DOMS and Jillian Michael's DVDs

Options
Hello! I have just begun Jillian Michael's 6 week 6 pac DVD and have found myself with awfully sore legs, abs and armpits (day one).. to the point that my partner is getting anxious about people thinking he's abused me when I am walking along side him, looking like I could do with the aid of crutches :tongue:

So my question is, do I continue exercising through DOMS? It seems odd to me to put my body through all of that when I can hardly walk, let alone go through the whole routine again? Is this normal? Am I just being a wuss?

I did start her ripped in 30 video a few weeks back, couldn't walk for 4 days :embarassed: , got so scared and never looked at it again! I have managed to get the courage to start this one, I've allowed myself the luxury of a rest day so I should be doing it again today.. Would anyone care to share their experiences of exercising with DOMS? It was slightly better this time than last, so do I fight through the pain?

Replies

• MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    DOMS.. Anyone?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes, assuming it really is DOMS and not an injury. Ok, you're not really being a wuss, you're listening to your body and that's good, but you're misinterpreting what it's saying because the only word it knows is "ow".

You really will feel better if you exercise when your muscles are sore (again, from work they're not used to, NOT injured) and you'll get over the hump where this happens faster and in a couple weeks you won't even remember the DOMS.

Some things you can try:

* Start slower - you know how there's usually an easier version of an exercise? Do that one, even if you can do the harder ones.

* Take breaks - push pause if you want to complete the whole thing or don't if you don't care. Walk around or march in place while you're resting so the blood keeps moving, but don't kill yourself.

* Build in recovery (not rest) days - Do the DVD one day, and some kind of moderate cardio the next. This is where all those dance videos that aren't quite a workout by themselves are useful.

Those first two you want to eliminate eventually, but you can keep going with the third as long as you want. Yes, you will get less benefit than if you could give 110% to the whole program, but you will get way more benefit than if you give up after the first week because it hurts too much. "No pain, no gain" is kind of trueish, but "the more pain I am in the more I am gaining!" is totally not.
  • MN4US
    MN4US Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes, assuming it really is DOMS and not an injury. Ok, you're not really being a wuss, you're listening to your body and that's good, but you're misinterpreting what it's saying because the only word it knows is "ow".

Thank you!! For your kind, compassionate and reassuring reply :) I did have a go again last night and I must say that I was surprised that my muscles didn't really hurt at all during the workout.. and actually hurt a little less after it :D
    You really will feel better if you exercise when your muscles are sore (again, from work they're not used to, NOT injured) and you'll get over the hump where this happens faster and in a couple weeks you won't even remember the DOMS.

Some things you can try:

* Start slower - you know how there's usually an easier version of an exercise? Do that one, even if you can do the harder ones.

* Take breaks - push pause if you want to complete the whole thing or don't if you don't care. Walk around or march in place while you're resting so the blood keeps moving, but don't kill yourself.

* Build in recovery (not rest) days - Do the DVD one day, and some kind of moderate cardio the next. This is where all those dance videos that aren't quite a workout by themselves are useful.

Those first two you want to eliminate eventually, but you can keep going with the third as long as you want. Yes, you will get less benefit than if you could give 110% to the whole program, but you will get way more benefit than if you give up after the first week because it hurts too much. "No pain, no gain" is kind of trueish, but "the more pain I am in the more I am gaining!" is totally not.

I did this time, allow myself to follow the beginner version and stopped once or twice to catch my breath, so I managed to get through it all! I'm really excited about continuing now.. thank you again :D