Crossfit or Bootcamp

Options
13»

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    The fact that the Crossfit organization feels the need to create T-shirts that put down other people's workouts is another good reason to avoid dealing with that franchise.
    Everybody is trying to sell something. Mcdonalds is better than Burger King, Coke is better than Pepsi, Subway is healthier than any other fast food. Crossfit is trying to sell something "elite" and justify why they charge so much more than others.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    Exactly. My box...meaning Crossfit gym to you Heath not so nice gal....has an introductory session, then you decide if you'd like it before you take the mandatory classes before actually joining. During those classes, you go over and over and over again the different moves, correctly mind you, and the workouts are scaled to your capabilities. The if you decide to join you join, if you don't like it, it's easy, you don't join. Unless you actually try it, why don't you STOP knocking it. Have some cooth.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    from the wealth of "knowledge" in her arguments, Health_Gal sounds like she isn't a personal trainer, doesn't know anything about what it takes to become a level one certified crossfit trainer, has never touched a weight in her life, and is trying to use excuses other's who dislike crossfit have said before. do your homework 'gal.' You haven't tried this. You never know, maybe, just maybe, you woudl like it. Maybe it would get you into fantastic shape. maybe you'd eat your words.

the difference between crossfitters and you... is they'll TRY anything. In a safe manner no less. It's all about pushing past your mental walls. and as long as you remain behind yours, you'll never break out of your physical walls either.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you forget about doing Crossfit and find a good boot camp class that has reasonable exercise routines. Crossfit is KNOWN for being extreme to the point of causing injury.

Getting Fit, Even if It Kills You
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=all

Bootcamp programs can be good, or they can be extreme, so I would suggest that people interested in boot camp classes check them out and observe a class or two before you decide if you want to get involved.

Good luck!

Ignore her.

You can hurt yourself doing anything.
    In fact, I've hurt myself sitting at my desk.

I create an exercise and just do it that way. It doesn't go out to everyone so you can call it "Crossfit", "Getting my butt kicked", etc.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say I think the HRM is a great idea and you can use circuit training until you get one. If nothing else, you'd probably be under-estimating.

Moreover, I just wanted to say how amusing (and somewhat annoying it is) that people have a hard time answering questions without going off topic on the pros and cons of your exercise routine. Crossfit seems to be one of those topics. Now next time please try to come up with a thread about doing Crossfit while eating back your exercise calories on a 1200 day plan that includes Shakeology. That would really get them going. Funny how many people have knee replacement surgery from running (I run too, but I am just sayin...) yet Crossfit is *the devil's exercise program.* :tongue:
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, i do appreciate it. While i will agree with you on this, This specific crossfit does not use heavy weights, it is more intense than a bootcamp, and less intense than other Crossfits that i have been too that use heavy weights. This is why i am sticking with this place. Trainor is excellent!!!

But the original question was i do I log it in the exercise area?

I created my own "Crossfit" and log HRM cals
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Now next time please try to come up with a thread about doing Crossfit while eating back your exercise calories on a 1200 day plan that includes Shakeology.

LOL. Worth doing just to see how long it stays up.
  • GeekyGirlLyn
    GeekyGirlLyn Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You just have to pick what you think you may work for you. Crossfit is a mix of weight lifting and endurance training. It builds strength and works you out aerobically. It can be great fun and push you to new levels. Like any exercise it is something you should research and look into before just randomly joining. Despite what people say Crossfit can offer alot of great exercise and weightlifting. Yes there are bad ones and yes some people can be extreme about it. But dont judge all gyms on a few extremes. Like ANYWHERE there is good and bad. Do your research, find yourself a good Crossfit gym.I cant speak for Bootcamp as Ive never done it. But I do Crossfit and its fun, gets me working, gives me a workout and is making me healthier.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, i do appreciate it. While i will agree with you on this, This specific crossfit does not use heavy weights, it is more intense than a bootcamp, and less intense than other Crossfits that i have been too that use heavy weights. This is why i am sticking with this place. Trainor is excellent!!!

Watch out we have a bad *kitten* over here!
  • imprzya
    Options
    Everyone please remember that Crossfit is nothing more than a BRAND that is for the most part using exercises that have been around for ages. The only difference is that Crossfit is pushing people to do those exercises in extreme ways that can often lead to injury and charging people much more than the average gym.

Wow, you must have a really bad experience. I've been doing crossfit for 5 months and have never been pushed to do more weight. In fact, half way into one WOD I realized I had tried to do too much weight and starting switching over to lighter weight and a trainer came right over to help me get the lighter weights on. I think Crossfit is a great workout. I also do bootcamp, and I run, and I bike and I lift weights. I like the fact that crossfit incorperates pull ups, burpees, handstands, etc, you never know what you are going to get. The only people who would hurt themselves in Crossfit are the same people who would go to the Y and try to squat or deadlift or bench too much...I worked at the Y all through college, I know those kind of people, the kind who sacrifice form for weight. They are everywhere, not just at crossfit.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Watch out we have a bad *kitten* over here!

haha i meant I used a HRM to see what I burn in a session ....then went under exercise and created my own workout thing called "crossfit" then did it that way..... People do it all the time.... I didn't mean it in the sense it came off oops!
  • JacsB76
    Options
    Wow. Shocked to hear so many negative things about CROSSFIT. I am a crossfitter and wouldn't change it for the world. I can't do all the heavy lifting that's involved in the Olympic weightlifting part of Crossfit, but I do scale down when I need to as well as modifying a workout when needed... which is a majority of the time. Having been a member of a regular gym for years then going to a Crossfit gym has totally changed my life. I was scared to begin to be honest. But once you get started...it's addicting. The instructors are amazing and no matter the size of the class, I always feel like I am getting a one on one experience. When I think I can't finish a workout of the day, WOD, not only do the instructors root me on but also the others in the class. We have men and women of all ages, shapes, and sizes and they do what works for them. They ensure that I have to correct form in no matter what exercise I am doing. Being a police officer Crossfit has helped me tremendously in the physical aspect as well as given me a greater level of confidence. Please, do not knock on something and bash this "brand" until you have tried it. My warm ups are your workouts. I am sooooo proud to be a Crossfitter!

This is my story to a tee. CrossFitting here in NZ. Was overweight 36yr old mother with baby no 2. Have been supported to slowly lose weight, trim down, gain strength with scaled WODs. Loving it.

Agreed it's not for everyone but it is everyone's own choice so ppl shouldn't hijack the thread and run smear campaigns. How about putting forward positive views about your own programme rather than bashing other people's??? Health Gal.
  • sydcocktail
    Options
    Exactly! Keep up the good work!