspired me to make the most out of every day I'm given. And that by throwing away any chance of more days on this earth is almost like spitting in her face, because she loved life. She would cherish every single day, every single smile, every single laugh, every bit of everything that life has to offer. Since she didn't get that chance, it would be an insult to her memory for me not to appreciate what I have and do everyhing I can to become a better me.

I know that this isn't an answer to your question, but when I see stories like yours, I always want to try to offer that bit of encouragement. If that logic is used by one out of every 100 people I tell it to, I feel its worth mentioning. Good luck on your journey.......and I'd say you will be a success just from the simple fact that you've come here for support.
  • GFQueen
    Options
    Hirgy03 - Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and inspiration. I am so sorry for your loss, but very inspired to hear how you channeled your grief in a positive way.

My mother's illness was cancer - it blindsided us because she was only 50 years old and had been previously very healthy. It was a very aggressive strain, and she passed only 8 weeks after her initial diagnosis.

I had never thought of the Livestrong bracelet message in the way you mentioned - as a way for the survivors missing who lost the battle to better ourselves and live stronger. I am going to reflect on that often. Thank you.
  • shannon128
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss and everyone else who posted above. My mom passed away when I was in high school. Losing a parent is incredibly hard.

However, I am really glad to hear that you are starting to make a huge change in your life! Exercise is by far the best thing you can do for yourself. . I am sure most people would agree that it does wonders on both your physical and mental state.
  • CerrissaW
    CerrissaW Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Today is my first day on this site. I am very sorry for your loss and for the loss of all the others on this site. To the gentleman who lost his wife in his 30's, I lost one of my best friends six years ago and I know from watching her husband and young children how devastating losing a partner is. I also know that losing a parent is devastating. My father passed away almost two years ago and I put on about 20 pounds during my most intense time of grief. I was 46 when he died but no matter what age you are, when you lose someone you love it's very difficult. I also put on 20 pounds that I never took off when I started having miscarriages, the first when I was 28 and the last of seven miscarriages when I was 42. I have two wonderful boys who are 9 & 11 and very active and I don't think they really believe me when I tell them I was thin and a decent athlete myself through college. I really want to keep up with them, play basketball and soccer, run and hike so my motivation is multi-level.

I have been on and off the weight loss wagon now for about 15 years and really think it's time for me to make a permanent change. My father died of obesity related issues at the young age of 68 and I know he does not want for me to have to face the same sorts of challenges he did as he grew older. His death gave me the courage to quit my full-time job and work only part-time (with the support of my husband) so I could pursue my dream of finishing my novel and adopting a career as a writer. I know it's quite a goal but I've been taking writing courses, networking with other writers and most importantly, writing almost every day. I am now also a regular contributor to a Northern California business magazine and that has helped boost my confidence.

My novel centers around a woman and her mother and how they regain their lives after the death of their father/husband by starting a kimchi making business (I am Korean and Scottish/Irish). It centers around healthy food and positive life changes that must be made in the face of adversity. In some ways my desire to lose this weight and get in shape is life imitating art because I have learned so much about myself writing this story. I am currently working on the second draft and hoping by the sixth draft, with help from my writing community, the story will be ready to be sent to literary agents. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for that moment.

One important thing I have learned from writing is that mine is much better when I have help. Mentors, critique partners, friends who will take the time to read my work and give me feedback. After many solitary attempts at weight loss, I am wondering if losing weight would also be easier with support from others who understand where I am coming from who would support me as I support and encourage them. I picked this thread to respond to because everyone seems so compassionate and motivated. I picked MFP because it's free and looks like it offers a good product.

I'm not sure what the next steps are to get involved with a group of people but would welcome any advice.
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your mother. Three years ago my husband passed away & like you I turned to food for comfort. Before MFP I lost 18 lbs of that weight. It took over 2 years for me to join mfp & lose the rest. So far I have kept off those 22 lbs for 2 months. I never want to see them again.
    Please feel free to friend me. We can support each other.
  • sherrymurr
    Options
    I'm sorry, I know you miss her. I lost my husband last May. In the same breath I bless and curse the things that remind me of him and the fact he's gone. The love is still there, and they only want the best for us and us to be our best. In this regard, it's okay to be selfish and take care of yourself. If you need a friend feel free to add me.
  • sruvane
    sruvane Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am grateful to have found this thread on MFP. I'm a certified health coach, having studied whole foods eating for two years at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (2006/2007). My Immersion year included counseling a former Olympic athlete, a personal trainer, and 3 others who were trying to stay the course with healthful eating habits. Sounds like grief eating wouldn't be a problem for me? Wrong. Grief eating stopped me dead in my tracks. Within 3 years of graduating from IIN, I lost both my son (only 24) and his dad (50). I packed on 60 pounds of "grief weight." Grief cannot be underestimated. It came at me like a boulder and rendered me immobile. Just now, two and a half years later, am I ready to get up and set an intention to make a daily effort with MFP. This APP puts health back in my own hands and I am really excited about it. I am looking to lend as well as receive support on the the path back to health, from all of you who have experienced profound loss. Since we all grieve differently and get past obstacles in unique ways, I promise to listen but never tell you what to do. Much love, Sharon :flowerforyou:
  • sruvane
    sruvane Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    35 pounds is a lot of weight lost. Such a great job. I am sure your dad is looking down proudly :heart:
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Found this thread by searching for "grief" just to see if anything came up...

I'm so sorry for all of your losses. Like one poster said, it is hard to truly understand unless one has been there. My mom died suddenly last June and I dealt with the grief weight in the amount of about 50 pounds (40 of them in abotu 2 months, no exaggeration).

I came back to MFP and am slowly but surely getting it off again.

I was a wreck for about 4 months, and then I started to adjust a bit, with less crying and actually going to work and taking care of myself (like Mom would have wanted). I'm dreading the "one year gone" date. I've started to become ridiculously emotional again the last couple of weeks, crying at the drop of a hat, etc... And June 18th is still a couple of months away.