Intermittent fasting

Options

Replies

• Miiimii
    Miiimii Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I do 5/2 and 16/8, but the last one is not planned, it's just a side effect of my normal eating routine - no breakfast, lunch at 1 p.m and dinner aournd 8p.m.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I find intermittent fasting on Chick-Fil-A waffle fries works best...1 medium serving 1 day 1 week, none for the next week, then repeat. Works perfect...great results...1 day a month I am super happy. Or is this not what you mean?
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    To anyone who is interested, I have written two in depth articles about IF and it's 3 main methods - lean gains, 5:2 (eat stop eat) and The Warrior Diet.

What is IF?
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/42541710879/how-i-lost-15-3lbs-in-28-days-with-intermittent

Health benefits of IF?
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/42744214630/how-i-lost-15-3lbs-in-37-days-with-the-health-benefits

If you'd like to follow my week to week progress with IF and heavy lifting, like my FB page http://www.facebook.com/YummyGalley

Also this article I wrote because people were pissing me off when they said I needed to eat breakfast
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/41859144184/myth-eat-frequently-to-stoke-the-metabolic-fire
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I love IF. I started off last year doing 16/8 and it really helped me get a handle on my eating habits, controlling cravings etc. and teaching my body to recognise when it actually physically needed food or just thought it did. Unfortunately, I'm a student right now and my schedule is crazy so I haven't been able to focus so much on it. I just eat when I can. I do notice the difference though and as soon as my schedule goes back to normal (hopefully around May) then I should be able to get back into it. I do want to say to all those saying it's not healthy or whatever, then that's fine, that's your opinion but remember that everyone is different and everyone loses weight differently. Individual's have to find what works for them and what is going to continue to work. If you don't like it then don't do it but it doesn't make it unhealthy or a bad idea.
  • Fatandfifty3
    Fatandfifty3 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    To anyone who is interested, I have written two in depth articles about IF and it's 3 main methods - lean gains, 5:2 (eat stop eat) and The Warrior Diet.

What is IF?
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/42541710879/how-i-lost-15-3lbs-in-28-days-with-intermittent

Health benefits of IF?
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/42744214630/how-i-lost-15-3lbs-in-37-days-with-the-health-benefits

If you'd like to follow my week to week progress with IF and heavy lifting, like my FB page http://www.facebook.com/YummyGalley

Also this article I wrote because people were pissing me off when they said I needed to eat breakfast
    http://yummygalley.tumblr.com/post/41859144184/myth-eat-frequently-to-stoke-the-metabolic-fire

Thank you!! Can't wait to read!
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a chance to read the links. I had to make myself start eating breakfast and I rarely eat after 7 pm. Usually don't want anything after dinner so this may suit my lifestyle. Curious question? If I workout in the AM and lift heavy, do I wait until 11 to eat? I do not eat before my workouts now but I always drink a protein shake within an hour after lifting. I was told it was very important to muscle recovery and rebuliding. What is IF's take on that?

Thankls!!
  • psychobabble78
    psychobabble78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sorry, thought this was intermittent farting. I do that all the time.

Fasting seems pretty stupid to me. I'm sure there are less extreme methods of getting results.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/695972-intermittent-farting?hl=Intermittent+farting

In all seriousness, IF is really not extreme at all. There are different variations that have smaller feeding windows like 23/1 and 20/4 but most people that do 16/8 basically just skip breakfast. I don't consider skipping breakfast to be extreme.

Here's the problem I have with that statement. When i was a teenager, I skipped breakfast and lunch regularly, ate from 3-7 and "fasted" the rest of the time. And I gained 100 pounds in four years, two years of which I mostly ate cabbage soup (not pizzas and burgers and other fatty foods...I knew i was heading for disaster and not eating and eating soup was my attempt to stop the train wreck).

I DO NOT recommend skipping meals. If you are losing weight, it is DESPITE your fast, not because of it. Eat lettuce all day if you want to survive on fewer cals, but fasting causes your metabolism to shut down. Not Good.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc156352/

+1. IF works great for me. Helps me keep my calories in check and no binging. If I eat when I first get up then I'm starving all day long, I delay it till noon and I'm golden. People that do IF realize that the IF doesn't cause weight loss, we know it still is cals in vs. cals out. But the other health benefits are worth it. It does not cause your metabolism to shut down nor does eating 6+ meals/day speed it up. You more than likely gained 100 lbs due to yo-yo dieting, not feeding yourself enough calories and destroying your metabolism. You didn't gain it from skipping meals, unless those skipped meals caused you to eat more than you burn when you did eat because you were starving. I

Excellent post...
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    I fast 3 times within a 24 hour period with great results everyday. The break down is: 13.5/4.5/4.5 hours of fasting First, I eat a good, healthy dinner as I start my main fast at night. After dinner, I fast for approximately 13.5 hours. Next, I eat break-FAST to break my fast. After a good, healthy breakfast I start my smaller fast of approximately 4.5 hours. Since, I am moving, using my body, I do a quick top up of energy and eat a good, healthy lunch and then fast for an additional 4.5 hours. Now, this process brings me back to dinner and you start the process all over again. I fast a grand total of 22.5 hours each day! Thats a total fasting time of 157.5 hours a week! This combined with exercise gets great results. Happy Fasting!
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    results?!

