P90X....talk to me!

Options
2»

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    SHBoss, quick question? Why did you give the nutrition a bad rating? I is just the high protein, or other factors like heavily relying on their own (very expensive) supplementation?

I can't honestly give any sort of real review of the program or nutrition, because I dropped it after a week, (It's just too much for me right now with tae kwon do, wing chun, parkour, and exams lol) but I do want to come back to it. I followed their the macro ratios for phase one of the plan however, nutritionally, to a tee, and given my exercise hadn't really changed, I'd like to think it did something incredible for my body fat levels. I switched from a 1200cal 50/30/20 carb, fat protein diet, to the low carb high protein diet they recommended, and I honestly could feel the weight and inches just melting off.

.. Maybe it was just the lower carb intake, but it worked wonders for me =)

the things you mention are part of it, but also just a lot of little things I didn't like. Like dried fruit, not a good choice IMHO, dried fruit essentially destroys about 2/3 of the vitamins in the fruit but retains all the sugar. Like a lot of their low fat suggestions, IMHO things that are low fat are usually highly processed, I'm more of a fan of portion control than low fat options. They suggest jerkey, which IMHO is very high in sodium, and they suggest lots of soy based products (including their own stuff), IMHO the jury is still out on soy, there are a lot of medical research foundations that are hedging their bets on soy, at least the kind of soy that people put in these products, yes they are high in protein (but not necessarily in the right KINDS of proteins), Suffice to say, Americans eat more soy per capita than any other country in the world (yes, even more than Asian countries), and basically, I don't know one way or the other whether it's good for you or not, there's some pretty damning evidence that it could be bad, but that evidence is still early in the cycle of proof so I won't say it's been confirmed or not, I'll just leave it at that.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Ahhhh thanks for the explanation!

I guess I never really looked through their menu plan, I just saw things like 10 oz steaks and was like WHOA not happening lol. What about the ratios they recommend? Any thoughts? Like if the nutrients were to come from REAL sources, like nuts, real fruits, fish, etc?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh thanks for the explanation!

I guess I never really looked through their menu plan, I just saw things like 10 oz steaks and was like WHOA not happening lol. What about the ratios they recommend? Any thoughts? Like if the nutrients were to come from REAL sources, like nuts, real fruits, fish, etc?

truth, I'd have to go back and look at it again to be that specific. It's been a few months since I read through the plan, I just remember reading the nutrition aspect, and remembering a few things that stuck out (and that I didn't really like the nutrition portion that much in general, didn't HATE it, but didn't love it either.)