Any one doing Lent?

Options
2»

Replies

• glacier81
    glacier81 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I think giving up Facebook and arguing sound like great ideas! I think we are going to limit tv. I am also giving up stopping at the coffee shop.
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I don't know...is she hot?

How YOU doin.... My name's Lent :flowerforyou:

Ok yes...I wll be doing Lent

Freaking sweet.
  • minibee12
    Options
    Gave up beer. Went to a beer bar last night with a coworker and drank bad wine. I hate this already.

LOL! Hang in there.
  • minibee12
    Options
    Since i'm pregnant i'm not giving anything up that's food related. I'm going to give up negative thinking. Towards myself and others.

Same here! I can't imagine giving up anything food related while pregnant! And anway, Lent isn't alwasy just about "giving up" something physical or mundane -the point of doing that is sacrifice, and the intent in sacrificing what we love, or subjecting oneself to a facet of asceticism is to become more mindful of the spiritual as opposed to the temporal. It's a call to mindfulness as well as to strengthen our relationship with God, because often times, personal and spiritual growth comes during times of aridity.

As such, I'm "giving up" my quick anger impulses towards others; those displays of anger do me no good, and it's a habit I would like to change so I don't set that example for my children.

This sounds awesome!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I'm "giving up" an item from my house every day for lent. Figured it would help charity and declutter! :)
  • shara85
    shara85 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am giving up french fries! Not that I eat french fries all that much... *eyes dart*
  • minibee12
    Options
    I'm "giving up" an item from my house every day for lent. Figured it would help charity and declutter! :)

oh that's an interesting idea!
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Gave up beer last year for Lent.
    The store where I buy beer complained about the lost business. I can't keep that on my conscience. Their families will suffer and go hungry.

This year I will redouble my efforts to give up things that I have already given up. That should count for something.
    Best wishes all on your efforts.
  • Kaathmandu
    Options
    Some great ideas!

... so far, so good ...
  • ISABELCOADY55
    ISABELCOADY55 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've given up meat and alcohol. :smile:
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I gave up giving stuff up.
    Just makes me feel deprived.
    And then I want it more.
    So, no.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I'm fasting every friday and not drinking any alcohol
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Actually yes, I am giving up Easter Eggs.
    Every year I buy them for my DD, and eat them.
    Usually have to buy about 5 lots... Even keeping them in the garage doesn't work. I just go to the garage and get them.
    So I'm giving up Easter Eggs, I'll buy a couple for DD on the Thursday before Easter, but you know what, she doesn't NEED them either, so it will just be a couple of little ones.
    Good luck to all! Hope the new Pope is a good one.