YOU WANT RESULTS?!!!

BOOOMM!!!!

a33681fc-1657-41f9-a8c3-73a431d21fe7_zpsc3b29f67.jpg

thats 3 months right there!! 16/8 fasting!!!

30 lbs burned straight up!!!

That is great! But thats not to say that you couldn't have achieved 30lb. in 3 months doing it another way. It doesn't prove it works any better than other ways.

I do wish I could do short term fasting at night though... :S
  • bsix3
    bsix3 Posts: 291
    Options
    Learn to eat healthy and you won't need to fast.

I do both, u mad bro?

baaahahaha! well...are you???
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • EdwarddeVere
    Options
    All you doubters.. further proof fasting works

children-75566291114.jpeg
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Haven't had a chance to read the links. I had to make myself start eating breakfast and I rarely eat after 7 pm. Usually don't want anything after dinner so this may suit my lifestyle. Curious question? If I workout in the AM and lift heavy, do I wait until 11 to eat? I do not eat before my workouts now but I always drink a protein shake within an hour after lifting. I was told it was very important to muscle recovery and rebuliding. What is IF's take on that?

Thankls!!

The studies I've read (and it doesn't mean that there aren't others that say otherwise) say that you should eat within 2-6 hours after working out (for best results). [I've only read two studies that specifically investigated the relation between the time post work out and eating]. I think that if you work out early then eat at 11am, that would be fine. It's probably more important how you feel after working out. You might really feel like eating (or having a protein shake) after working out for the first week or so (just because it's habit) but if you really feel bad, you might want to re-*kitten*. Just my opinion.

I tend to work out about 2-3 hours before I break my fast and that's mostly because that's how long it takes me to actually feel hungry post work-out. I find that I feel better lifting fasted and then, like I said, it takes me a few hours to actually feel hungry. Some people don't work out until right before they break their fast because they feel better.
  • monicabuc1
    monicabuc1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    results?!

YOU WANT RESULTS?!!!

BOOOMM!!!!

That is great! But thats not to say that you couldn't have achieved 30lb. in 3 months doing it another way. It doesn't prove it works any better than other ways.

Hes's not saying that you can't do it another way, thousands of other people obviously have, but this was his choice (and mine) of doing it, because that is what works for him and I imagine he actually enjoys it and doesn't see it as "dieting".
  • Bighiker2
    Options
    Hi everyone, question about the 5:2... the two 500 cal days have to be two consequent days, or not?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 16/8 for over a week.
    Even after a lot of cheating it seems like just by eating on a different schedule
    my metabolism has sped way up.
    My husband noticed a hug difference yesterday morning.
    Meal timing and frequency has no effect on your metabolism. The Thermic Effect of Food is the same if you eat 8 small meals or 2 Big meals daily.

I don't believe that's true anymore. Recent human research shows that fasting increases HGH protein production by a factor of 12 in men, a metabolic protein. HGH is short for human growth hormones. HGH is a protein produced by your body throughout your entire life that builds both bone and muscle tissue. At the same time, HGH creates another protein called IGF-1 which is used to break down fat to be used as energy because your body needs a source of fuel in a fasting state. Your pituitary gland produces the most HGH in adolescent to help children grow but slows down as you get older, after age 30. Two ways to increase HGH proteins naturally is to fast or exercise, both of which deprive the body of carbs forcing HGH production increase to create IGF-1 enabling the break down fat.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110403090259.htm
    This recent study also confirmed earlier findings about the effects of fasting on human growth hormone (HGH), a metabolic protein. HGH works to protect lean muscle and metabolic balance, a response triggered and accelerated by fasting. During the 24-hour fasting periods, HGH increased an average of 1,300 percent in women, and nearly 2,000 percent in men.

Edit: I decided to read a bit more into HGH proteins after the news started reporting on pro athletes such as lance Armstrong and MLG baseball player Alex Rodriguez using synthetic HGH injections. They use it because it's hard to test for since your body naturally produces it.

• tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    results?!

YOU WANT RESULTS?!!!

BOOOMM!!!!

I could have done it many ways as there is tons of diets out there. The problem is, with all of those, I'd have been miserable and had to give up a lot of the things which I love.

I.F allows to me have whatever I want, and, in my experience, as much I want. I haven't cut back on food and a majority of the time actually ate MORE than I used too.

For me, I.F is the easiest way I can fit being healthy into my life and not miss out on all the foods I enjoy.

Example... Pancake day was yesterday. I ate the 3 biggest pancakes I've ever seen in my life, topped with all kinds of rubbish!! And a chocolate creme egg. And a packet of crisps. and a packet of caramel waffles the day before.

I woke up this morning lighter than ever!!!

It works.