replacing french fries and chips.

Options

Replies

• KristenE83
    KristenE83 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I found that roasted chick peas fix my salty/crunchy cravings pretty well. I wing it but this recipe is pretty close to what I do!

http://www.chow.com/recipes/30368-spicy-oven-roasted-chickpeas
    Make sure you dry the heck out of them!!!!
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I go with baked sweet potato fries. I cut up a sweet potato, rinse and pat dry (gets rid of some excess starch), toss in a beaten egg white/seasoning (usually cinnamon/paprika), and bake on a sheet I spray with Pam. The egg white gives it a little bit of 'crunch' like normal fries

I was going to recommend sweet potato fries as well. They are surprisingly delicious!
  • aproctor1120
    Options
    Pringles Baked Wheat Stix - Jalapeno flavor is my favorite. 90 Calories per pack
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Any raw veggie that you like. I particularly like baby carrots and celery for eating with sandwiches.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Baked parsnips with chili powder and curry.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K cracker chips in Sea Salt. 30 "chips" for 110 calories. Sometimes you just need the crunch.

^ These are good.

I like carrot chips too ... OK not salty, but definitely crunchy
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers act as a really good "crunch" substitute!

So does carrots or celery sticks
  • bcl003
    bcl003 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I eat a sandwich for lunch every day (actually just started eating in pita form, yum) and I needed a replacement and found that carrots and hummus work for me. I am getting completely addicted to hummus and I can eat a ton of carrots without worrying about blowing my calorie intake for the day. I am partial to the red pepper hummus and even use it as a spread on my sandwich instead of mayo. I also enjoy the carrots and hummus with a good burger, but I also like sweet potato fries (could definitly eat those as dessert though).
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes are a nice salty substitute! Or an apple or banana...eat the fruit first and fill up on that and then the sandwich.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    A cucumber and blueberries. It's not a replacement really but they're delicious and convenient so I'm happy to eat them instead of chips or potatoes. It's probably the combo of the crunch and the sugar that makes them so satisfying.
  • watergallagher
    watergallagher Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Lots of gr8 ideas. Im partial to the prepared options, over the homemeade stuff. Ill keep looking ty all so much
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I broil slices of sweet potatos with oil oil on them, they come out really crispy! Also can bake kale chips with the same, only add some salt and peepr. bake the kale at 375 for 45 minutes and they melt in your mouth,
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love the emerald breakfast on the go nut and granola mix with my sandwiches
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    I cook potatoes...do microwave if that's easier for you...then I cut them and put butter spray on them and fry face down in the pan...once they come out i put sea salt and pepper on them and a bit of ketchup..tastes like french fries to me without the oil
  • whitmars106
    whitmars106 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If you have to have chips, eat the Lays Baked kind. It'll cut down on calories, and you still get your chip fix. Otherwise, use fruit as a side.
  • x_ItNeverEnds_x
    Options
    SWEET POTATO FRIES!!!!

END THREAD!!

Thread ended.
  • seventeendayer
    seventeendayer Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy!! I definitely will have to try this! Thanks!!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    well. ever have edamame beans? with salt they kinda hit the spot.

It's just one of the go-to's in my house when we got not chips/fries.

But ain't nothing wrong with fries. I like to make sweet potato fries, too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You can make french fries from turnips or sweet potatoes.
  • MoMc67
    Options
    Try using baking potatoes, cut them into wedges with skins still on, boil for about 6-7 minutes then put on a baking tray, spray with low cal oil and bake on gas 7 until as crisp as you want them.